Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:07:53 AM EDT
I'm tired of dial-up.  I can only get connection speeds of around 26.4K and I have a 56K modem.  Time for broadband.  Verizon DSL is not available in my area so that's out.  Can anybody recommend a good broadband provider that doesn't cost very much?  MJD
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask around and see if there is a local ISP that has wireless service in your area.

Either that, or you can look into DirectWay or Starband, but it is expensive, and the latency sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on your exact address.  Go to Earthlink and go with thier DSL service.  Very likely it will be where you are.

www.earthlink.net

The backbone is rock solid and not run through the big phone companies.

good luck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Depending on your exact address.  Go to Earthlink and go with thier DSL service.  Very likely it will be where you are.

www.earthlink.net

good luck.

hows that
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.earthlink.net

good luck.

hows that

I'd like to know that too.  

Comcast is out, no service in my area.  Same with Earthlink.  Adelphia is available and so is Cox, but Adelphia costs a ton and Cox has a "reputation" in my area.  Basically, they suck.  Anything else out there?  MJD
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Use DSL Reports and poke around for a provider.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#7]
If satellite one-way or two-way is in your future, I'd definitely check out Copperhead (AKA DirecWay Uncensored).  We almost ended-up with DirecWay (2-way) at our place in the sticks, but Frontier Communications got their butt in gear and brought wired DSL into the area. Good thing, because later we found out that the VPN my wife uses isn't worth squat over Satellite because of the afore-mentioned latency.  They might have fixed this, but that was the story a couple of years ago WRT VPN and DirecWay.

WRT to the DirecWay hardware, you might be able to find it on the cheap on Ebay as DSL becomes more and more widespread and people are throwing their Sat. gear away. That was the case when Frontier brought "copper" DSL in here...there were DW dishes just lying around in people's yards waiting to be hauled away...literally.

I did get a chance to use the DW of a couple of years ago and it was a nice surfing tool; though expensive.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
If time warner is in your area, you can always choose roadrunner lite. It's cheaper than regular roadrunner while still faster than DSL. I personally don't know the exact connection speed, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top