Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 7:54:38 AM EST
Need to get a car from Dallas to LA 1st week of the new year.

Anyone recommend a good transport company?

Txs
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:20:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By chas_martel:
Need to get a car from Dallas to LA 1st week of the new year.

Anyone recommend a good transport company?

Txs
View Quote

I don't have a specific company for you, but you could find one with reviews here http://www.transportreviews.com/.

I spent a lot of time researching companies for an international move that never ended up happening, but the one thing I learned is there are very few good car transport companies and even fewer satisfied customers. It's more or less luck of the draw. I think one good national company I found was national car transport.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:10:35 PM EST
here's my post from a previous auto shipping thread:
I shipped a car from NC to Utah for $1350 a couple months ago.

The standard advice is to go to transportreviews.com and read reviews on the various brokers. However, after dealing with a couple different brokers with impeccable ratings on there, I'm pretty sure that site is chock full of shill reviews. Lots of high-pressure sales calls at all hours of the day. Lots of big promises. "Deposit" goes to the broker, and then you have to pay the trucker who actually delivers your car in cash when it shows up.

I initially tried using http://www.magiccarpetautotransport.com/. Got a quote that was competitive (~$1000), got the whole pitch about how it works, blah blah blah. A couple weeks go by, with them telling me not to worry about it, they'll find a driver, etc. It gets down to a week before we're moving--like moving for real, movers coming, wife and kids on the plane, gone for good. The magic carpet guy calls me up and tells me the only way they can get it there is for me to pay $1300 (30% more than quoted) and I've gotta commit right now. Even then, the best they coudl do was give me a 3-day window as to when it would get picked up, which at that point would have potentially overlapped with actual moving day. I was pissed, and that was the end of dealing with them. Still pisses me off.

I called up DAS (http://www.dasautoshippers.com/). Cost me $1350. Gave them my credit card number, was told a local driver would call the next day to schedule a pick up. DAS sends out a local tow company to pick the car up on a little flatbed, takes it to a "terminal" (I'm assuming a gravel parking lot somewhere), and it goes on a transporter from there. Same process in reverse at the other end--local tow company delivers the car. Door-to-door for real, no concerns about a big semi not being able to get close to your house. Process went exactly as promised. Car picked up in NC, magically appears in UT a couple weeks later right in their estimated delivery window, dirty, but no worse for wear. It was the more expensive option, but it just flat got done without any drama.

Of course, there's always u-ship.com and the chance of making it on the shipping wars TV show.
View Quote

tl;dr: used DAS, was happy
Top Top