Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/9/2005 2:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 2:08:55 PM EDT by warhound]
What are thes worth? Any history to them? What should I look for.

Sorry for being in the wrong forum, but need help fast.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:11:04 PM EDT
H&R made an M14? I was only aware of garands, if so, cool!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:16:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 2:19:16 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:18:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
H&R made an M14? I was only aware of garands, if so, cool!

M14 Type Rifles - by Different

"1,380,358 M14 rifles were made from 1958 to 1965 by four entities. These were the U. S. Army Springfield Armory, Winchester (Olin-Mathieson Chemical Corp.), Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. and Thompson-Ramo-Wooldridge (TRW). "

ok, cool. I start my offer at $250.00
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:20:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:22:14 PM EDT
The number of transferrable M-14s are damned few. Be sure it's not stolen government property or an illegal reweld (by MKS or others) that will get you into legal trouble.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 2:30:14 PM EDT by warhound]
better ? below
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:29:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DnPRK:
The number of transferrable M-14s are damned few. Be sure it's not stolen government property or an illegal reweld (by MKS or others) that will get you into legal trouble.

How can I make sure this is a legit rifle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:30:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:32:26 PM EDT
Some were marked M14 but had the selector ground off and used as match rifles for military shooting teams. However, they were still considered NFA. Best to cut it as a parts kit and get a new receiver. If it was ever on the NFA registry, it is still considered a machinegun.

Alot of PD have these rifles and never had them registered. Might be best to cut it than risk the alternative.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:37:18 PM EDT
There was a small handfull of semi-auto M14's made under Govt. contract by TRW. Some ended up in Civilian hands after the GCA of 68. They became the subject of a court battle. ATF argued the once a machinegun always a machinegun rule. While they were forged as full auto receivers, they were finish machined as semi auto receivers. The ATF lost and the value of these few rifles is very high. As high as the few genuine Class III USGI M14's in civilian hands.

If your H&R isn't a Class III rifle (select fire), it may be a cut and weld. Some legal cut and weld M14's do exist. Make sure it isn't an MKS that slipped through the cracks. If it is, it's subject to confiscation by the ATF. Inspect the receiver for evidence of welding. Check below the wood line for re-manufacturers markings.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:38:45 PM EDT
Is it a private individual or dealer that has it.
I saw a transferable Winchester M14 at Knob Creek sell for $9500 about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:39:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warhound:
What are thes worth? Any history to them? What should I look for.

Sorry for being in the wrong forum, but need help fast.

Check to make sure it isn't a reweld. I've seen some that look pretty good (read that "hard to detect" meaning ground smooth and then refinished). They are likely illegal, as in federal felony, as well as the strength and safety issues. A REAL M-14 which won't get you into trouble will have class 3 paperwork with it.

I've been in the same position you are: saw something, asked quick, got the bad news, didn't get the rifle, am still not in jail.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:48:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
There was a small handfull of semi-auto M14's made under Govt. contract by TRW. Some ended up in Civilian hands after the GCA of 68. They became the subject of a court battle. ATF argued the once a machinegun always a machinegun rule. While they were forged as full auto receivers, they were finish machined as semi auto receivers. The ATF lost and the value of these few rifles is very high. As high as the few genuine Class III USGI M14's in civilian hands.

If your H&R isn't a Class III rifle (select fire), it may be a cut and weld. Some legal cut and weld M14's do exist. Make sure it isn't an MKS that slipped through the cracks. If it is, it's subject to confiscation by the ATF. Inspect the receiver for evidence of welding. Check below the wood line for re-manufacturers markings.

Any Idea on the serial numbers of the Genuine Semi M14?
I have not bought this rifle, I know of one that may be for sale. I do not now much about it other than it was purchased a long time ago. It could be one of the semi's you speak of. I was hoping that it was a transferable that he did not now of the current market value of. His asking price was $4500, I have not spoken to him about the details yet. I only no that it has H&R stamped on the reciver and his asking price. It is one of those my friends uncle has this rifle for sale. I will try and get more info asap.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT
BTT. I need as much info on this as possable. If this turns out to be a Transferable, I would be one happy camper.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 3:36:16 PM EDT by drfcolt]
You might want to cross post this over in the "M16 - Full Auto" side.

I think that there are a couple of H&R GI NFA-registered M14's over there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 4:44:11 PM EDT by IRONWILL]
Buyer beware ,I had a mks wra m14 had it for over 5 years .The weld on these rifles could not be seen.I did not understand that it was a reweld when I purchased it.Back then I knew very little about m14s. These are now not legal to own.I had to cut my receiver up.Ask the guys at warrifles maybe they can help ya. I hope she is real but it could be a mks reweld ,dont throw 4500.00 away
.DONT LET THE KELLYS GET ANOTHER PERSON

PS SEE THE PIC ABOVE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE RECEIVER IS THE FULL AUTO SELECTOR SWITCH IF YOU SEE THAT IT WOULD BE BAD. we are not talking about sparrowhawks fake sectors either.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:12:23 PM EDT
I've expanded the write up a little since December, 2002. Here's a more recent version at www.imageseek.com/m1a

Without knowing more, this H&R semi-auto M14 sounds like a Hahn Machine welded receiver or a MKS welded receiver. If you can, check the under side of the receiver. If you see Hahn marked on the bottom then there's an ATF letter that makes what Hahn did legal. If Hahn isn't marked on the receiver and there's no NFA Form to go with the rifle, run away.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:22:12 PM EDT
Wow, thanks for the help. I will ask him once I talk to him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:22:56 PM EDT
I thought the court case with MKS decided that the MKS reciever was OK?? Whats the latest, as i havent been around to keep up (obviosly).
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:30:07 PM EDT

Ok, what is the difference between H&R Arms Co and H&R Gun Co?

Bigfeet
Top Top