Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:39:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 10:42:58 PM EDT by REALM]
My g/f and her family live in Gulfport/Biloxi about 1/4 mile from the beach. Reports from her uncle is that their houses are intact, although slightly damaged.

Anyway, g/f and family are heading back to get clothes & stuff they need, maybe stay a night or two, and then probably come back here to Memphis. They can't survive on the money and items they have with them.

So... what do I need to take?

So far:

Dodge Ram 4x4 (need truck to haul back their crud)
Gas (I hate taking gas in 5-gal jugs in bed, but I doubt I'll be able to find any down there... which means I'll need like 30 gallons in the bed. Safety suggestions?)
Glock 26 & ammo (just in case)
Flashlights & batteries
Food & water for 5 days (just in case... MRE's)
Radio
A few extra supplies we can descretely give to a few neighbors that are staying
Tow strap
Jack

Is this over doing it, or what am I missing?
I hear it could be like Mad Max down there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:41:10 PM EDT
chainsaw to clear roads.

extra gas, there's no gas in tupelo, starkville, oxford or vicksburg MS from what i've heard from friends.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:41:50 PM EDT
Is it safe for me to put (8) 5-gallon jugs of gas in my pickup bed?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:42:20 PM EDT
Lots of gas. Make sure you pack enough gas for yourself to get home or you will be stranded!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:42:45 PM EDT
Yes it is safe imho.

Take someone else with a gun to cover your back, just in case...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:43:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 4:52:08 PM EDT by Waldo]
I'd stop at the docs and make sure your immunizations are all up to date.

ETA, take lots of bug juice for the skeeters, no telling what kind of nasty shit is going to crop up in the aftermath of that mess. I'd take some potable agua tabs and treat any water that didn't come out of a sealed bottle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:44:46 PM EDT
CB or HAM radio just in case you can not get out. OH and a shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:48:23 PM EDT
GMRS/FRS 2-Way Radios... no phones, they will be handy and the locals can use them when you leave.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:49:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By REALM:
Is it safe for me to put (8) 5-gallon jugs of gas in my pickup bed?

Keep it covered and out of sight if possible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:49:35 PM EDT
I would take a water filter, tent, sleeping bag, matches, tools, first aid kit, all kinds of shit.

Go over to the Survival Forum and search for what those guys have in their BOB's.

Take one of each
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:53:11 PM EDT
Better take a trailer so you can bring back a couple of looted big screen tv's.

I would pack a 12 V mini air compressor and a couple of cans of fix-a-flat or slime. Never know when you're going to have a flat tire in an area like that. Maybe a tire patch/plug kit too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 4:56:13 PM EDT by DzlBenz]
WAAAAAAAYYYYYY more water. You will need it for drinking, cooking, sanitation, in case your vehicle overheats...

2-Way radios for communications because there's no cell or landline phone service.

Maps, maps, maps, maps, maps and maps.

Extra water. At least 5 gallons/person/day. 10 is better.

Respirators, unless you like breathing the stench of death.

More clothes than you think you will need. You can't do l;aundry, and you are bound to get FILTHY. Stay as clean as possible.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of water.

As much ice as you can practically transport.

Shotgun and ammunition.

Spare magazines for the Glock - loaded!

Did I mention WATER?

If you're taking food for 5 days, you must be planning to only be gone for 2. Scale up accordingly.

Tons o' tarps. (It's a TARP!)

And finally, lots of extra water. It's free where you are now, but at your destination people will kill for it. Really.

Still wanna go? I say tell the girlfriend and family to bring as little as absolutely necessary. Their "crud" as you so lovingly put it, can be replaced.

ETA:
Comprehensive First Aid kit, plus the smarts to know how to use it.
Snakebite kits - several!
Extra water, because I'm not sure if I mentioned it before.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:55:51 PM EDT
More gas
Chainsaw is a good idea
More water
More guns and ammo.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:56:33 PM EDT
Mapping GPS

No road signs and there may be a lot of detours off normal routes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:58:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 4:58:32 PM EDT by DzlBenz]
How are the battery, tires, hoses, belts, lights, filters, etc., in your truck? They'd better be tip-top, because if anything lets you down in Gulfport, you've made a one-way trip.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:02:33 PM EDT
Small list to get you started.

