Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2014 6:17:41 PM EST
I plan on doing a lot more camping this year, mostly in remote locations that aren't easily accessed by your off the lot vehicles. I'm not talking about serious rock climbing, but something that will get me some decent fuel mileage, and still be able to traverse over moderately rough terrain/crossing streams with the help of a snorkel kit.

I'd like something I could install a small suspension lift, 33" tires, and a roof rack w/lights. Also, I'd prefer to spend less than 7K on the base vehicle.

Availability of parts in common auto shops is a big plus, as I can change pretty much anything as long as I have the tools.

So, what am I looking for?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:18:43 PM EST
4runner
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:20:55 PM EST
FPNI.

Early to mid 2000s for $7K.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:22:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By smokiexd45:
I plan on doing a lot more camping this year, mostly in remote locations that aren't easily accessed by your off the lot vehicles. I'm not talking about serious rock climbing, but something that will get me some decent fuel mileage, and still be able to traverse over moderately rough terrain/crossing streams with the help of a snorkel kit.

I'd like something I could install a small suspension lift, 33" tires, and a roof rack w/lights. Also, I'd prefer to spend less than 7K on the base vehicle.

Availability of parts in common auto shops is a big plus, as I can change pretty much anything as long as I have the tools.

So, what am I looking for?
View Quote

4runner is not a bad choice, but Im a Ford guy. My camping/BOV/ work truck is a 97 F150 with a camper top on All Terrains. Gets about 15 mpg hwy with the 5.4. I love my truck
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:30:34 PM EST
Here is my '99 that I purchased in '00. It got demoted from being a DD in '08 and it's still in great shape. They are great vehciles, but don't be fooled! You're going to have to do a lot of work to make one like this be capable of regularly dealing with tasks you describe.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:30:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2014 6:47:37 PM EST by bafordman]
Lifted Jeep Cherokee. Add lockers and big tires and you can go anywhere. I've seen a lot of them that were already modified at pretty decent prices.

They are also about as modular as an AR15 or a real Jeep.

eta: Here you go, (TX Craigslist)
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:32:57 PM EST
This thread needs more Wrangler...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:33:13 PM EST
I would add the Nissan Xterra to the list.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:35:18 PM EST
cherokee
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:35:59 PM EST
JEEP!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:38:53 PM EST
OP, can you post some photos of terrain you expect to encounter? It may help in determining what mods you should get.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:41:08 PM EST
Keep the suggestions coming, I really appreciate all the input.

I'll put up a poll after the first page based on the popular models.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:42:06 PM EST
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:45:09 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 84bthomas:
cherokee
View Quote

This would be my pick. Tons of parts and aftermarket out there. Doesn't require you to be an engineer to work on it either.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:45:11 PM EST
A v6 3rd generation 4runner with a rear locker (factory option from 96-00) would be ideal. A 2.5-3" spacer lift will clear 285/75/16 tires and take you anywhere you want to go.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:46:35 PM EST

Get a Wrangler. The cool thing is you'll gain all kinds of friends.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:47:41 PM EST
Don't forget the 80 series landcruiser either. 94-97 were available with front and rear factory lockers. Expect much higher maintenance costs with a landcruiser though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:48:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By lunchbox704:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:54:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2014 6:57:42 PM EST by smokiexd45]
Originally Posted By ffcol:
OP, can you post some photos of terrain you expect to encounter? It may help in determining what mods you should get.
View Quote

I want a vehicle I can get wet inside if needed to get to point B.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:58:41 PM EST
View Quote

My impression of Wranglers, (and I own one);
Very capable offroad with very few mods.
Too small to carry hardly any cargo.
Mostly poor highway manners when modified.
Horrible gas mileage.
Uncomfortable as hell.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:11:10 PM EST
80 Series Land Cruiser. Especially if you find one with factory F/R lockers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:17:16 PM EST
Lifts, even small ones, can be a can of worms. If you've never done one I'd make sure you research it first and think long and hard about how much you really want or need it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:18:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2014 7:19:38 PM EST by WilliamGray]
View Quote

A decent wrangler that is under 7k is going to be hard to find.

I would suggest a Suzuki samurai.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:20:13 PM EST
He said durable, not a Chrysler

OP needs an AMC Jeep
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:22:00 PM EST
Tahoe
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:22:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2014 7:24:41 PM EST by Atomic_Ferret]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Here is my '99 that I purchased in '00. It got demoted from being a DD in '08 and it's still in great shape. They are great vehciles, but don't be fooled! You're going to have to do a lot of work to make one like this be capable of regularly dealing with tasks you describe.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DriftPunch/media/4Runner_lores.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/4Runner_lores.jpg</a>
View Quote

This with 3.4, elocker rear, small lift, wheels, tires, winch, recovery gear and armor.

Pretty much get you everywhere you will want to take a vehicle you plan on driving home.

And the aftermarket for toyota trucks, 4runners and Land Cruisers is immense.

ETA: Don't get a "lift kit", get a legit suspension system. There are suspensions out there that is for looks, stuff for general use, stuff for going fast and for crawling.
Careful, if you think BRD is expensive, start building trucks.
Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:25:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:26:27 PM EST
4runner
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:26:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By dillweed:
Lifts, even small ones, can be a can of worms. If you've never done one I'd make sure you research it first and think long and hard about how much you really want or need it.
View Quote

I'm looking for function here, so something that is going to change drive angles to the point of being really stressed is not something I'm interested in. I just want some additional clearance for obstacles. (stumps, rocks, ruts) Like I mentioned, 33's are as big as I really care to put on it with enough lift to fully flex the suspension.

