Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 1:33:58 PM EDT
I'd like to make some homemade onion rings to go with some fresh venison steaks. I've made them before with mixed results. What is your favorite recipe ? Please list ingredients, type of oil, temperatures, etc. Thanks !

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
3 eggs
2 cups flour
Salt
Pepper
Bread crumbs (you can also substitute crumbled up potato chips)
LARD
Grandpappy Deep Fat Fryer

The secret is battering it right and LARD.  

Scramble your eggs up.

Combine the rest of the dry ingredients.  

1.  Eggwash.
2.  Flour dip
3.  Eggwash
4.  Flour dip
5.  Eggwash
6.  Flour dip
7.  Drop into fryer.

You can also do a blooming onion the same way.  Just cut off the tops and bottoms of the onion and slice the onion (not all the way thru) into slivers so it all stays together.  Soak the onions in cold water and they will open up some.  Then just batter and fry.

Same way for Granny's Southern Fried Chicken and Chicken Fried Steak......

For Chicken Fried Steak, get hamburger meat, make large patties and proceed with battering.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I felt my arteries harden after reading that recipe...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Vidalia Onions (Sweet onion)

Box of Tempura batter from the chinese food section at the store.
Mix it per the directions on the box.

Peanut oil @ 325 degrees (Usually)

Slice nice thick onion slices.

Dry onion slices with a paper towel.

Dredge theu tempura batter.

Drop into hot oil until brown.

EAT-EM!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info !
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]
What about "beer batter" I heard that is supposed to be the best.. I am not sure but I sure like steak and shake's onion rings
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about "beer batter" I heard that is supposed to be the best.. I am not sure but I sure like steak and shake's onion rings
View Quote

Beer batter is a wet batter.

1/2 bottle of beer (other half for yourself) and 1 cup of flour, salt and pepper.  Dredge in batter, drop in hot lard for a few seconds and re-dip in batter then fry golden brown.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Slice up your onions (I like yellow and Vidalias) and put them in a big salad bowl with ice water.  This keeps them crisp.

In one bowl, flour, salt, pepper, a little red pepper. I like to add a little curry powder, too.

In another bowl, a coupla three eggs, and a bloop of milk, mix it up.

Get you frier going, set to 375*F.  Check with a thermometer.

Now pay attention to this little detail... if you drip the onions into the egg mix, a lot runs off because onions have an oily coating...like water on waxed paper.  Dip the onions first into the flour, THEN into the egg mix, and back into the seasoned flour.  Now drop them into the frier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top