Water
Ice
Food
Baby wipes
hand wipes
Basic first aid kit
Suntan lotion
DEET
Soap
Shampoo
Toothpaste and brushes
Coolers
flashlights and lots of batteries

If you plan on handing stuff out to neighbors etc. I would pick up a bunch of the travel size packets to keep the cost low and be able to spread it around.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 5:06:27 PM EDT by ZW17]
You had better bring more than a glock if you are carrying all that gas. You will have some attempts to steal it, guaranteed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:06:31 PM EDT
I don't think you have enough room to haul what you need without a trailer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:19:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
WAAAAAAAYYYYYY more water. You will need it for drinking, cooking, sanitation, in case your vehicle overheats...

2-Way radios for communications because there's no cell or landline phone service.

Maps, maps, maps, maps, maps and maps.

Extra water. At least 5 gallons/person/day. 10 is better.

Respirators, unless you like breathing the stench of death.

More clothes than you think you will need. You can't do l;aundry, and you are bound to get FILTHY. Stay as clean as possible.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of water.

As much ice as you can practically transport.

Shotgun and ammunition.

Spare magazines for the Glock - loaded!

Did I mention WATER?

If you're taking food for 5 days, you must be planning to only be gone for 2. Scale up accordingly.

Tons o' tarps. (It's a TARP!)

And finally, lots of extra water. It's free where you are now, but at your destination people will kill for it. Really.

Still wanna go? I say tell the girlfriend and family to bring as little as absolutely necessary. Their "crud" as you so lovingly put it, can be replaced.

ETA:
Comprehensive First Aid kit, plus the smarts to know how to use it.
Snakebite kits - several!
Extra water, because I'm not sure if I mentioned it before.

In case it hasn't been mentioned BRING WATER!

Chainsaw is a must Lots of two cycle gas, bar oil and a spare chain or two.

A Coleman type of liquid fueled camp stove. When we were without power after the hurricanes last year, my 30 year old Coleman stove was nice to have. Cook food, boil water,. Did someone mention WATER? Propane is nice, but where do you get it when the bottle runs out. Gas can be picked up from the closest abandoned car if needed.

Figure out a way to cover your truck bed, nothing will be safe. TRUST ME ON THIS!

As I think of more, I'll add. Just thought of some things An axe or hatchet and a machete.

Best of luck, expect to be real miserable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:24:39 PM EDT
at least one, or maybe two full sized spare tires. One under the truck bed, and another strapped to the roof. Itll look dumb, but its better than driving on a flat. With all the shit going on, there have to be sharps everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:25:38 PM EDT
Don't forget one helluva good pair of boots, maybe even wadders!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:34:40 PM EDT
TOILET PAPER!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:36:31 PM EDT
chain and lock for gas, someone will steal it
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:43:02 PM EDT
I would plan on arriving there in the early AM (0600) get as much as you can and be out by early afternoon. I would not stay in a place where law enforcement is overwhelemed.

(+1 on water, DEET, masks, water filters, gas and firepower)

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:45:27 PM EDT
Get your self a couple tire plug kits, and a portable 12 volt compressor. With all the debris you are going to have a flat or three. Tire slime, plug kit, compressor. Bottled water, lots of it. Hide your fuel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:16 PM EDT
bring extra batteries, rope, food, DEET

LOTS of H2O

watch out: gas is getting low in supply in mid/south MS (i'm in starkville, and the whole town is out of gas)

good luck

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:53:51 PM EDT
first off get a trailer to pull behind to carry all this stuff if you absolutely MUST go. just returning to get clothes? that doesn't make sense to me. ATM's whereever they currently are have money don't they? clothes can be replaced. no sense rushing back there just to get clothes and belongings.

firearms for protection and preferably one other person competent with weapons to watch your 6- preferably at least a shotgun and a handgun each.

EXTRA FUEL!
Water,
nonperishable foodstuffs, MRE's would be smart
Several GOOD quality flashlights, lotsa batteries.
Water
several pairs of good heavy leather gloves and good boots. definitely a couple changes of clothes. at least lotsa extra socks and drawers.

