Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2016 1:39:13 PM EDT
Im looking at the Ikea Hesseng, seems firm, pocket sprung.
Thats it. I'm no mattress expert, anyone here is?
Any advice would be great.
I'm buying it tomorrow.
Thanks.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:41:05 PM EDT
Sleep Number or bust.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:52:06 PM EDT
The latex memory foam with cool gel I got is nice. Nothing else I can say because I don't have one.

Really want to try a adjustable base sleep number king. But am worried about long term durability and center hump.

A good mattress and a good night sleep is pricey. Some people pay more for a couch than the mattress that they use 6-9 hours a night.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:57:35 PM EDT

Old school waterbed. Everything else kills my back.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:11:18 PM EDT
I would recommend staying away from anything innerspring..

Natural latex is my suggestions.. we got ours from sleepez.com

Brian
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:14:44 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macman37:
Sleep Number or bust.
View Quote

Sleep Number SUCKS!

Get a foam from Amazon.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:23:39 PM EDT
IMO a mattress is one of those things you spend money on to be comfortable

You use it every day. Every day.

IKEA is not where I buy every day items for comfort

We have been happy with Simmons mattresses
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:28:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/23/2016 9:48:36 PM EDT by kc-coyote]
You definitely get what you pay for with a mattress. Unlike car dealers, where you can shop around by looking at same model...with mattresses each store could have the same EXACT mattress, but call it something different. This is purposely done, as they don't want you to be able to compare prices. My recommendation would be to go to a large mattress store and try out the different ones. Take a picture of the tag which shows the model and firmness you like and then contact one of the major on-line mattress retailers. They will likely know what that model is (even if it is not listed on their website) and usually you will save 30-40% on-line versus buying it in brick and mortar store, plus no sales tax. Both times I did it this way, the mattress was delivered FREE by a local company and was EXACTLY what I wanted. Simmons World Class Recharge Annapolis Place is what I most recently went with....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:29:14 PM EDT
I'm not an expert either. Last time I bought a mattress, my wife and I went to some furniture store where they told us to lay on every mattress in the place.

It was expensive, but I don't regret spending the money. I know we ended up buying a Beautyrest TruEnergy of some type.

We used to stay in nice hotels and love the mattresses. Not any more.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:36:41 PM EDT
This is what i have and i love it. I also have one in my fla apt.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:37:41 PM EDT
Mattress shopping sucks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:38:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Scott_R:
I'm not an expert either. Last time I bought a mattress, my wife and I went to some furniture store where they told us to lay on every mattress in the place.

It was expensive, but I don't regret spending the money. I know we ended up buying a Beautyrest TruEnergy of some type.

View Quote

This is what I did 13 years ago. Went to the local Homemaker's store on my lunch hour and spent a few minutes on every mattress there. The Simmons BeautyRest was way better than the rest and I bought it. Still nice 13 years later but has depressions where I lay, so I'm about to do it again. Gonna go lay on them all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:39:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BurtMacklin:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJZ18PS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View Quote

These require a box spring?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:43:50 PM EDT
Just did the same three months ago. Went to Mattress Express or some such and lay down for 5 or 10 minutes on the ones in my price range. I don't know that trying them out makes a difference, they'll tell you it takes a couple weeks to break it in, but in reality it takes that amount of time for you to adjust to the new mattress.
Picked a Beauty Rest. No problems so far but I don't have back problems.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:45:26 PM EDT
I have a Casper, best bed I've had. They have a 100 night trial where you buy the mattress you can call them within the 100 days and they send a charity to come pick up the mattress. The charity gets the mattress you get your money back and Casper writes it off. Seems like a pretty good deal to me if you aren't happy with the purchase.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:45:30 PM EDT
Original mattress factory is what you want here in America
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:47:20 PM EDT
Ghost bed is what me and the wife have.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:47:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tyrendeth:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJZ18PS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No. We got a memory foam mattress of amazon about a year ago. King for about 450 (dynasty mattress I think). No box spring needed, let us get a nice storage bed frame with drawers under the bed. So far zero regrets. I sleep great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:48:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:52:26 PM EDT

View All Quotes

I have it on one of these

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:53:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

I've seen a lot of ads for these and have wondered whether they were worth anything.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zpack:
I have a Casper, best bed I've had. They have a 100 night trial where you buy the mattress you can call them within the 100 days and they send a charity to come pick up the mattress. The charity gets the mattress you get your money back and Casper writes it off. Seems like a pretty good deal to me if you aren't happy with the purchase.

