Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 5:33:59 AM EDT

I had to absentee vote last week because my schedule (work 8-5, then class all night afterwards) won't allow me to go any time today.  However, when I went to absentee vote, I received a "Challenge Form" for my "provisional" vote.  An explanation with the following was enclosed:

".. your eligibility to vote has been challenged.  In accordance with election laws, your ballot has become a Provisional Ballot and the following proceedures will be taken to verify your eligibility.  You have the right to respond to this challenge and to present reasons as to why your ballot should be counted.

etc. etc."

WTH!?

I am not a felon, and don't know why my vote should be challenged!  I cast my vote and everything but am somewhat disturbed by this.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Much thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Need more info.  What does it say your eligibility is dependant upon?  Generally, the only things that could get you would be voting in the wrong district, and insufficient proof of residency.  

Everyone has been thinking that the democraps will challenge Bush votes as hard as they can.  Provide what they need, and follow up with the election officials in your district.  Do NOT let it die.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the procedures that they indicated shold be followed to have your vote for Bush counted?

Wait a minute, you voted sKerry?

Seriously, follow the procedures or take time off work and go to an election office today.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do NOT let it die.

+1

Don't let them get away with that shit.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Raise hell and DON'T STAY QUIET.  This shit NEEDS to hit the news if and when necessary!

To the elections office you go!

Mike
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Your name could be close to someone who is not eligible and you got flagged.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#6]

no no no, I voted Bush.  I think it might have been a snag in my residence.  My wife and I recently got married and moved into our new house.  I registered and everything, (which put me in a voting jursidiction close to the house) but I went downtown to the courthouse to cast my absentee.  Also, we don't have a home phone, we rely on our cell phones.  I wonder if that had anything to do with it (they couldn't find me in the book or something).
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
[conspiracytheory]Or it could be that someone else has already voted for you, which would challenge yours.[/conspiracytheory]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
[conspiracytheory]Or it could be that someone else has already voted for you, which would challenge yours.[/conspiracytheory]

+1!

Somehow find the time to contact your precinct and discuss this.  Better yet, go down there WITH plenty of ID and proof of residency in your precinct.  Someone probably has corrupted the voter data base whrere you live.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Pulled this quote just now from an AP story:

"The prospect of unprecedented legal challenges hung over Election Day, each side sending thousands of lawyers into motion to monitor the flood of newly registered voters and mount hair-trigger challenges against any sign of irregularity."

The dem lawyers are probably behind it.  You need to make fixing this a priority, as every minute that goes by makes a claim of fraud by them more credible.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Could be something simple like dual registration.  Perhaps an old registration at a previous address was found.  I had that happen to me in 2000.  They called the other precinct to see if I voted and had them clear my name off of that list.

Either way, don't let this stop you.  It's there to prevent somebody from stealing your vote by voting twice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, for anyone else who may be affected by this, I found the following legal info behind it:

www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/17-10A-2.htm

Seriously.  I wonder if since I am registered to vote at a local church, but had to go downtown to cast an absentee, is what threw up the red flag.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quit wondering and call your election office!  We need your vote!  Don't mea to jump your shit, but seriously........
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, for anyone else who may be affected by this, I found the following legal info behind it:

www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/17-10A-2.htm

Seriously.  I wonder if since I am registered to vote at a local church, but had to go downtown to cast an absentee, is what threw up the red flag.

Whrere you voted has nothing to do with it. You voted absentee you couldahve sent it in by mail had you wanted too. The challange is for some ofhter reason. If it was simply because you voted absentee than they could if they wanted, challange every absentee ballot cast, because many are cast the way you did yours. People go to the court house or whatever. Get to the bottom of this, if need be, be late for class because honestly, making sure your vote counts is more important today than a class is. Don'tlet them pull this shit. I just found out that I have to go to a new polling place, the same one I used to go to(because of re-districting) I've been told to bring a utility bill with as well as my DL. But I've been told a cellphone bill wouldn't work, well it better cuz I don't pay the utility bills at the house. I'm bringing a student load bill, cellphone bill, bank statments. Pluse I have about 6 other forms of ID with my address on them and at least half have my pic too. They are not going to be able to fuck with me no sir. GW will get my vote today when I get out of work!!!

Fight this shit till it's settled out and your vote is counted.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
BTT.. I wanna hear the outcome of this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Well, I called and basically got the run-around.  First, the lady told me it would be impossible to see if my vote was counted, then after I badgered her, telling her that I had to be in the system as a go or no-go, she put me on hold to look for someone who could really help me.  But, apparently they forgot I was on hold, so I had to hang up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#17]
In Iowa, if you vote on a provisional ballot, and you do it at a polling place other than your designated precint, your vote will not count.

It must be cast in the correct precint.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#18]
A woman just called Rush L. and said her voter status was challenged.  She said she'd lived in Akron Ohio for years, she and her husband are registered Republicans.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In Iowa, if you vote on a provisional ballot, and you do it at a polling place other than your designated precint, your vote will not count.

It must be cast in the correct precint.

This wasn't a provisional ballot, but rather an absentte ballot that was later changed to a provisional when his right to vote was challenged.

Absentee ballots can be sent in from anywhere, it doesn't matter. You either mail it in, or you have to turn it in, ussually at the cleark of courts office or the officer of the election commissioner or the like.

Beatle fight teh shit out of this, don't let them do to what they claim the Republicans always try to do to minorities and old folks. Stick it to um man
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't know about Alabama, but it California, if you decide to present an absentee ballot in person on election day, it must be presented at your designated polling place.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't know about Alabama, but it California, if you decide to present an absentee ballot in person on election day, it must be presented at your designated polling place.

Again though he did this last week, not today. so this really doesn't matter. Beatle call yer local Repub election HQ and see if they can help you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't let this go...if this is an honest mistake, so be it, if not, there could be a whole lot more votes for Bush in the same spot as yours.  Here's the website to the Alabama Republican website:

www.algop.org

Here's a contact number....

205-978-2500
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Thanks for the advice, folks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top