EXTRA FUEL
set of two-way radios extra batteries
a GOOD GPS extra batteries, extra batteries
couple of chainsaws, axe, shovel, machete
definitely make sure your shots are up to date, bring LOTSA skeeter repellant
several LARGE tarps- they will come in handy, if not for yourself, for some other unfortunate souls
+1 on the TIRE repair stuff- TWO flats would seriously suck.- carry an extra spare if possible.
a good, well stocked first aid kit. take a couple. take three if possible.
more WATER its gonna be HOT AS HELL and you can NEVER have too much.

DEFINITELY make sure that truck is in tip top condition before you leave.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:58:43 PM EDT
I second or third the spare tires, portable air compressor and a plug kit. All that debris with nails could stop you really quick. That, and all the other stuff people suggested. You're going on safari in a dangerous area.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:03:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:04:45 PM EDT by NAKED-GUNMAN]

Originally Posted By zoe17:
Get your self a couple tire plug kits, and a portable 12 volt compressor. With all the debris you are going to have a flat or three. Tire slime, plug kit, compressor. Bottled water, lots of it. Hide your fuel.

This is the best and the most important because of all the roofing that has been blown by the hurricane there are millions of nails and sharp objects, your tires pick up a lot of nails..trust me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:01 PM EDT
Are they even going to let you through?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:08:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:09:48 PM EDT by EPOCH96]
yeesh, page 2 and no one has mentioned a....

CAMERA

docuement all damage for insurance purposes. Also post pics on Arfcom,

Stay calm, stay smart, stay alive...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:18:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MudFlapper:

I think there are not even checkpoints set up right now. Everyone is still so shell shocked, they are reacting to everything, not thinking ahead.

NVGs if you have them.
Rifle or two.
Gas, gas, gas...

and oh yeah, gas. There aint none down there.

Good luck.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:30:16 PM EDT by Max_Power]
I posted this in the hurricane thread.

I spent Tuesday in Gulfport, MS. The destruction was unimaginable. The storm surge was at least 30' in Gulfport. Everything within 2 block of the beach was swept into the MS sound. I don't think I saw any structures that weren't dammaged.

I went over to help evac dolphins and sea lions from Marine Life Oceanarium. Their facility was located directly on MS sound. It was completely destroyed. They were able to evac some of their animals to local hotel pools. We moved them to our facility in NW FL. Over half of their staff is now homeless. The rest all sustained serious damage.

I will never forget the images I saw.

Katrina Moves Dolphins to Motel Swimming Pool

Dolphins moved from hotel swimming pools to Panhandle marine park

Gulfarium Rescues Gulfport Dolphins

Bring water, flashlights, food, and spare tires. Get in as early a possible and get the hell out before dark. We didn't get out untill after dark and it was starting to get sketchy. Good luck.

ETA: Mobile, AL was the nearest location with gas. It won't last long. Mobile took a pretty bad hit too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:36:45 PM EDT
I can't add much except did someone mention water and fuel? Take as much of both as you can or have failsafe provisions for replenishment.

The only thing I haven't seen that might be handy is a power inverter. I have had use for one on several occasions in the sticks. Just be sure to monitor your battery.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:38:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattja:
I don't think you have enough room to haul what you need without a trailer.

a lockable UHaul type trailer
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT by Hydguy]
Take a long gun with you. And however much extra food, ammo, and water you think you will need, and then triple it. Take a good firstaid kid. Throw some tampons in it, as they work great for gunshot wounds if needed.
Extra clothes, work gloves respriators with extra filters (not dust masks), tyvec full body suits. All of these items can be gotten at lowes or home depot.

My aunt and uncle went to Pensacola to stay with a friend. They are heading back tomorrow.
My uncle took 2 guns with him. He picked up a few extra boxes of ammo while in P'cola.
My aunt, while not anti-gun, has never been an enthusiastic shooter, but she told my mom that after she heard the reports of looter breaking into peoples homes, and stepping over dead bodies to steal stuff, she wouldn't hesitate to shoot a looter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:49:01 PM EDT
Can't add a whole lot, but sounds like you will need a trailer.

MORE GUNS. I think you really need to take a longgun.

Water, gps, work clothes, etc etc you get the point. Keep the gas covered.

