Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 7:13:14 AM EDT
Where is the best place to ship from? UPS? USPS?

Does UPS package an item for you?
I'm shipping an AR in a "hard" (plastic) case so I don't have nor do I know where to pick up a long enough box to fit the case plus a soft case. This is my biggest concern.

If UPS doesn't package, then where's a good place to have somethign packaged or where to get a good sized box? I was thinking a muscial instrument store that sells guitars might have a long, sturdy box that would fit a rifle case but I'm not sure.

What should be asked for when paying up? Insurance. tracking, delivery confirmation? Anything not as commonly known about that shoudl be used when shipping firearms?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used usps priority insured with good results... usually use boxes that other rifles came in, CMP garand boxes are the best. and I wouldn't bring a rifle into either usps or ups to have them box it...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wouldn't bring a rifle into either usps or ups to have them box it...

Why not? I'd insist I watch them do it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I always ship UPS, but as an FFL they don't give me the hassles they seem to give some of you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Ship the hard case separately.  Slap some tape and a label on it.

Ship the AR with upper and lower separated so that you have a short box that does not scream "LONG GUN--STEAL ME!".

It is machine parts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ship the hard case separately.  Slap some tape and a label on it.
Ship the AR with upper and lower separated so that you have a short box that does not scream "LONG GUN--STEAL ME!".

Can the case be shipped without being in some sort of cardboard packaging/box?

Not a bad idea.

As long as they pay up on the insurance if it gets stolen... I might even make out better on the deal.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]
10,000 posts, and you have never shipped a gun?

Anyway... unless you want to pay dearly to have someone create a box for the case to go into, do it yourself.  It's a pain in the arse the first few times, but it can be done with enough cardboard to cut and tape together.

If you take it to the "UPS Store", they will pack it up for a nominal fee.  However, they will require you to ship overnight.  Your best bet is to box it up yourself, and go to a UPS terminal.  You will be able to ship for less than $20 if you go this route.  OR you could have the "UPS Store" box it up, and then take it to the UPS terminal yourself.

I never cared for USPS for firearms.  I prefer to be able to track my shipments in progress, rather than simply being notified after delivery has been made.

FedEx is not a bad option if you take the boxed case directly to their terminal.

All depends on how much you want to spend.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Anyway... unless you want to pay dearly to have someone create a box for the case to go into, do it yourself.  It's a pain in the arse the first few times, but it can be done with enough cardboard to cut and tape together.

If you take it to the "UPS Store", they will pack it up for a nominal fee.  However, they will require you to ship overnight.  Your best bet is to box it up yourself, and go to a UPS terminal.  You will be able to ship for less than $20 if you go this route.  OR you could have the "UPS Store" box it up, and then take it to the UPS terminal yourself.

I never cared for USPS for firearms.  I prefer to be able to track my shipments in progress, rather than simply being notified after delivery has been made.

FedEx is not a bad option if you take the boxed case directly to their terminal.

All depends on how much you want to spend.

They will not ship a firearm from those locations. They require you to go to the main terminal in order to actually ship it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
They will not ship a firearm from those locations. They require you to go to the main terminal in order to actually ship it.

They must have changed their policy fairly recently.  I shipped a couple handguns to an FFL through them last year.  I didn't create a stink about the overnight, because it was a requirement anyway.  They wanted nearly $60 for the last long gun I attempted to send through them.  I was pizzed when they told me I had to send it overnight, so I walked out and took it to the UPS terminal for $14.  The downside is being aware that the terminal is only open during specific hours of the day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They must have changed their policy fairly recently.  I shipped a couple handguns to an FFL through them last year.  I didn't create a stink about the overnight, because it was a requirement anyway.  They wanted nearly $60 for the last long gun I attempted to send through them.  I was pizzed when they told me I had to send it overnight, so I walked out and took it to the UPS terminal for $14.  The downside is being aware that the terminal is only open during specific hours of the day.

No, this hasn't changed recently. What you had happen is that you found a manager and/or employee that did not know their policy. Imagine that.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't bring a rifle into either usps or ups to have them box it...

Why not? I'd insist I watch them do it.

because they'll freak out  and call the cops or refuse to ship it...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm not sure how the two are even remotely related to one another. I generally buy them from a store and sell/trade them locally. This is only the third gun I've "sold" and the first to ship to an FFL. I'm  not a gun dealer, if that clears anything up for you.

Sounds like I might end up just making a trip to the recycle center to find the right sized cardboard to fabricate a box.

