Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/15/2004 5:02:40 PM EST
Okay..long story short...

I was rear ended while stopped in traffic...by some Meth Head looking dude. (His Aunt's car and it did have insurance, but he had a suspended license and admitted to taking Valium and Darvocet two hours before driving) Mr. Meth Head did leave the scene, but I followed as traffic was really congested and he eventually pulled over, probably after figuring he had no place to go.

Advised 9-1-1 operator that I was hurting in my back and neck, but advised that I did not feel I had any life threatening injuries. Also advised Deputy of back and neck pain. No ambulance was called, offered, or requested by anyone including myself.

When I was hit I was slammed forward HARD..and instantly felt it in my back and neck.

Now sitting around the house the pain is actually getting worse.

I have been in a few accidents, but never rear ended...

Any advice would be great...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:06:18 PM EST
Go to the doctor.

Go to the chiropractor as often as he'll let you into the office.

Hire an honest lawyer, if you can find one.

I've been there, still suffer and didn't get nearly what I should have considering the pain I'm still in every day a decade later.

You'll probably feel a lot better in a month or so and think you're fine, but you won't be. Don't settle anything for at least a year.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:09:29 PM EST
Go to the hospital now. Even though you don't think it is an emergency, you may still have something wrong. Besides, they can give you a scrip for some pain pills to help dull the pain. But go get checked out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:24:52 PM EST
i was rear ended on saturday and posted here for advice. i went to the doctor saturday night. after a few days of dealing with his insurance company i hired a lawer. first you should go to your doctor if you have insurance. then get a lawer and he will send you to a doctor or chiropractor that he works with often. report the crash to your insurance company. let your lawer handle the rest. make a full recovery and keep us updated.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:47:05 PM EST
GO TO ER RIGHT NOW! Trust me on this one. I work in the Radiology department and take X-rays of people just like you. You MUST get a cervical spine X-ray immediately. It is possible (not probable, but possible) that you could have a severe trauma to your C-spine. If so, at any moment you could do something that will cause permanent paralysis.

I recall another tech who told me once that a man had gone through something similar, and then went to his Chiropractor a week later for adjustments. After a few treatments he still wasn't feeling right. So he finally got an X-ray. The Radiologist on duty FREAKED out when he saw the C-spine X-ray. He immediately ordered the man into a collar. He had a fractured C-2, the dens/odontoid, and if he had gotten one more adjustment or turned his head quickly it would have snapped the odontoid off and instantly killed him.

GO TO THE ER RIGHT NOW!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:49:30 PM EST
I blew out L5/S1 during a Martial Arts test. Hurt pretty bad that day. Two days later I could barely walk. GO TO THE DOCS NOW!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:54:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 5:55:35 PM EST by icantdance]
Too bad ... you should of laid down on the ground and demanded medical treatment.

Call your lawyer!!

But I'm glad it wasn't worse on you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:56:00 PM EST
Ya really ought to think about changing the title to this topic.

"I got rear ended and its starting to hurt"?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:04:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:11:44 PM EST
1. GO TO ER RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! Back and neck pain can be symptoms of something more serious.
2. You will probly start to receive letters from lawyers. Collect them in a file along with the police report and take photos of the damage. Put police report on the bottom of the file this position will come in handy when dealing with the insuriance adjuster. Put the Doctor's report at the bottom also. When talking with the adjustor say let me find the report under all these lawyer letters who want my business, you will be supprised at how fast the adjuster will change he attitude.
3. Contact a lawyer first to see what your rights are under the law. Some lawyers will give the first consult for free and if you like him/her you can skip step 2.
4. GO TO THE DOCTOR. Most injuries can hide for days or even years.

I was hit by a fool who was doing 45mph just behind my driver's side door while sitting at a red light. This resulted in a truck that only had 800 miles on it being put in the shop. The insurance company tried to first blame me until I showed the police report which was at the bottom of a stack of lawyer letters and had in nice large letters 'NOT THIS DRIVER"S FAULT"(It pays to have friends in the police department). The adjustor then said they would repair and not replace the truck. I said fine but the truck would be fixed better then new or it was to court( this was how it was handled by advice from a lawyer friend). Short of it is a truck that was repair and cutomized to better than new at a price that was 5000 dollars more than i paid for it. A nice collection of assorted fire arms. Six months of medical care fro my injuries. 5000 cash.
Unfortunely 10 years latter i started having back pain(3 herniated disk) that the doc says was probly rooted in the accident.

Just my advice take it or leave it but GO SEE A DOCTOR and good luck and health.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:12:45 PM EST
GO TO THE HOSPITAL!

It took 2 years to clear my accident. I never went, and should have.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:15:39 PM EST
Have someone DRIVE you to the hospital ER...NOW. Follow the advice of the others here and seek medical treatment immediately.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:26:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By rainman:
Ya really ought to think about changing the title to this topic.

