Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 10:07:41 PM EDT
Here's the situation..

I'd like to lose about 30 pounds, preferably over the next 3-4 months.

I've altered my diet to healthier foods (and yes, this is something I can stick with)

The problem is, I'm an asthmatic, and cannot do anything that strenuous.  Which means no running, no jogging, etc.

I walk 6-10 miles every day to and from classes, and thats helping some, but not a lot.

So....Ideas anyone?

FOTBR
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The trouble with dieting is that sometimes the metabolism slows down and you won't burn as many calories. Try weight lifting to increase human growth hormone and testosterone levels. That will increase muscle mass which will cause you to burn more calories than when you didn't have the new muscle. While you are gaining muscle and losing some fat, your total weight may actually show a gain. The key to weight and health is to measure your percentage of body fat. Chart your lean muscle mass, body fat, etc over time to see how you are improving. Some body builders don't do a lot of aerobics.

Diet: check out the Zone diet 5 daily meals without a lot of exercise, 7 daily meals with a heavy exercise program. The formula is really easy. Don't buy the book--too scientific and technical--who cares. Check out the website www.zoneperfect.com where they have a one week trial diet. The formula is simple, at each meal you ensure that 40% of the calories come from carbs, 30% from protein(builds fat buring muscle), and 30% from fat (slows the uptake of carbs-->insulin-->fat). Good luck. Remember, not your total weight, but your body fat percentage.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a mountain bike!

Lose pounds, exercise and have fun all at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunetly, biking is out too. -- Not enough air supply to make the muscles work.

I think biking is 2nd only to running as far as the quickest ways to give me an asthma attack.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
make www.fitday.com your new best friend.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
if you wanna work on your upper stomach i found that laying on the floor with a dumbbell in each hand lifting it over your head parrel with your chest works pretty good for the solar plexus,, start with bout 10 lbs wieghts do bout 4 or 5 sets of 20 with em gives it one great work out anout having the wieghts parrel to your side and doing not really crunches but not situps taking your back to about a 45 degree angle to the floor works the mid to lower stomach pretty good too
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Recommend a look into taking a Hopkido or Aikido course.  It's not as aerobic as most martial arts but does give you a decent workout.

Even if you just watch and pick up the stretching exercises, it would help.

Tj

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top