How much does UPS charge ot "make a box"

Don't they have long boxes that would fit this stuff?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sounds like I might end up just making a trip to the recycle center to find the right sized cardboard to fabricate a box.

How much does UPS charge ot "make a box"

Don't they have long boxes that would fit this stuff?

Go down to one of those pack and ship places, theys sell the boxes there.

UPS will NOT "make a box" for you. You can forget that.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]
UPS should have a 12x12x 48 size box availible. I bought one of these then cut it down to make myself a custom box when I shipped away my M1 Carbine for service.

Edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I ship all the time. I ship long guns through UPS, usually costs under 20. Do it on line and set a future pick up date, that's the cheapest. I ship hand guns through the USPS Generally costing 10-15 dollars. Just an FYI,  It is illegal for a unauthorized person to ship handguns through the USPS. It may be worth having a dealer ship it for you and pay him 20 bucks as a transfer. It takes the worry away from you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It is illegal for a unauthorized person to ship handguns through the USPS.

Handguns, not rifles. correct? I'm no woried about handguns at this point.

So you can go online and do all of the shipping stuff there and they'll pick it up at your house? And it's cheaper? That's pretty flipping sweet.
How do they rate the shipping? Not by weight if you can do it from home I assume.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
UPS will NOT "make a box" for you. You can forget that.

I always break them down ans store them for just that reason. Right now its to the point where I've given up on storing more and have started setting the boxes out with the recycling...........
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#17]
UPS Firearm shipping policy:  

www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

"Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.  

You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services.  

Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services."  

GUNBROKER has a great SHIPPING PAGE page here:  www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.  

Firearms... that to me indicates ANY guns, not just handguns.
So what if you're sending a firearm out to be repaired or customized? You have to go through an FFL for that too?

Lisenced collectors? Is this why so many people get a C and R?

Ok... I'm getting more and more confused by the minute...

This seems a little less ambiguous than that shit from UPS:

Shipping Legalities
Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped only to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL). The recipient must be have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).
Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So you can go online and do all of the shipping stuff there and they'll pick it up at your house? And it's cheaper? That's pretty flipping sweet.
How do they rate the shipping? Not by weight if you can do it from home I assume.

They will NOT come to your house and pick it up.

Why don't you just go down there, call them or visit their web site and get the info. straight from the horse's mouth?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why don't you just go down there, call them or visit their web site and get the info. straight from the horse's mouth?

Because the horse's mouth is almost as easy to understand as tax law when it comes to shit like this. I'd rather have it broken down to Barney-level for me because if it's on a company website it's written in legalese and therefore Greek to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry pathfinder, I'm not 100% sure if anyone can ship long guns through UPS. I always thought you could, but I can't guarantee.
And yes I go on line, type in To and From, weight, size, and when I want a truck to pick it up at my door. Yes, it is cheaper. It generally cost 15-20 for one or two rifles. www.ups.com.
If I were you I'd call and ask. 1800-742-5877

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is illegal for a unauthorized person to ship handguns through the USPS.

Handguns, not rifles. correct? I'm no woried about handguns at this point.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Update: Shipped an AR today. They didn't have a small enough box at UPS so I bought a box of wrapping paper from the U Haul store. The box size was perfect for a broken down AR and the paper may good for wrapping up the rifle/parts. A little pricey at $8.00+ for the box but worth it. The next choice would have been something excessively large which would have bumped up the price of shipping, ;lus the need for filler material in the overly large box.

It went out UPS ground without a hitch. They were very easy to work with and didn't give me a hard time about anything. Very pleasant experience.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what if you're sending a firearm out to be repaired or customized? You have to go through an FFL for that too?

You missed the underlined part of the quote.

You also missed the second paragraph that concerned shipping handguns.

You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You missed the underlined part of the quote.

You also missed the second paragraph that concerned shipping handguns.

The UPS people there seemed to think that rifles could be shipped ground and handguns shipped ground only by an FFL, and that non-FFL's had to use next day. I wasn't going to argue... it's their screw up. Ground is cheaper and I'm not going to argue with them about that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#25]
UPS gave me a whole bunch of shit a few months ago when I got rid of my bolt gun's.  I told them they were firearms and they were being shipped to a FFL dealer and I wanted to ship them overnight and insure them.

They(UPS) siad NO! you are not a business and we cant ship them for you.  I told them they had done it before with no problem and the lady siad sorry policy?

In the end I used my friends UPS acct(FFL dealer) and have been using Fed Ex since after all those firearms wents out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top