Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 2:29:38 PM EDT
How hard is it to change a timing belt? The dealer wants $400 bucks to change it. WTF? I changed a timing belt on a 87 chevy and a 88 jetta in a snap. Whats worth $400? Why is it so much more for a 99 Legacy? I guess there are a few more drive belts in there but that shouldn't be to difficult. Has anyone done this in a Subaru Legacy 2.2L engine? Is it really that hard? Special equipment?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It not to bad, getting the two camshafts lined up is a bit difacult.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You're getting ripped. We only charge $275 at our Subaru dealership - parts and labor. Our labor rate is $78/hr but we charge a fixed rate for the timing belt. Subarus are really simple once you get the crank pulley bolt loose. It takes our Subaru techs about 1-1/2 hours to do one if they're just cruising along. Less if it's close to quiting time [:)]

Are you sure that price doesn't include replacing the cam and crank seals, and or resealing the oil pump? Subarus are notorious for having leaks from those places. One of the bread and butter jobs so to speak.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know, but the cam chain on my bike is rattling, so I have a feeling I'll be finding out...

Probably easier on my car ('pushrod' single cam design) than my bike (DOHC)...

And all mechanic's prices (Especially dealers) are allways high...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And all mechanic's prices (Especially dealers) are allways high...
View Quote

Yeah, they're high, but the dealers don't make a whole lot of money on selling cars, so they have to make up in the repairs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Will I need any special tools? Timing gun? I really don't feel like spending $400 for this. I have done it before on a pushrod engine. A Chevy 305cid where I was able to sit in the engine compartment while changing the belt. The subaru is considerably more cramped. I believe it is a SOHC engine. This concerns me because I want to make sure that the cams are timed correctly. Is there a method of keeping everything timed correctly? Will the car's computer take care of the timing?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Email me so I have your email address and when I get home from work tonight I'll give you the run down on replacing your subaru t-belt. They're quite easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top