Godspeed, stay safe, keep your head on a swivel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:52:10 PM EDT
Wader's, Foul Weather Gear, an Umbrella?

Take a water filtration device.

Mosquito Repellant
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:12:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:

Take a good firstaid kid. Throw some tampons in it, as they work great for gunshot wounds if needed.

I think you're thinking about sanitary napkins, not tampons.

Good for soaking up alot of blood and as pressure bandages.

+1 on extra water, fuel, car/road clearing tools and weapons.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:19:17 PM EDT
What everybody else said plus:

Multiple flashlights and tons of batteries. I'd personally take my Surefires for myself and a few minimag lights to give to others. I'd take a 6 D-cell maglight for persuasive illumination.

First aid. Cover any and all wounds/cuts/scrapes with Neosporin and keep them clean, dressed and dry.

Several cases of bottled water, gallons and gallons of tap water from home (for bathing, brushing, cooking, radiator and drinking) and a means to purify more.

Camp stove, billy pot, fuel.

Food: Canned goods and snacks- quick meals and quick calories.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 7:30:54 PM EDT by No-Worries]
I'm there with you - my father and I are heading down to Ocean Springs to loot my parents house.

You may run over some lumber on the street with nails, so maybe a can or two of that stuff to pump up and seal your tire.

high boots - Water mocassins

Tarps and plastic bags.

Pliars and hammers.

Bottle of clorox

Bugspray for the noseeums.

water water water

Be careful of plastic bottles of gas against your plastic truck bed liner - static electricity....boom. Keep that truck bed wet where the gas bottles are.

If you plan on staying there a few days - maybe a generator. I just picked up a 3500 watt generator at costco for $280. Nokata or some brand like that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:31:22 PM EDT
I'm the only one to suggest it but I would drive 2 trucks just in case and haul a small trailer with one and have a lot of gas in there and you could carry more spare tires too. You definitly need to carry an assault rifle. It's up to you but if you go good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:54:51 PM EDT
Lawyers, Guns, and Money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bigfeet:

Originally Posted By MudFlapper:

I think there are not even checkpoints set up right now. Everyone is still so shell shocked, they are reacting to everything, not thinking ahead.

NVGs if you have them.
Rifle or two.
Gas, gas, gas...

and oh yeah, gas. There aint none down there.

Good luck.

Bigfeet

The only reason I asked is because the MS DOT lists all the roads (major) closed from the AL state line West.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 8:19:36 PM EDT by REALM]
***************UPDATE****************

­OK, I guess I should clarify that it isn't just to get clothes. There are several priorities here:

#1 Try and convince aging grandparents that are currently there to leave. They are stubborn and think power will be returned in a few days. They have not left the house and have not seen the devastation. They have no idea that it's going to get bad.

#2 Get clothes... Memphis is becoming a refugee camp for her family. Coming in from other parts of the state as well. Don't have money to buy all of them clothes for a month. Best bet is to head down, get what they need, and get out.

#3 Secure valuables. Yes, it's just stuff, but if they have to go down for family, may as well stop off at their houses and collect their irraplaceable things... family heirlooms, etc.

UPDATE ON PLANS:

#1 Gas: It's 600 miles down and back to Memphis, I'll be taking gas to get 800 in my truck, which should also cover the 2nd vehicle we are taking.

#2 I have a Dodge Ram 1500... should be plenty to take everything I need and more, along with bringing their needed crud back. Room for grandparents will be in 2nd vehicle if we can convince them to return with us.

#3 Trying to get neighbor to go with me for a second man to be on hand. Shotgun and .44 mag Trapper rifle have been added to list.

#4 Water: I have (5) 30-gallon water barrels and will be taking 1 with me, along with potable aqua tablets for backup.

#5 Tire plug kit has been added to list, along with air compressor & fix-a-flat, along with (2) spare tires.

#6 Food: Planning on a 3-day trip... I'll increase my food stuffs to a full weeks worth. I have a ton of MRE entrees, so I could conceivably take a couple weeks worth for 4 without taking up a ton of room.

