Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2007 12:23:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 12:25:52 PM EST by jkstexas2001]
I am getting a new system with a 256MB Nvidia Video card, so I will be able to play most, if not all, the high-end PC video games on the weekends.

I already plan on getting Half Life 2 and its sequel and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. What are some other good games that I can finally play?

My criterion:

First Person
Exciting
Smart, original story line
Well thought out design
Involves tactical thinking (not linear like some of the WWII games where you have to follow a clearly defined path)
Good replayability
Multiplayer is good not not my top consideration.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:25:18 PM EST
"Supreme Commander" followup to Total Annihilation is pretty cool
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:26:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 12:26:42 PM EST by Alien]
FEAR is good. FarCry is a little older but better and still looks great. Crysis should be out soon from the makers of FarCry.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:26:30 PM EST
Far Cry
Fear + Expansion
Brother in Arms, and Earned in Blood
Rainbow 6 Vegas
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:26:36 PM EST
If you like RPGs, Oblivion can definitely give your graphics card a workout.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:26:50 PM EST
this forum might help you out some more link
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:27:44 PM EST
256 Meg video card is hardly cutting edge stuff. I built my own system 6 months ago and even then 512 Megs was the "norm" for higher end gaming. Just an FYI.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:30:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 12:33:02 PM EST by Chokey]

Originally Posted By althor:
256 Meg video card is hardly cutting edge stuff. I built my own system 6 months ago and even then 512 Megs was the "norm" for higher end gaming. Just an FYI.

top end cards now have 768MB+ of memory, not to mention having 2 of them running in SLI
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:30:11 PM EST
Most of the FPS are truly "linear" in storyline so I doubt you're going to get a lot of games that meet that one.

What video card are you getting? Keep in mind just because you got 256MB of video RAM does not mean you can run the latest and greatest. It's all about the GPU. As an example, I was running a GeForce 7800GT in 2005 and still only could run FEAR at 800x600.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (non-linear)
FEAR
Far Cry (as mentioned above, the sequel is coming out soon)
Half Life 2
Quake 4

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:30:40 PM EST
Rainbow Six Vegas
F.E.A.R.
Brothers in Arms 2 (Great graphics, and lots of tactics)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:38:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 12:39:24 PM EST by BushmasterGuy77]
www.AmericasArmy.com: A Free Online First Person Shooter made by the US Army.

Company of Heroes: Probably the Best Real Time Strategy Game EVER made. World War two Based.

Battlefield 2, ONLY with Mods. Especially the Project Reality Mod. Otherwise, prepare to start tearing your hair out if you just buy plain BF2.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Is pretty good also (And Features ARFCOM's Official Camo ). A Futuristic Based Shooter.

World In Conflict will be out in Late 07 and looks like it might be a Winner.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:41:05 PM EST

I decided to split the investment between the video card and the processor - I also will have a dual-core duo processor in the system.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:41:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By BushmasterGuy77:

Company of Heroes: Probably the Best Real Time Strategy Game EVER made. World War two Based.

Battlefield 2, ONLY with Mods. Especially the Project Reality Mod. Otherwise, prepare to start tearing your hair out if you just buy plain BF2.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Is pretty good also (And Features ARFCOM's Official Camo ). A Futuristic Based Shooter.

www.worldinconflict.com/upload/assets/ss8.jpg

I did not play past the first mission in GRAW. I just couldn't get into it and I have played many many FPSs. The shitty checkpoint system was something I couldn't get past too. FarCry had a checkpoint system too but the game was so freaking good and looked so good I could overlook it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:42:13 PM EST

Its cutting edge when your previous video card had 32MB.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:44:44 PM EST
FEAR
Far Cry
Battlefield 2
Splinter Cell
Half Life 2
GTA: San Andreas
just a few off the top of my head

None of these are really recent, there haven't been many good games out recently. Splinter Cell: Double Agent was the last one I bought, it's great but buggy and poorly optimized for the PC (ShitBox 360 port).
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:47:36 PM EST
If you can't have play online, scratch replayability off the list.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:52:37 PM EST
Armed Assault, if your card can do it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:55:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 1:02:39 PM EST by ben72227]

Originally Posted By gck5150:
FEAR
Far Cry
Battlefield 2
Splinter Cell
Half Life 2

None of these are really recent, there haven't been many good games out recently. Splinter Cell: Double Agent was the last one I bought, it's great but buggy and poorly optimized for the PC (ShitBox 360 port).

