Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/4/2002 10:28:13 AM EST
The issue here is one of dealing with her physical attributes. Handguns aren't an issue, but when it comes to rifles I'm not sure how to go about this. She is quite "stacked" (her own description), in the Jessica Rabit sense of the word. 5'10" tall, ~ 170 lbs and a "J" cup bra (they're real; she's a corporate exec, not a stripper [;)]). This isn't a joke; I see what she does in day-to-day life to work around her chest, and I want to make sure that when we finally hit the range to start working with rifles, that I'm not making her uncomfortable. I know enough to suggest no shirts that display any cleavage, and I'll work with her on handling rifles at home before we go to live fire exercises, but I don't want to make her self-concious. I know that when I analyze how I handle rifles and shotguns that what works for me won't work for her. TIA -
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 10:49:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/4/2002 10:49:54 AM EST by ARLady]
unless she's got them supported ultra-high, i don't think there's going to be a whole lot of problem, just maybe some awkwardness at first. she won't be able to should a rifle with a lot of speed (without a lot of practice) since she will have to learn how to "clear" the obstacles so to speak. but since the proper fitting of the rifle stock against the shoulder is above and to the side of the breasts, it shouldn't really be a problem. it'll just take practice. my question is why she's never had a reduction. comfort aside, there are some risks involved there. good luck. let us know how she likes shooting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:02:56 AM EST
ARLady asked: my question is why she's never had a reduction. comfort aside, there are some risks involved there.
View Quote
She says she's never had any problems dealing with them, and never had any physical issues other than their size. There are also some benefits that they have that she isn't willing to risk losing [;)] by having surgery, given how the surgery is performed, not to mention the issue of surgery itself. Thanks for the response; she's important in my life and I want her to be comfortable with a hobby that takes up a lot of my time and interest. She's never shot before (though she grew up in a family that hunted) and she's makig the effort because of her commitment to our relationship (which is only a couple of months old). I understand that once the rifle is mounted correctly, she shouldn't have an issue; it's strictly a handling question. Perhaps I'll spend a lot more time working on general handling issues than I would normally do. Let her work out the issues that her proportions bring before we get to the range.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 11:19:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By DavidC: Let her work out the issues that her proportions bring before we get to the range.
View Quote
good idea. most ranges make you fire from the bench so she should have no problems. off hand may need a modification of technique but then a "perfect" technique must be modified to a given situation. so teach her several ways of shooting a weapon and let her make the choice of what works for her.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:37:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By DavidC: Let her work out the issues that her proportions bring before we get to the range.
View Quote
i think that's the best advice! didn't mean to sound mean or harsh about the reduction surgery thing. i just can't imagine having to deal with such things. course, i'm more on the opposite end of the scale. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:43:11 AM EST
ARLady - If this works out as well as it seems to be going, you can talk to her about it in person at the BRC next year [:)] Now she's told me that two of her friends (one a card-carrying ANTI) would like to come to the range with us. I'm thinking about having a class with the three of them the weekend before we head out to the range.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:13:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By DavidC: ARLady - If this works out as well as it seems to be going, you can talk to her about it in person at the BRC next year [:)]
View Quote
excellent! looking forward to it!
Now she's told me that two of her friends (one a card-carrying ANTI) would like to come to the range with us. I'm thinking about having a class with the three of them the weekend before we head out to the range.
View Quote
ha, the power of women in groups! [:D] one positive range experience can turn around an entire circle of friends. let us know how it goes.
Top Top