Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2001 2:10:17 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying an STG58 from wholesale guns & ammo, from an ad in the shotgun news.  They are Austrian kits built on Imbel recievers.  Price is $498 with 2 mags.
First, does anyone have experience with this company?  If not, what distributor would you recommend?

Second, I know that DSA seems to be the top-end of the FAL world, but I can't drop $900+ on a battle rifle right now, which is why I'm looking at these less expensive units.  Anyone have any experience with a non-DSA FAL that was purchased inexpensively?

Thanks for any help you's can give

-RyanG
[flag]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if I were you I would spend the extra $300.00+ and get a DSA Stg58 for 795 + 15 shipping + dealer transfer fee. Those less expensive Stg58s are a hit or miss situation. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t. By the way I am not rich but spending the extra amount is the smart thing to do, which is why I am getting the DSA. I have bought too many things because of low price and later wished I hadn’t. Sometimes it is better to wait until you have the money to get what you really want then to get something just because it is cheaper So anyway good luck with what ever you decide to purchase.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I forgot, but you can pay DSA directly that way you pay dealer cost and not retail. That is why I said you could get it for $795.00 + Shipping. The dealer who is doing the transfer for you just has to let DSA know it is ok for them to except payment directly from the you the customer. Just call DSA and ask how to go about doing it.  Get the DSa and you will not regret it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The Austrian kit on Imbel receiver guns were built at Century Arms using "very retired" kits and then repainted.

They are horrible nightmarish pices of crap. If you cannot afford to buy a "good" FAL, or any other model firearm for that matter, don't buy one at all.

The DSA Stg58, which retails for $995.00 is the best FAL for the money. The only better one is the SA58 also from DSA.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the L1A1 on an IMBEL receiver from Wholesale G-n-A.  I haven't had any problems with it.  Fit and finish is good.  The bore looks like new.  I am very happy with it.  I paid $429.99 plus shipping, plus xfer fee.  

OSA
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Points all considered, I think I'll just buy another bushmaster. Jeeze
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest you do some research at the FAL files. www.fnfal.com
The CAI guns can be good, fair, or downright poor. You might want to research the archives. There are a lot of folks who like the CAI guns. Most of the folks who curse them, don't own one.
BTW, I don't own one, I have a SAR48. But in fairness, there are a lot of folks who are quit satisfied with the CAI rifle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
My Dad has 2 Century FAL's on Imbel receivers, never a problem with either one.  No they are'nt as pretty as the DSA guns, but they work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KwBMGtoNIRidQwmWD!oqYg7H8yERrqk1ASQTH1Jx07hiNmLl6Vy*H2PJo2V6qVyQeQ*ce0*pQyE/DCP_0004.jpg[/img]
SA58
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KwBiGdkN*xedQwmWD!oqYvzIGrsEWqvUYUymrCGL4lEHYSs!3IOcI92Ip1GaGl!h*DQwHOgl!pI/DCP_0003.jpg[/img]
Centurion with Hesse reciever.

My centurion works great.Needs a trigger job though.Never a malfuntion.I bought mine not to long after they came out.It has a new Steyr barrel on it.But I imagine they started using the more worn kits as time went on.Finnish is not as good as the DSA but its not bad.[pakerized]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
One more point--

Derek at AZexarms was (is?) offering a Century work over for about $225-250, where he fixes what is wrong with it, and refinishes it (I believe).  Check with him to be sure.

The Centuries are definitely crap-shoots, but with an IMBEL receiver, you have a good base.  I do agree to an extent with SteyrAUG, but I do have a fondness for Century stuff--my first autoloader was an L1A1 sporter.  Century has given lots of people the opportunity to buy an autoloading rifle for a reasonable price.  They are generally the bottom level of the rifle world in any given group, but it is still a start for lots of us.  

One big benefit to the FAL is the cheap mags--cheaper than AR mags now.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One more point--

Derek at AZexarms was (is?) offering a Century work over for about $225-250, where he fixes what is wrong with it, and refinishes it (I believe).  Check with him to be sure.

The Centuries are definitely crap-shoots, but with an IMBEL receiver, you have a good base.  I do agree to an extent with SteyrAUG, but I do have a fondness for Century stuff--my first autoloader was an L1A1 sporter.  Century has given lots of people the opportunity to buy an autoloading rifle for a reasonable price.  They are generally the bottom level of the rifle world in any given group, but it is still a start for lots of us.  

One big benefit to the FAL is the cheap mags--cheaper than AR mags now.

AFARR
View Quote

Does AZexarms have a web site you know of?
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I just purchased a STG58 carbine from DSA for $845 plus shipping and the $25 transfer fee my FFL charged me. (The 21" model is $795). The quality is excellent and after test firing it the only problem I have had is getting the bolt to close all the way when 1st loading it but that is getting better(I had to rack the slide back on one mag only last time). I also had to increase the gas regulator. The tolerences are very tight and it seems to be a matter of breaking in the bolt where it contacts the slide rail. The accuracy is very good and the fit and finish are unbelievable. The gun is built like a rock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Try [url]www.azexarms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#14]
The website lists $225 for the park job.

[url]www.azexarms.com [/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top