Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 6:53:28 AM EDT
I need some good reading material. I like horror but not the mass murder/serial killer type stuff, but more like the supernatural/unknown -stuff like Stephen King. One of my favorite books was Dean Koontz's Phantoms. Can anyone recommend books along the lines of Phantoms? Stuff that makes you look over your shoulder while your reading or gives you problems sleeping.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Old school - look for H.P. Lovecraft and Fritz Leiber. Both acknowledged huge influences on King.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

Anyone else????
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Necromancer
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm reading a book called Creepers by David Morrel...in a nut shell, "Creepers" are a slang for urban explorers. A group of these folks go into and abandoned hotel in Asbury Park NJ to explore, it's pretty creepy so far but sometimes the writing leaves a little to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The Shadow Over Innsmouth is my favorite HP Lovecraft story.  When the narrator plies the bum with booze to talk about the history of the Marsh family, god it's creepy.

Pet Semetary and The Stand are my favorite King stories.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
"Descent"  by Jeff Hall .  You're welcome.    Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top