PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
7/8/2020 3:01:36 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/26/2014 4:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 7:55:23 PM EDT by d_striker]
I'm about ready to hire some servers and cooks for a brewpub that I'm opening.

I'm creating my own job application for applicants to come fill out at our place.  I only have room for 4-5 employees to start and want to pick the ones with the best sense of logic.  

All the ones I know seem to be played out like the tiger/goat/lettuce dilemma, three prisoners buried with different color hats, two brothers at a fork in the road, etc.

ETA- I suppose it might be a little obscure, to those who've never worked in a restaurant, of why a little common sense/logic is critical in the restaurant biz. There seems to be quite a few people in this thread that equate common sense logic to genius which is just not the case.

In the middle of a rush when a server has 8 things going on simultaneously or a line cook's printer is spewing out orders incessantly, one quickly realizes that there are two types of people in this biz. Those that are constantly prioritizing, consolidating, and expediting their workload in a logical manner and those that just drown because they do not know how to logically solve the problem that is their workload.

IMO, efficiency is the purest form of common sense.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:54:47 PM EDT
Whats 1+1=?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:56:27 PM EDT
Yes or no, have you stopped beating your significant other?

Do you like gladiator movies?

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:57:35 PM EDT
you have an enclosed room.

you have a refrigerator running, with the door open.

does the room get warmer or cooler?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:59:36 PM EDT
If you're looking for some female servers, have her face the wall and stand next to it.

If her boobs touch the wall before her toes, she's got the job.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:00:26 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PooFire:

If you're looking for some female servers, have her face the wall and stand next to it.

View Quote

What if her gut touches at the same time as her boobs?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:00:57 PM EDT
How many quarters tall are you?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:01:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By V-Match:

you have an enclosed room.

you have a refrigerator running, with the door open.

does the room get warmer or cooler?
View Quote

Meh, too easy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:01:32 PM EDT
40 or 45
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:02:46 PM EDT
Plane goes down exactly on the border of Canada and the US.  Where do you bury the survivors?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:03:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DukeFan23:

Plane goes down exactly on the border of Canada and the US.  Where do you bury the survivors?
View Quote

Played out and too easy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:07:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By d_striker:

Played out and too easy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Played out and too easy.
Also, while most of us would agree that one shouldn't bury survivors, there's no reason, from a logical standpoint, that one couldn't.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:08:43 PM EDT
"if you were serving, or cooking food on an airplane that was placed on a treadmill, will you ever serve or cook food off the ground'?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:08:49 PM EDT
Who is buried in General Grant's tomb?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 5:09:44 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

You walk into the pub and see this:

1) two angry male customers squaring off yelling in each other's faces about to mix it up

2) full pitcher of beer spilled on the tile floor at the front door.

3) phone is ringing at bar

4) bartender cut his hand and is bleeding
Prioritize these in the order in which you'd deal with them and state what you would do for each and why.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:09:35 PM EDT

I'm creating my own job application for applicants to come fill out at our place.  I only have room for 4-5 employees to start and want to pick the ones with the best sense of logic.  

All the ones I know seem to be played out like the tiger/goat/lettuce dilemma, three prisoners buried with different color hats, two brothers at a fork in the road, etc.

View Quote

Da fuck?    What is this, a brewpub for Engineers?

You could give them a little logic problem related to beer or something.

"Regular A arrives every weeknight and has a pint of IPA.  Regular B comes every Friday and has three pints of stout.  Regular C attends three or four nights a week and will drink anything but stout..."

But really?  Logic for servers at a bar?  I'd think that would not be super high on the list of required skills...

etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:09:42 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Boobs must touch first.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 5:15:05 PM EDT by dcs12345]
How many "free" drinks are you going to give to your buddies per week?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:10:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

1) two angry male customers squaring off yelling in each other's faces about to mix it up

Prioritize these in the order in which you'd deal with them and state what you would do for each and why.

View Quote

What's the answer?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:11:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By armaborealis:

"Regular A arrives every weeknight and has a pint of IPA.  Regular B comes every Friday and has three pints of stout.  Regular C attends three or four nights a week and will drink anything but stout..."

But really?  Logic for servers at a bar?  I'd think that would not be super high on the list of required skills...

etc.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By armaborealis:

etc.

I can tell you've never worked in a restaurant.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:11:34 PM EDT
Who did you vote for?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:11:56 PM EDT

View Quote

Fall on the wet floor and shoot for a sick work comp claim.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:13:49 PM EDT

Boobs must touch first.
View All Quotes

Boobs must touch first.

Ok.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:16:00 PM EDT
Don't try to reinvent the wheel on this one.  You have enough problems.  Ask a few customer service scenarios, make sure they are positive people and will be advocates and future managers as your business grows.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:16:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NotAFudd:

Don't try to reinvent the wheel on this one.  You have enough problems.  Ask a few customer service scenarios, make sure they are positive people and will be advocates and future managers as your business grows.
View Quote

Wheel is not being reinvented.  

Customer service and processes can be taught.  Logic cannot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:19:02 PM EDT
FWIW OP, a lot of stupid people are really hard workers and loyal.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that I would not want to purposely seek out and hire intelligent people for a menial labor position as they will often get bored and fuck up

Speed
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:21:51 PM EDT
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dcs12345:

Boobs must touch first.

