Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 6:48:57 PM EDT
OK, I admit I know very little about Surefires or lights in general.  I just bought a 1st Gen NV scope, and discovered that I can increase my range effectively by adding a good light with IR filter.

Here is what I bought - www.atncorp.com/NightVision/NightVisionWeaponSights/ATNAriesMK258

So, do I need a Surefire with IR filter?  Would my Scorpion with an IR filter work just as good?

If I need a Surefire, what model would you recommend?  I would be using an AR in 9mm or .45 that has Pic rails on the front gas block as well as FIRSH rails for FF handguards.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
A G2 or a 6P (lower cost and round body) and a FM33 IR filter head.
What's the OD of the bezel on your Scorpion light?

How does the MK258 perform?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't gotten the NV yet - coming soon.

OD on Scorpion is 1 1/8"  

I have a Samco mount for my Scorpion - it attaches to the front gas block Pic rail, and you slide the Scorpion into it.

Could I use that for the IR filter, or would getting a Surefire set up the same way work?  I like the Samco setup, and if it would work with a Surefire that would be cool.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
IR lights w/ FILTERS suck IMO,  get a surefire M1 IR illuminator or one of the Rooshian IR illums.

YMMV

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The G2 will work with that mount, I just tried it.  You might have to remove the cross bolt, slide the light in and reassembled it if you initially have it too tight.
the 6P should work also.

The Sure Fire IR filters are for 1", 1.25" and 1.62" bezels.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was interested in JUST the IR illumination, would this work to give me what I want?

www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/401/sesent/00
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:04:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IR lights w/ FILTERS suck IMO,  get a surefire M1 IR illuminator or one of the Rooshian IR illums.

YMMV

So, you think just getting the IR Illuminator would serve me better?  I figure that for $100 I can get that, vs. spending over $200 for a decent Surefire plus filter.

My main use for this system will be on an AR in 9mm or 45, suppressed.  I want to be able to see well with NV up to 100 yards in a mostly city environment.  I don't envision needing an actual bright light.

Opinions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top