Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2005 7:16:29 PM EDT
I need a used car for my wife. I wanted all wheel drive, she's got a small suv right now with a v-6, but she still wants even better gas mileage. I want her in something which isn't just a crappy little tin can with no room and no power. I'll be using it some and we've got two large dogs that need to fit. Looking to spend around 10-12 thousand.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:31:41 PM EDT
subaru outback or forester?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:40:48 PM EDT
I'm in the same boat. Although gas mileage isn't that great, I'm currently leaning toward the Jeep Liberty. Wanted a Rav4, but the two test drives were unimpressive. The Liberty I drove yesterday was much better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:49:16 PM EDT
Not all wheel drive, but I'm real impressed with Dodge Intrepids. They are front wheel drive with a front engine. Should get plenty of traction this winter.

I bought a '94 this spring and love it. It has the 3.5 v6 and I knocked down a good 35miles/gallon this summer on vacation. Ran without the a/c on, that had to help. I get 20 - 23 around town.

Big and comfortable. Gotta' be much better than a tiny car. I got one heck of a deal on this car - $750. But I think it books at around $2200 or so. So you should be able to pick up a much newer one with the budget you have planned. I say give them a look.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:50:37 PM EDT
I've stood on the hiway flagging for a guardrail crew for the last 2 months and i swear, it seems like every 5th vehicle was a damn Subaru. "Outback" or Legacy". There was so damn many that the other flagger, on the radio, and I nicknamed them SRR [subaru w/roof rack] as last vehicle in line. Seems to be a very popular auto.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:32:16 PM EDT
Thanks, I went to the government gas mileage site and after all the considerations I think I'm going to stay with what we've got. If gas stays at $3.50 a gallon, which I doubt, and I improved my mileage by 10 mpg for her current comute, I would only save about $450 a year. The loss of the power, saftey, capacity, and comfort are not worth $450 to me right now.
Top Top