Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 3:15:04 PM EDT
After playing phone tag with the idiots at my local Sears store for the last 35 mins. I was told I would have to order through their call from home customer parts service,(hell they couldn't even order the damn thing for me).

So instead of risking having to deal with another usless phone menu or trying in vain to speak to a human voice, I found the battery on their web site.  $49.00 + $8.00 shipping for one 14.4v battery, hell thats more than half what I paid for the complete drill, batteries, charger, and carrying case!!

Plus I have to wait for it to get here!

Can anyone tell me if Lowes, or maybe Home-depot (or anyone else for that matter)  carry replacement batteries for Crafsmen tools??  Please save me from having to talk to more usless idiots....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The least expensive way to get a fresh battery is to send it out, and have it rebuilt with new cells.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
With the drills costing so little, you're not likely to find a battery seperately for less than the whole kit cost new.  I'd say to scrap the idea and buy a new drill.  

My father and I both recently bought Coleman 18v drills at Pep Boys for $30 each, that included case, battery, charger, and some bits... that may be the best way to go.  They're full of torque, have two gear ranges, and are pretty comfy to hold and use.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
After playing phone tag with the idiots at my local Sears store for the last 35 mins. I was told I would have to order through their call from home customer parts service,(hell they couldn't even order the damn thing for me).

So instead of risking having to deal with another usless phone menu or trying in vain to speak to a human voice, I found the battery on their web site.  $49.00 + $8.00 shipping for one 14.4v battery, hell thats more than half what I paid for the complete drill, batteries, charger, and carrying case!!

Plus I have to wait for it to get here!

Can anyone tell me if Lowes, or maybe Home-depot (or anyone else for that matter)  carry replacement batteries for Crafsmen tools??  Please save me from having to talk to more usless idiots....

Who provides this service?? I need details man!!...

Yeah, Camera man I may end up replacing the whole damn thing....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
With the drills costing so little, you're not likely to find a battery seperately for less than the whole kit cost new.  I'd say to scrap the idea and buy a new drill.  

My father and I both recently bought Coleman 18v drills at Pep Boys for $30 each, that included case, battery, charger, and some bits... that may be the best way to go.  They're full of torque, have two gear ranges, and are pretty comfy to hold and use.

Ditto...skip trying to locate a battery...it will cost you more than a new drill. I would prefer to buy something that was professional quality such as Milwaukee or Bosch, with two batteries, but they are gonna cost you a lot if you use only infrequently. Definitely, however, go with at least a Ryoibi...you can get batteries later if you need 'em.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, now you have to decide. Do you want a cheap battery or do you want your pride?

Auction

CW
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Just went through the same problem.

Saw an add in the paper for Harbor Freight store which has a local outlet.  I went there and found a 14.4 Drill with battery for $16, and extra batteries were $6.

It runs just fine.  I sunk a 4 inch screw into wood to below the surface!

Sure, it may not last as long as a quality drill.  But for $16, I'll just buy a new one.

How you gonna beat it?

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Home Depot has a sale on 14.4 Ryobi drill, saw and light for 99.00. They were flying out the door.

I got it for my wife so she can stay away form my 5 yr old Makita that still runs great!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ditto...skip trying to locate a battery...it will cost you more than a new drill. I would prefer to buy something that was professional quality such as Milwaukee or Bosch, with two batteries, but they are gonna cost you a lot if you use only infrequently. Definitely, however, go with at least a Ryoibi...you can get batteries later if you need 'em.

Don't listen to this crap. I use power tools all day every day at work. The only drills that don't take a premature shit are the Dewalts and Craftsman.

Yeah: it sucks. But pay the $50-ish for your new battery and be done with it.

Cheer up: my Dewalt cordless tools are all 18 volt. Last time I checked, Lowes had replacement batteries for $79.99 each.

It could be worse.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies guys, you have given me alot to think about....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's any consolation, my 18v Craftsman did the same thing to me. It started throwing a "soft charge" failure light combination on one of my batteries and then the second battery followed a few weeks later. I plugged both of the batteries (one at a time) into a hand-help spotlight that came with the drill when I bought it from Sears. I ran the batteries ALL THE WAY DOWN and then plugged them back into the charger and they both threw the "soft charge" failure lights AGAIN.

Now, following the directions in the Sears manual, I left them on "soft charge" for 15 minutes, then removed them and let them stand for 5 minutes before sticking them back on the charger all night long. In the morning, the batteries were showing "green" and fully charged. What did it do to them? Nickel Cadmium batteries develop deposits between the cells resulting in "battery memory" and the battery will not fully charge (kind of like stomach stapling, they feel full already) because the charger senses the resistance from the battery and shuts itself off. TOTALLY discharging them drains the "memory" and then allows them to fully accept a charge.

Hope that helps, I was mad as hell too with the thought of pitching a $100 drill because it needed 2 batteries at $75 each
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
This has always bugged me about sears.You would think with the catalog/mail order thing it would lend itself to easy replacement parts but they have always been horrible.Once worked for a guy who dropped a high end sears radial arm saw out the back of a pickup going down a drive,(driveing stupid)about five or six parts broke and after playing tag with the order department of two or three different sears for two years we finally took it to the dump.It was a nice smooth,powerfull saw but sears sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top