Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2002 6:37:57 AM EDT
I know this has been discussed to death but I was just talking to a friend about nukes and NY and DC.

Living in the North East fallout would be a bigger concern to me then to many other living in the rest of the country.

Since the jet stream usually blows out of the north west I had always assumed that I would head that way to get away from the fallout.

My friend brought up two valid points.

1)  Do you actually think you will be able to drive anywhere, almost everywhere will be gridlocked.

2)  What happens if you are not with your wife or loved ones, do you have a meeting place?

Now I am ASSUMING if there were any type of NY nuclear attack it would be relatively low level and with the wind in my favor I would be fine at least short term.

So would staying home be the best bet and go into lock down?

The only other thing I was thinking of ws that odds are I would not be home *if*, *when*, anything happens.  I usually carry a pistol.  Do you keep more in your car?  Do you have your wife carry?

Thanks

And please don't get me wrong I'm not freaking out about all this but I'd like to have all the best info upfront to make quick and well thought out choice right away if need be.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1)  Do you actually think you will be able to drive anywhere, almost everywhere will be gridlocked.quote]

Motorcycles with knobby tires are a Good Thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]
You think about these things off and on...

For me, I think as long as there was no immediate danger, I would hunker down for a while until travel would be easier.  Then I would go down to with my family to my wife's grandmother's farm.  I guess it depends on what each situation is.

In terms of meeting up with my family, my wife only works 2 days outside of the house, so in general, I would just try to get home.

In terms of location of a terror strike, I think that a most devastating target in terms of both physical and psychological damage would be a big city in the midwest (Chicago, St. Louis, etc.) because of the commerce and the fact that they would be able to get so deep into the heart of the country.  I really hope that isn't the case, cause it would be bad news for me and mine.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Your surest bet is to know about it before hand. Perhaps even just 15 minutes faster then anyone else.  Chances are you nor I will encounter any such Warning.  So????  What the hell ya gonna do?!?!

Actually you might think about adopting a POST EVENT Escape and Evade theory on the matter.
In other words sit tight take your chances with distance and the other factors then before the shit starts settling down (which might take a few hours) Get out after the explosion, RIGHT AFTER.

But what the hell do I know???
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in Ohio so a blast in NY is vastly better than one in LA or Chicago, from my point of view.  For some reason, the morons have a thing about NY though.

If you are REAL close, your worries are over.  A little further out, you suffer a while THEN die.  Way out but down wind is survivable but you need to do your homework.  Travel is likely going to be impossible.  Trying to move can cost you your life as a car provides near zero fallout protection.  Time vs dose rate.

If you are truly concerned, and we all should be, look here:
[url]http://www.ki4u.com/free_book/s60p792.htm[/url]
this is a vast collection of very good info concerning radiation issues, not just the detector kit.  Click on the links.  MAy save your life or that of someone close to you, IF SHTF someday.

We would all wish to be together with our loved ones should the SHTF.  However, that is not always possible.  Have you taught them to survive alone?  Failure to take responsibility for INDIVIDUAL survival is likely to end in disaster.  Women are just as capable of taking care of themselves as men.  All they need is the proper mindset.

Children are more susceptable to radiation injury.  Additional shielding from fallout is required and / or less time of exposure.  If your family stays put in a high radiation area waiting for you, the kids will pay a high price.  It is all about time vs dose rate.

You can be sure that any information that the GOVERNMENT puts out (or the media) in such an event is likely to be wrong, inadequate or intentional misinformation to accomplish a goal OTHER than YOUR best interest!!  After the event it is too late to decide what to do or how to protect you and yours.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Stay.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read a study that claimed if just 5 million American's were killed in a biological attack it would be enough to destroy our economy and society.
View Quote

No offense, but that doesn't sound quite right. Think of all the unemployed right now, without whom society is functioning just fine, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
This sounds like a great topic for the survival forum:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=123[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read a study that claimed if just 5 million American's were killed in a biological attack it would be enough to destroy our economy and society.
View Quote

No offense, but that doesn't sound quite right. Think of all the unemployed right now, without whom society is functioning just fine, thank you very much.
View Quote

True, but we're not talking about killing 5 million unemployed people.  It would be like the 9-11 attack on a massive scale - an attack at a city, financial center, economic center.  The 5 million dead - and it might be in a couple different target areas - would be workers, the people who make the wheels turn.  Plus, the associated psychological and societal damage.  Look at the damage 9-11 did to the economy, with a few buildings destroyed and 3000 people killed.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#11]
GSTN-Depending on where you live, it's usually better to stay in your home/basement.  

-The types of nukes that the terrorists would likely get their hands on are low yield heroshima style atomic weapons.

-If a weapon is detonated in NYC, unless they're smart,  it will be activated on ground level which significantly reduces the damage radius and fallout structure.

Translation-if you're in Manhattan, get the fuck out if you can-if you're 30 miles out sit in your home and watch the news.

Having a meeting site and a call list is always a good idea for family or loved ones.  If you don't have that, I'd make one today.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#12]
the only thing keping Kali from a terrorist nuclear attack is ....BAYWATCH [:D]

assuming of course the terrorists have seen the show,

and the belief that pam anderson is still a virgin. [:P]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Let's just hope they don't try to set one off near Montezuma, Iowa. [shock]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#14]
oh no, NOT Brownells??!!

THOSE BASTARDS
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a unimog. Forget about traffic jams. Forget about roads. Forget about roadblocks. Just drive over everything ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top