Ok.....
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/507/normastitz682801550a761.jpg

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:23:04 PM EDT
Get the game "The Incredible Machine" and watch them play.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:24:19 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Trust me you are, from a person who has helped launch a couple of successful places, as well as a few other major business ventures.  

Attitude, energy,   and willingness to learn and become better cannot be taught.  GM for our cleaning company was paid almost 200k last year and she has a ninth grade education, but an insatiable desire to make herself better and literally, you could burn her house down and she would make you think she is having the best day ever.  Asking a few common sense scenario based questions, I believe is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:25:56 PM EDT
You want to assess their ability to solve problems and the process they follow. I work in finance, one question I was asked for my first job was "if this room was filled with quarters and you stacked them all up, how tall would the stack be?" They told me to think out loud. I was young so I wanted to say "why does that matter?"

Young an get logic based questions off the mensa practice exam. Lots of book smart there.

http://www.mensa.org/workout
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:26:50 PM EDT

Trust me you are, from a person who has helped launch a couple of successful places, as well as a few other major business ventures.  

Attitude, energy,   and willingness to learn and become better cannot be taught.  GM for our cleaning company was paid almost 200k last year and she has a ninth grade education, but an insatiable desire to make herself better and literally, you could burn her house down and she would make you think she is having the best day ever.  Asking a few common sense scenario based questions, I believe is what you are looking for.
View All Quotes

I've already told you, that's not what I'm looking for.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:27:30 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Ding ding ding ding ding.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:27:45 PM EDT
How about just think up some simple, realistic scenarios that might occur at the workplace then present them as open ended questions?

That makes them actually have to think it through, and you get to see how they approach the problem rather than just provide a rote answer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:28:00 PM EDT

View Quote

Can you count change without a register/calculator?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:28:48 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Eject and blade at 45.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:30:15 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Fuck it, I am semi retired and can do whatever I want at 31 whenever I want, just passed 310 employees, but what the fuck do I know about this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:31:59 PM EDT
Your hiring cooks and servers, why the big hard on for logical geniuses?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 5:32:53 PM EDT by sq40]
If a soda costs 100% more than a candy bar, how many candy bars can you buy for the price of a soda?

(love to see the answers to that one..)
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:33:43 PM EDT

Fuck it, I am semi retired and can do whatever I want at 31 whenever I want, just passed 310 employees, but what the fuck do I know about this stuff.
View All Quotes

Good for you.  Seriously.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 5:34:53 PM EDT by speedracer422]

View Quote

I think that maybe subconsciously OP just likes drama and wants to staff his new venture with know-it-all smart asses who call off, disregard his orders, and tell him how he should be running his business
Above average intelligence is not a requirement for those positions...be careful what you wish for and all that.
Speed

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:34:42 PM EDT
A hundred prisoners are each locked in a room with three pirates, one of whom will walk the plank in the morning. Each prisoner has 10 bottles of wine, one of which has been poisoned; and each pirate has 12 coins, one of which is counterfeit and weighs either more or less than a genuine coin. In the room is a single switch, which the prisoner may either leave as it is, or flip. Before being led into the rooms, the prisoners are all made to wear either a red hat or a blue hat; they can see all the other prisoners' hats, but not their own. Meanwhile, a six-digit prime number of monkeys multiply until their digits reverse, then all have to get across a river using a canoe that can hold at most two monkeys at a time. But half the monkeys always lie and the other half always tell the truth. Given that the Nth prisoner knows that one of the monkeys doesn't know that a pirate doesn't know the product of two numbers between 1 and 100 without knowing that the N+1th prisoner has flipped the switch in his room or not after having determined which bottle of wine was poisoned and what colour his hat is, what is the solution to this puzzle?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:34:51 PM EDT

View All Quotes

Yes it can.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:35:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:35:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 5:35:44 PM EDT by d_striker]

View Quote

Who said anything about geniuses?  Having common sense/logic does not make one a genius.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:35:41 PM EDT
you are sitting in a rowboat floating in the middle of a large pool.

You have a large iron anchor in the boat, if you toss it overboard into the pool does the water level rise, fall, or stay the same?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:38:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By andrasik:

Yes it can.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By andrasik:

Yes it can.

Ok, perhaps I misspoke.  I do not WANT to spend my time teaching someone common sense.  I would rather spend my time teaching them customer service and product knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:40:47 PM EDT

View Quote

kinda curious about this one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:44:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:47:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2014 5:49:49 PM EDT by d_striker]

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

It sounds like you are looking for the kind of people who will not be applying for the kind of jobs you have.
View Quote

This is not my first rodeo.  Logic based questions on job applications have proved their value to me before in the same industry.

Perhaps your expectations or perception of a server's level of common sense is a little on the derogatory side?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:50:03 PM EDT

This is not my first rodeo.  Logic based questions on job applications have proved their value to me before in the same industry.

View All Quotes

It sounds like you are looking for the kind of people who will not be applying for the kind of jobs you have.

then use the same questions that have worked before.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:50:39 PM EDT

Perhaps your expectations or perception of a server's level of common sense is a little on the derogatory side?

View All Quotes

So here's a logic question, then:
If a person has had success with a procedure in the past, why would they seek to overhaul the procedure for no appreciable gain if the end-result is to be the same?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top