Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/8/2005 7:00:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 8:10:21 AM EDT by Greywolf2112]
I've moved many times, always got a Uhaul/Ryder truck, done it myself.

Now, the company I just got hired by is reimbursing me up to $2000 for moving expenses.

So, I got to thinking - should I still do the Do-it-yourself move, which with gas, rental, meals, etc. will come to about $1000 - or should I give some moving company a shot?

I've never had someone else do the deed.

Any advice on who I should use? Will $2000 do the trick? Any special dos and dont's regarding using a mover?

We don't have much stuff to move:

2 dressers, 1 queen bed, two desks, two TVs, a washer and dryer, a coffee table, and a futon sofa, and a bunch of boxes of books and kitchen gear. Honestly, it could probably all fit in a 14' Uhaul.

However, I must admit, that using someone to do all the lifting, putting stuff in a truck, doing all the driving, and then moving it all back in to the new house sure would be nice. Plus I'd then be able to fly back up to link up with the wife, rent a van or SUV for the pets, and we could do a normal drive down with the pets distributed between our two vehicles.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:01:44 AM EDT
long distance move?

Have someone else do it.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:02:19 AM EDT
Man up and do it yourself.
It sucks, but your a big boy, you can do it.

...and when it's all said and done, you have $1K in your pocket to play with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:02:36 AM EDT
If you really do not need the cash you could save, then hell yes, let the movers get your stuff. Get a quote from a few.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:04:09 AM EDT
Hire the movers...but take anything REALLY valuable with you, eg your computer, any cameras, etc...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:06:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:

A few qualifying points:

1 - I am not going to be there unless I can hop a quick plane, come back, load everything up, turn around and drive 11-12 hours through 4 states, and then unload everything and be back at work in 2 days time total.

2 - They aren't giving me $2000 - they are reimbursing me for up to $2000, but I have to have receipts for everything. No chance of a "windfall" here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:07:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Hire the movers...but take anything REALLY valuable with you, eg your computer, any cameras, etc...

Good points. My plan was to fly up from Tampa (one-way ticket), rent an SUV or minivan, and then the wife and I would each take some of the pets, all my guns, and the computers between our vehicles. Have the movers take the rest.

Oh, and this way I wouldn't be begging you to help me unpack when I got to Lakeland
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:07:44 AM EDT
+1 one on hiring movers.

+100 on taking the stuff (yourself) that you don't want anyone else finger F*#%ing
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:09:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:

A few qualifying points:

1 - I am not going to be there unless I can hop a quick plane, come back, load everything up, turn around and drive 11-12 hours through 4 states, and then unload everything and be back at work in 2 days time total.

2 - They aren't giving me $2000 - they are reimbursing me for up to $2000, but I have to have receipts for everything. No chance of a "windfall" here.

Well then WTF

What is the question for?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:09:14 AM EDT
Check with some moving companies to see how much it will cost you. I don't think that $2000 will cover it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:11:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:
Check with some moving companies to see how much it will cost you. I don't think that $2000 will cover it.

hell no it won't. Unless he really doesn't have much stuff at all.

I have heard horror stories about quoting one thing, arriving at the destination and charging something else. So even if they quote you one thing, it could turn out differently when it comes time for them to unload your $hit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:14:04 AM EDT
Mving companies break shit and you have hell getting them to pay for it, even if you buy the "extra" insurance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:17:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:
Mving companies break shit and you have hell getting them to pay for it, even if you buy the "extra" insurance.

Sounds like what I've heard as well.

Has anyone had any GOOD experiences with particular moving companies?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:19:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Good points. My plan was to fly up from Tampa (one-way ticket), rent an SUV or minivan, and then the wife and I would each take some of the pets, all my guns, and the computers between our vehicles. Have the movers take the rest.

Oh, and this way I wouldn't be begging you to help me unpack when I got to Lakeland

Well damn, maybe I should chip in to pay for the movers then...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:21:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

Sounds like what I've heard as well.

Has anyone had any GOOD experiences with particular moving companies?

I never have myself or anyone that I know either. They suck. Bunch of kids is all they hire.
It took 9 guys 21 hrs and two trucks to move me. Result was over 20k in damages. They had some dumbass come out and fix what he could and then undervalued the rest. I ended up with $250 settlement from them. They happen to be self insured, something I neglected to ask. They do everything they can to not pay you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:27:45 AM EDT

My plan was to fly up from Tampa (one-way ticket), rent an SUV or minivan, and then the wife and I would each take some of the pets, all my guns, and the computers between our vehicles. Have the movers take the rest.

Better check into what this will cost as far as a one way car rental and drop off at another location other than where you rented it. As I recall, most car rental companies will hammer you on this. Double check first, I may stand corrected.
Top Top