Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2007 9:13:31 AM EDT
Mods - if I posted this in the wrong area, please move to a more appropriate venue.

I have a client who once had an FFL.  At some time, he acquired in excess of 180 lower receivers.  Roughly 1/4 Bushmaster - 3/4 Pac West Arms.   Also roughly 150, new 30 round, aluminum AR-15 mags.

He has a terminal illness, and has had it for several years.  He is now probably within the last months of his life.  I'm pretty sure the FFL has lapsed.

And before anyone asks, NO, YOU CANNOT BUY ANY OF THEM.  I am not authorized to offer them for sale, and I cannot act as a go-between.

My questions are these:

A)  How much are these worth?
B)  Physical possession has been transferred to one of the people who has Power of Attorney.  Can the POA take physical possession, or does it need to go through an FFL?
C)  Is the possession transfer a BATFE issue?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If the PWA receivers are A1 style rather than A2, they could well sell for a premium *IF* they were sold to the correct market (retro AR builders).

How old are the magazines?  If they are pre-94 (and preferably dated) once again they could bring a little more for sale to states which still have AW/Mag bans.  Otherwise they are just worth the current commodity price of magazines, less if they have black (old style) followers.  If they are not GI type mags they are not going to be worth much.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Estate tax is not an issue here.  There is not enough of an estate to worry about taxes.  So I need real values.  

I don't know if they're A1 or A2.  What's the difference?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
It kinda depends on if they were preban or not.  Made before 1994. They could be sold to people in states that still have that law statewise rather than the national one. However, if you want to play it safe...

Lowers routinely sell from between 100 to 125 generally. Do the math. I imagine dealers buy them for probably like 75 each in my opinion. bushmater would probably bring more than the other ones but for simplicity, just average them out.

What brand are the 30 rounders and when made if known?

Colt 30's new can bring 20 bucks or more.

30 round Okays and stuff like that can be had online and at gun shows for between $10 and $15 brand new.

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't know if they're A1 or A2.  What's the difference?

A good clear photo would be best.  The obvious places to compare the two are the front pivot pin lugs and reinforcement (or lack thereof) around the buffer tube at the back.  I can probably take a photo for comparison tonight if no one comes up with one before then.

Both of my suggestions for potential increased value depend on selling them to buyers who would appreciate the particular quality of that item.  For example, if they are A1 lowers and you sell them gradually on the Equipment Exchange here, you'll be able to get more for them than if you just sell the lot to a dealer or wholesaler.

ETA:  found some photos in other threads...
A1 lower (ignore the happy pin )

Comparison points:

As you can see, some guys are remachining current style lowers to try to replicate A1s, so there would be no problem in finding buyers for the PWAs if they are the early A1 style.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
To answer some of the other questions...

B) Physical possession has been transferred to one of the people who has Power of Attorney. Can the POA take physical possession, or does it need to go through an FFL?
C) Is the possession transfer a BATFE issue?

To answer this correctly, we need to know the State where this is occuring, and for certain whether the FFL is still valid.

For the lowers, in almost all states, there is no problem with the PoA taking possession of personally owned firearms.  A lower receiver is the serial numbered part so is controlled just like a complete firearm.  There is no need for an FFL or any government entity involvement, UNLESS, his FFL is still valid.  If they are still on the books of an active FFL they would need to be transferred out from the FFL as with any other sale, and until then should remain at the licensed premeses.

The only problem with the magazines might be if you're in a ban state, otherwise they are uncontrolled.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]
State - Oregon

How long is an FFL good for?

magazine ban not an issue.

And he's not dead yet, so probate and estate issues are not a concern.  Yet.  

The intent is to determine a value to possibly sell them, perhaps via another FFL, to get the cash to help pay medical expenses.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen pre-ban PWA lowers for like $500-600 in a ban state like MA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top