Currently drive a tundra with 34.5"s, but the fuel mileage kills it for long road trips.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:28:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2014 7:30:15 PM EST by BoRdErBaCoN]
4Runner or Land Cruiser.

Find yourself and FJ40 for the win!

Edit -

Currently drive a tundra with 34.5"s, but the fuel mileage kills it for long road trips.
View Quote

Oh... never mind then. 4Runner it is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:29:49 PM EST

I'm looking for function here, so something that is going to change drive angles to the point of being really stressed is not something I'm interested in. I just want some additional clearance for obstacles. (stumps, rocks, ruts) Like I mentioned, 33's are as big as I really care to put on it with enough lift to fully flex the suspension.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

None of the vehicles suggested are going to have an appreciable increase in mileage once you lift it and add a snorkel. Are you keeping the Tundra?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:30:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
Crown Vic

http://youtu.be/KFwPXEeJ3aI
View Quote

Hell yes!!!

I ran into that dude when I worked in SE Utah. He was crushing it!

cheers,

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:32:34 PM EST
A lifted 1999 Cherokee XJ
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:33:08 PM EST
3rd gen 4Runner, look out for the "pink milkshake" (look it up)
80 series Land Cruiser
TJ Jeep (cheap to work on and easy to fix)
Late 1990s Tacoma (but those cost 19 grand)
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:33:41 PM EST
4runner. Rip out all the IFS shit and replace it with a solid axle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:42:30 PM EST

None of the vehicles suggested are going to have an appreciable increase in mileage once you lift it and add a snorkel. Are you keeping the Tundra?
View All Quotes

Probably keeping the tundra, I love that damn truck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:56:27 PM EST
70 nova lol if a crown vic can do it a nova can do it better
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:46:05 AM EST

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/977D4FAA-F9BF-4934-85FB-15FDD5A57F68-13431-00000E7BF262D781_zps5b34af38.jpg
View All Quotes

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh174/smokiesmokie/977D4FAA-F9BF-4934-85FB-15FDD5A57F68-13431-00000E7BF262D781_zps5b34af38.jpg

Ummm, why do you need sonethibg else? 2WD? Nice truck. Throw a topper on it and use it
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:15:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By grey50beast:

Ummm, why do you need sonethibg else? 2WD? Nice truck. Throw a topper on it and use it
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grey50beast:

No, it's 4wd. The reason I want something else is I'd rather not leave this truck parked on a back trail while I go away hiking/camping for a few days. Plus, I really don't want to get the interior wet. The vehicle I need is something I can put through a little more abuse than this one and not lose sleep over it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:20:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By akrox:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:41:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2014 3:43:05 AM EST by Tod-13]

View All Quotes

Off-road vehicle and good gas mileage do seem at odds.
Never underestimate the advantage of having a vehicle that you know the history of and is reliable.
I'd keep the Tundra and maybe get an Outback or another Subaru that has the 8.5" of ground clearance for a DD and better gas mileage. Then do what you want with the Tundra.

ETA: nice looking truck. Reminds me of my Dakota.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:47:30 AM EST

View All Quotes

That is a badass tundra.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:55:43 AM EST
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4465933345.html

You want this or a Pinzgauer if you are keeping the Tundra and will not take the Tundra off road. You have to bump your price up but no mods are necessary.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:57:56 AM EST
Either of the zj or xj line. Cheap parts easy to work on and mods are also pretty chea
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:09:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By JustJim:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustJim:
Originally Posted By akrox:

Another vote and a pic to get your blood pumping. (not mine)

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:16:25 AM EST
Another option...WJ or WK Grand Cherokee...this one is mine and it is a diesel as well...

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:28:38 AM EST
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4465933345.html

You want this or a Pinzgauer if you are keeping the Tundra and will not take the Tundra off road. You have to bump your price up but no mods are necessary.
View Quote

That's thing is freaking awesome!
I just don't know if autozone in BFE would have a timing belt or water pump in stock.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:31:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By scootr29:
Another option...WJ or WK Grand Cherokee...this one is mine and it is a diesel as well...

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-hNbqzP8/0/L/i-hNbqzP8-L.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-xZspvww/0/L/i-xZspvww-L.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-bGXpTJF/0/L/i-bGXpTJF-L.jpg

View Quote

What kind of hwy mileage do you get with that? I wasn't aware they put diesel engines in those.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:31:54 AM EST
The two pics you posted don't seem to bear out what you are looking for, capability-wise.

Neither one of those pics looked to me like necessitating 33's or lockers.

Water crossing would be the biggest thing you face.

In all honesty, to me, it looks like you would do fine with a 97-01 Cherokee with a couple inches lift and 31's.

Move all electronics off of the floor, pull carpet and bedline the interior.

Run engine air intake through the cowl, and move all drivetrain vents up into engine compartment.

A minimum of extra creature comforts (power windows and locks are not your friends if regularly dunking the rig).

Maybe true tracs at both ends.

You should be able to do that, including your vehicle purchase, for the 7 grand that you wanted to budget for the vehicle alone.

Nick

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:34:17 AM EST

What kind of hwy mileage do you get with that? I wasn't aware they put diesel engines in those.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scootr29:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-hNbqzP8/0/L/i-hNbqzP8-L.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-xZspvww/0/L/i-xZspvww-L.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-bGXpTJF/0/L/i-bGXpTJF-L.jpg

While nice, you are not going to get into a WK for 7, especially a diesel.

You would also end up feeling the same about leaving it in the back country as you do your current Tundra.

GC's get expensive to lift high enough to clear 33's as well (although I don't think you need 33's for the terrain you posted).

Nick

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:35:02 AM EST
I vote 4runner.

Just DO NOT get one with the 3VZE V6.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top