Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/11/2011 5:06:15 AM EST
There was a quote posted on here a while back about how false or excessive civility was contra-survival and I can't seem to find it.

Can someone remember it, point me to it or provide it from their own notes?

I know I said I was taking a few days off from ARFCOM, but the quote occurred here and I need it to work on something somewhere else so I'm kind of stuck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:30:51 AM EST
"Don't become so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance."

^Probably not the one you're looking for but I like it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:07:43 AM EST
Probably not what you're looking for:

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

Al Capone, as quoted in Forbes (6 October 1986)
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:19:10 AM EST
Probably not the one your looking for but:

I have often seen people uncivil by too much civility, and tiresome in their courtesy.
-Michel de Montaigne
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:47:33 AM EST
Another one that you're not seeking, but by far my fav civility quote:

Civility is the lubricant of society.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:20:33 AM EST
Bump for help.

It was an ARFCOMmer who said it and I told him that I was going to keep it.

And now I can't seem to find it.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:27:51 AM EST
"By yielding to a false form of civility, we sometimes allow our critics to intimidate us. Active citizens are often subjected to truly vile attacks. They are branded as mean-spirited, racist, Uncle Tom, homophobic, sexist, et cetera. To this we often respond, if not succumb, so as not to be constantly fighting by trying to be tolerant and non-judgmental. That is, we censor ourselves. This is not civility, it is cowardice, or well-intentioned self-deception at best."

- Justice Clarence Thomas
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:43:36 AM EST
Originally Posted By Nimrod1193:
"By yielding to a false form of civility, we sometimes allow our critics to intimidate us. Active citizens are often subjected to truly vile attacks. They are branded as mean-spirited, racist, Uncle Tom, homophobic, sexist, et cetera. To this we often respond, if not succumb, so as not to be constantly fighting by trying to be tolerant and non-judgmental. That is, we censor ourselves. This is not civility, it is cowardice, or well-intentioned self-deception at best."

Wow. If thats not the quote, it's still a damned good one
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:01:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Zoomer302:

It's from a speech Justice Thomas gave to the American Enterprise Institute in 2001.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:30:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zoomer302:

It's from a speech Justice Thomas gave to the American Enterprise Institute in 2001.

It's not, but it's going in the quote file.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:29:26 PM EST
I remember the thread but not the quote.( I know big help). What I remember is that it was in general discussion.Also the thread was religious in nature.Having to do with ones christian duty towards their fellow man. Hope this helps. I would be interested in reading it again if you find it. Hope this helps.
Top Top