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like a SHTF mission? It didn't hit me 'til just now, but I'm actually starting to use all this cr*p I've been saving and my family thought I was nuts for having.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:46:28 PM EDT

***************UPDATE****************
­
OK, I guess I should clarify that it isn't just to get clothes. There are several priorities here:

#1 Try and convince aging grandparents that are currently there to leave. They are stubborn and think power will be returned in a few days. They have not left the house and have not seen the devastation. They have no idea that it's going to get bad.

#2 Get clothes... Memphis is becoming a refugee camp for her family. Coming in from other parts of the state as well. Don't have money to buy all of them clothes for a month. Best bet is to head down, get what they need, and get out.

#3 Secure valuables. Yes, it's just stuff, but if they have to go down for family, may as well stop off at their houses and collect their irraplaceable things... family heirlooms, etc.

UPDATE ON PLANS:

#1 Gas: It's 600 miles down and back to Memphis, I'll be taking gas to get 800 in my truck, which should also cover the 2nd vehicle we are taking.

#2 I have a Dodge Ram 1500... should be plenty to take everything I need and more, along with bringing their needed crud back. Room for grandparents will be in 2nd vehicle if we can convince them to return with us.

#3 Trying to get neighbor to go with me for a second man to be on hand. Shotgun and .44 mag Trapper rifle have been added to list.

#4 Water: I have (5) 30-gallon water barrels and will be taking 1 with me, along with potable aqua tablets for backup.

#5 Tire plug kit has been added to list, along with air compressor & fix-a-flat, along with (2) spare tires.

#6 Food: Planning on a 3-day trip... I'll increase my food stuffs to a full weeks worth. I have a ton of MRE entrees, so I could conceivably take a couple weeks worth for 4 without taking up a ton of room.

Is it just me, or is this starting to sound like a SHTF mission? It didn't hit me 'til just now, but I'm actually starting to use all this cr*p I've been saving and my family thought I was nuts for having.

It ain't just you.

It IS a SHTF mission.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:49:19 PM EDT
One more thing: Holy Bible.

God be with you, Brother!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:06:14 PM EDT
If it's a quick trip a generator might be overkill. Everybody has pretty much covered thegood stuff.

GodSpeed. Be careful. And be sure to post pictures and a sitrep when you get back.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:37:08 PM EDT
I would seriously think about how much you like this girl. If she is like most women, she is dragging you down there on a $300 trip to recover $50 worth of crap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:51:14 PM EDT

UPDATE ON PLANS:

Wrong. Once you get within 100 miles of there, you will be stop and go in traffic. Everyone else is returning as well. So, you will not be getting the same MPG. I suggest you tell the folks to suck it up and wait. Rational thinking is of the most importance here. See my above post. If the uncle that is there says everything is ok, then believe him and stay put.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:39:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 10:44:37 PM EDT by REALM]
************UPDATE #2******************

G/F is trying to convince grandparents here to stay in Memphis.
G/f ain't too keen on going down there either, but she's freaked about her grandparents.

Uncle that is in Gulfport has to go back to Florida tomorrow where his family is.
Uncle that lives in Gulfport and is there will be heading to Memphis.

They have left food for her Biloxi grandparents that refuse to leave, but it's not going to be enough to last them by any means. Not to mention them dealing with the heat as they're in their late 60's or early 70's.

We have a generous donation from my family to her family here on personal needs, but now we're trying to decide what to do about her Biloxi grandparents that won't leave.

Between lack of food, water, the health situation, etc... it doesn't look good for them, but they are SO naive. They keep saying, "They're good about getting power back, we'll have it in a few days."
They have not been outside their neighborhood, and they are pretty much in the mindset that Monday they'll be able to go back to work as usual. They've already cleaned up all the limbs and stuff in their yard and put the trash on the curb expecting it to be picked up.
The thing is that they wouldn't leave with the uncle that came down because it's not even their family... the uncle was extended family the've met maybe once. If my g/f goes down she may be able to convince them to return to Memphis with her for a "vacation."

So... give me your suggestions:

#1 Leave them be, stay in Memphis and don't take the risk. If they perish it's their own doing for being naive. Save ourselves.
#2 Do the good samaritan thing and get them somewhere safe, but get in & get out ASAP and leave the other cr*p.

Vote!

My g/f's torn on what to do, and I'm not sure either.
Would we regret not doing something, or do you think they'll be fine?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top