Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 4:54:56 PM EDT
I have a friend who tends to be a little liberal but will also listen to reason when it comes to most subjects, including guns.  We had a long conversation earlier today and I pointed out how most liberal ideas are not based on any facts but are, instead, based on emotions.  I mentioned how the gun control groups lie and even have admitted it.  He said if I produce proof of that, he would come over to our side.  I also mentioned where some of them have come right out and said that it was not about public safety, that they just wanted the damn guns.  I seem to remember Howard Metzenbaum (I think it was him) saying just that.  Any links would be appreciated to that type of info as I can't seem to find a damn thing.

He started about how the NRA wasn't upset about Columbine and other school/workplace shootings and would not admit that there was a problem. I told him he was full of shit (we are good enough friends that we can do that to each other) and that he again was listening to mindless liberal bullshit.  I told him how the NRA has, for years, been lobbying the Feds to simply enforce the existing laws and stop trying to pass more laws that only affect those of us who are not the damn problem to start with.  I told him that the NRA and all gunowners realize there is a problem, but it is not the damn guns, it is those who choose to ignore the law who are the problem.  This goes back to the first part about existing laws instead of more because the existing laws did not stop those 2 punks at Columbine, who violated something like 22 Federal laws before they even started shooting.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.  My friend is open minded about it and is beginning to realize he has been hearing lies from Sarah, Bill, and friends.

Links?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:15:08 PM EDT
[url]http://www.guncite.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:30:24 PM EDT
"No, we're not looking at how to control criminals ... we're talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns."

-U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum, 1993

"I'm not interested in getting a bill that deals with airport security... all I want to do is get at plastic guns."

-U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum, 1993

"I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns."

-U.S. Senator. Howard Metzenbaum, 1994

Assault weapons... are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully-automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons — anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun — can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons."

-Josh Sugarmann, "Assault Weapons: Analysis, New Research and Legislation", March 1989

[b]"The NRA is right...handgun controls do little to stop criminals from obtaining handguns."

-Josh Sugarman, former communications director for the Coalition Against Gun Violence [/b]

"My experience as a street cop suggests that most merchants should not have guns. But I feel even stronger about the average person having them...most homeowners...simply have no need to own guns."

-Joseph McNamara, San Jose, California ex-Police Chief, and HCI spokesman
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:33:16 PM EDT
I love pulling out the Ayn Rand quotes.  Nobody can rebut, because they are purely logical and blatantly obvious.

It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there is service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."

-Ayn Rand

"'There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ... Create a nation of law-breakers, and then you cash in on the guilt.'"

-Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged", Chapter III, "White Blackmail"

"We are fast approaching the stage in the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest period of human history; the stage of rule by brute force."

-Ayn Rand
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:45:00 PM EDT
Doublefeed has it right. That website is AWESOME for showing anti gunners just how much they've been lied to. I used it on my own brother-a former anti who now has a 45 auto he bought from me-to show him just how gullible he's been. And the word to use IS "GULLIBLE". Anyone that knows the meaning of the word hates to be referred to as that. It's the first word out of MY mouth to an anti. When you call them that, it SPURS them to begin finding out WHY you called them that. I tell them to go to the website, read it, but DON'T STOP THERE. DO THE RESEARCH AND CHECK THE FACTS.
It usually gets them out of the Matrix. They may still not like guns, but not for the reasons they now know are LIES.
BTW, whenever my brother visits from St. Louis, he insists we have our "shooting day" in the desert, and he even has a framed 8X10 of him shooting one of my ARs!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:50:04 PM EDT
Sent him the link.  Thanks DF.  Knowing him, this might just enlighten him to all the BS.  Everytime he has brought up something the gun controllers say, I have always refuted it with facts and he listens.  Now, he will be able to read the truth for himself and I think it will make a difference.

Now, if I could just undo my ex-wife's years of BS that my daughter was subjected to so she won't be so paranoid about me packing around my grandson and so I can bring him right when it comes to guns.[:D]  Alas, I don't think I am getting anywhere with that.
Top Top