"I got rear ended and its starting to hurt"?

Yeah, the Greek part of me was wondering about that....

CW
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:28:00 PM EST
Could be bad, could be nothing. I got rear-ended by some chick looking for a date (common in New York, they see a guy driving a new car and bump it to meet him), and my muscles started stiffening up an hour or so later. Took a few weeks before the soft-tissue damage healed.

Still, you sound like you got hit a lot harder than she hit me. Go get looked at just in case. Better safe than extra-crispy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:29:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
I'm sorry to hear it, Nathan. Now that I've said that--go to the frigging ER RFN. Geez, you should know that.

Let me know how you make out--this could change your life forever.

Let me know.

I guess I am / was trying to avoid going to the ER and let my wife X-ray me.

Having a LEO and EMS background I know all too well that I should get checked out...guess I was just trying to be macho. On scene it was more of a discomfort...but now that the adrenaline has subsided it is really hitting me.

I should have been clearer on the advice needed….. I know to get medical treatment and I know I should have left from the scene to do it, but I didn’t even though I know better.

I have been in accidents before, but never one that I was injured in. I hear all the horror stories about people having major problems later (and you guys confirm this with your stories) and I wanted to make sure I do the right thing for the long term.

Meaning…. Insurance, lawyers, doctors… so on.

Now I have to deal with vehicle damage, pain, and another Meth Head knowing where I live so he can visit when he gets out of jail.

Okay…. Making a call for a ride now…enough of this macho shit …. guess my wife gets to X-Ray me. BTW… she already chewed my ass for not coming in earlier.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:35:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 6:35:54 PM EST by Greywolf2112]
Glad to hear you are going in - and I really hope all is well. Another piece of advice - get TWO Radiologists to read your X-rays. Sometimes one can miss what the other won't.

Also, be very specific with the Rad Tech where you are hurting, and see if they can use a Lead BB to mark the area that is hurting. The more info you give the better.

Insist on a full series C-spine Xray - including an open mouth Odontoid shot, lateral, AP Axial, and both obliques.

Hope all goes well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:40:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:
Glad to hear you are going in - and I really hope all is well. Another piece of advice - get TWO Radiologists to read your X-rays. Sometimes one can miss what the other won't.

Also, be very specific with the Rad Tech where you are hurting, and see if they can use a Lead BB to mark the area that is hurting. The more info you give the better.

Insist on a full series C-sping Xray - including an open mouth Odontoid shot, lateral, AP Axial, and both obliques.

Hope all goes well.

Waiting on ride now....thought I would post again.

My wife is a Rad Tech and would probably be the one taking the shots. I know she will do everything required and then some....she takes good care of me.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:50:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:34:08 AM EST
Excellent! Keep us informed. And your wife sounds like a good Tech, being all pissed off at you and all for not going in immediately. We see enough really bad ones to want to make sure our loved ones are OK.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:08:58 AM EST
big tag
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:07:06 PM EST
Update...

Nothing broken and the ER Doc put me on a muscle relaxer and a couple other medications with a follow up visit to a neurologist & physical therapist.

My neck pain is still pretty bad, but the medications the Doc gave take the edge off for now.

Will update more later..
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:15:45 PM EST
Five years of traffic patrol has taught me that ANY accident more than a 3mph fender bender is cause for calling an ambulance. YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO KNOW IF YOU ARE HURT. If you try to claim an injury after the fact the opposing lawyer WILL use the fact you did not call an ambulance at the time against you!

Lets review, ALWAYS CALL AN AMBULANCE! Class dismissed. (Yeah, I know alot of the times it is not necessary but my sister-in-law got screwed as she relied on her insurance company's lawyer only to find out that the defendant had the same insurance company. The lawyer she eventually hired lost the case and because she did not call an ambulance at the time of the incident, she was awarded nothing for her permanent neck injury. I have seen other examples where a shocked, bleeding woman in 20 degree winter temperatures says she feels fine only to start aching after warming up in the patrol car.) Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:19:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 5:21:37 PM EST by bear3351]

I am glad you are taking care of this with a Dr.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:46:40 AM EST
Even with nothing really hurt , you are going to feel it. You tense up but good if you see it coming, and even if surprised some things tighten right up way too tight and some get pulled a little loose and in a few days after the initial reaction and adrenaline finally wears off . The tight things start to loosen and the loosened start to tighten and you hurt.

If you have medical from work use that to begin with and let the insurance companies work it out later. Get fixed first, worry later.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:50:02 AM EST
I didnt go right after mine and I still hurt, later when I did go, I was told it was nothing and would go away, hand and wrist still hurt 6 months later.
Top Top