I've seen a lot of ads for these and have wondered whether they were worth anything.

Use the code levin for a special discount lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:57:41 PM EDT
Costco Memory Foam Queen - Approx $500
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:01:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/23/2016 9:01:51 PM EDT by zpack]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zpack:

lol I forgot to put in my post google for a coupon. I have had mine a year and we really like it. My wife slept on our guest bed (our last mattress) this week since I wasn't feeling well, and was complaining that the mattress was terrible and we needed to get a Casper for that room too. There are a bunch that are similar to the Casper and are just as good (the mattress underground is a great site to read about them) we chose Casper over the others in the same category based on the firmness rating.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:36:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:

This is what I did 13 years ago. Went to the local Homemaker's store on my lunch hour and spent a few minutes on every mattress there. The Simmons BeautyRest was way better than the rest and I bought it. Still nice 13 years later but has depressions where I lay, so I'm about to do it again. Gonna go lay on them all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:
Originally Posted By Scott_R:

Beautyrest is the best bang for the buck by a far margin. Bought a nice set from Macy's who had a nice price at their semi-annual sale. Great deal on a warranty which I normally wouldn't buy but if you dont use it, you get the cost back in a gift card at the end.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:45:31 PM EDT
Tagging this
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:59:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gadsden1776:

Sleep Number SUCKS!

Get a foam from Amazon.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gadsden1776:
Originally Posted By macman37:
Sleep Number or bust.

Sleep Number SUCKS!

Get a foam from Amazon.

Everybody I know who has a sleep number likes it. Except me, but I got the classic model. Ended up with the amazon foam and am very happy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:05:30 PM EDT
Ikea... No

Start by looking here first Sleep Like The Dead
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:06:28 AM EDT

View All Quotes

they require a platform (solid, non-moving) surface..
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:50:16 AM EDT
Ok so I went this morning and spent some time trying a few with my wife.
I'll say that most of the stuff I read online was pretty biased, especially by mattress websites, which each seemed to have their favorite brand.
Whenever reading forums and more independent reviews, the Hesseng from Ikea sounded great (and felt great too this morning!) and that's what we're going for so far. They are out of stock until next week so I can still change my mind but I have the order already printed.
The Ikea chick said the Hesseng is the best mattress they make. Its inidivually wrapped coils, which is often what best mattresses are made of. All natural materials, horse hair, cotton, wool, latex steel or what not. Anyway, its supposed to be good. Its pretty firm which I like, but you can order it either firm or medium. It reminds me of my old Simmons Beautyrest, also individually wrapped springs. Man I loved that mattress.
WHat really did it for me was the warranty. No questions returend for the first year, 20 year warranty after that. It pretty much gives me a year to try and return no questions asked. None of the other mattresses recommended by local websites offfered anything nearly as good in terms of warranty. Ive had good look with Ikea in general, they generally make good stuff so if I dont like it it goes back.
Oh, a neat thing if youre about to buy one yourself:
I'm combining it with this kickass matress topper,TROMSDALEN, latex and cotton. Its 300 bucks but the firm matress combines beautifully with this soft layer on top. The combination of the two makes for one of the best mattresses Ive ever rested on ever, like those nice high end hotel mattresses.
I also read that the mattress topper helps a lot in protecting the matress and extending its life. Its avaialble in USA in case you want to try it out.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20330938/

Here's the Hesseng.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/mattresses/mattresses-toppers/hesseng-pocket-sprung-mattress-firm-natural-colour-art-30258734/

Originally Posted By ScopeEye:
Ikea... No

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScopeEye:
Ikea... No

Yeah.. looked into that. I at least wouldnt trust that website.
Its either dishonest or mediocre. They dont specify any models from Ikea, and what they say regarding coil mattresses isnt accurate anyomre. The one I'm buying has all natural components. Horse hair, cotton, natural latex, steel coils.

Originally Posted By thatguy:
I would recommend staying away from anything innerspring..

Natural latex is my suggestions.. we got ours from sleepez.com

Brian

Why? the best most expensive matress, they all have inidivually wrapped coils, the kind that you sit on and the person sleeping in the same bed doesnt notice the movement.
FerFAL
Top Top