Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2011 5:53:54 AM EDT
Nothin too big, just want to trade some newer amer. silver eagles/canadian maples for some 90% silver quarters.

1. Say I have 20 coins/ounces. Do I just calculate the silver content in his and make an even trade?
2. Does either sell for more if I wanted to sell them to a store like apmex?
3. Does condition play any role? Unless it would matter when I sell them, I dont care. I am just looking at silver content.

Any other issues/thoughts anyone has on this is appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Your Eagles and Canadians are spot price ($28.05 recently) plus at least $2 to $2.50 a coin in large quantity.  The 90% silver is called junk silver. It's about $20-$21 per $1.00 face value. In other words a single silver dime is $2.00 plus. Add your bullion coins together plus $2.50 coinage on each and negotiate from there. Some prefer bullion coins some like junk silver for survival purposes because of the smaller denominations.

Your 20 Eagles and Maples are worth over $600.00. That's equivalent to about $30 face value of any combination of dimes, quarters, and half dollars.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Your Eagles and Canadians are spot price ($28.05 recently) plus at least $2 to $2.50 a coin in large quantity.  The 90% silver is called junk silver. It's about $20-$21 per $1.00 face value. In other words a single silver dime is $2.00 plus. Add your bullion coins together plus $2.50 coinage on each and negotiate from there. Some prefer bullion coins some like junk silver for survival purposes because of the smaller denominations.

Your 20 Eagles and Maples are worth over $600.00. That's equivalent to about $30 face value of any combination of dimes, quarters, and half dollars.

So if I traded him 20 eagles at spot price plus $2.00 a coin, an even trade would be about $30 face value of his 90% silver coins? How can I figure out how many ounces would be in $30 worth of quarters? im not sure what they weigh.

And thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I traded him 20 eagles at spot price plus $2.00 a coin, an even trade would be about $30 face value of his 90% silver coins? How can I figure out how many ounces would be in $30 worth of quarters? im not sure what they weigh.

And thanks for the reply

If you just want to know the melt values of U.S. silver coins, you can go here.
They also have a calculator where you can enter a silver price and see what the melt values would be.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the above is good. Coininflation is your friend when you need to find out how much silver is in junk coins. Some junk coins have more value to them because of dates and or mint marks. Condition does play alot into their value. But for me, junk silver is junk silver. I know most of the guys I deal with have sorted the coins, and have been sure to have pulled any key dates long before I get to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top