+1; Crysis (Far Cry's 'sequel')will be out soon enough, Half Life 2: Episode 2 will be out, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl could be good and will be out soon, and then there's Rainbox Six: Vegas (I haven't played it on PC, but it was fun on the 360)

BTW, here's a Crysis gameplay video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzMdPwO2Qw
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:55:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Alien:

I did not play past the first mission in GRAW. I just couldn't get into it and I have played many many FPSs. The shitty checkpoint system was something I couldn't get past too. FarCry had a checkpoint system too but the game was so freaking good and looked so good I could overlook it.

I bought GRAW last month. I played it like three times total. Its nothing like the first ghost recon, I thought the game sucked so bad it was unplayable. Good thing I only blew twenty bucks on it. The multiplayer mode consists of being repeatedly spawn killed as long as you stay online.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:55:47 PM EST
Supreme Commander
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:55:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 1:00:33 PM EST by Mauser101]
Battlefield 2, running the Project Reality Mini-Mod.

Got all the good stuff from BF2 but cuts out a lot of the action arcadiness. Realistic ballistics are the primary draw. That an no enemy tags over their heads.

EDIT: Ofcourse Halflife 2...most especially because Resistance and Liberation will be coming out for it before too long.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:57:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By saturnstyl:

I bought GRAW last month. I played it like three times total. Its nothing like the first ghost recon, I thought the game sucked so bad it was unplayable. Good thing I only blew twenty bucks on it. The multiplayer mode consists of being repeatedly spawn killed as long as you stay online.

That's why you download the game and play it first then buy it if it's good. I have done this with many games. If the game is good enough to warrant buying, then I will.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:57:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By saturnstyl:

Are you serious? Well, the next one I hear is going to be better - you can save anywhere in the game. I hate those dang games (like GTA) where you can only save at certain spots in the game..
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:01:04 PM EST
in on supreme commander. game is off the HOOK.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:01:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

You must be running windows 95
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:05:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By rufusrufgut:

You must be running windows 95

No, XP. Money has previous gone toward other things. I decided to set some aside for a decent laptop that I can use for work and for play if I'm home on the weekend or stuck in a hotel room, since I no longer do the bar scene.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:09:53 PM EST
FEAR and FarCry: two of my favorites.

FEAR will startle you every once in a while. I am not normally "jumpy", but a couple of times while playing FEAR, a "dream" type sequence would happen and I would let out a burst of profanity that would make a sailor blush. Its a great game, in fact I will be getting the expansion pack this weekend. (I didnt know it was out).
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:11:22 PM EST
Once you get your FPS out of the way, you would probably like Operational Art of War III or Hearts or Iron II, or some other strategy/tactics game.

Man cannot live on eye candy alone!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:19:11 PM EST
#1 on all the top 10 lists:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2

straight out of 1998 and still kicking ass!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:26:12 PM EST
any real time strategy fans?

i played the crap out of command and conquer generals and im pre-ordered on CnC: 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:37:55 PM EST
I like them, two. Battlefront made a very good series set during World War II.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:40:13 PM EST
Half Life 2 would be a good game for you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:43:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By jthuang:
It's all about the GPU. As an example, I was running a GeForce 7800GT in 2005 and still only could run FEAR at 800x600.

Dude, I dont now what you were doing wrong, but I was running FEAR at 16x10 with all of the settings except for weapon detail and shadowing on medium and I was getting like 40FPS with my 7800GT.

Now, I just play Halo and Americas Army.

Halo is still one of the best shooters out there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:46:18 PM EST
This one has the following video card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500M with 256MB dedicated graphics memory
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:53:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tomislav:
If you like RPGs, Oblivion can definitely give your graphics card a workout.

Yup. This game with all the settings turned on will make MOST PCs cry.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:01:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By bh5505:

i played the crap out of command and conquer generals and im pre-ordered on CnC: 3

Supreme Commander FTW. Crushes my machine like an empty beer can, with everything maxed out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:39:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By MMcCall:

Originally Posted By bh5505:

Supreme Commander FTW. Crushes my machine like an empty beer can, with everything maxed out.

Supreme Rusher?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:43:23 PM EST
Operation Flashpoint
Armed Assault (U.S release in May)
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six 3
Ghost Recon 2
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Joint Operations
Delta Force: Black Hawk Down
Hostile Intent (Half-Life 1 mod)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:53:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 3:59:19 PM EST by toaster]

This one has the following video card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500M with 256MB dedicated graphics memory

Thats a workstation graphics card, geared more towards CAD applications rather than Direct X and open gl applications. You'd be better off with a 7800GT or better if gaming is what you wish to do with the pc.

ETA: I suspect any of the games mentioned will bring that Quadro to its knees.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:58:02 PM EST
Red Orchestra: Ostfront and Unreal Tournament 2004 are the only games I ever play anymore. Well, I don't really play them anymore, because my computer will randomly crash within 20 minutes of loading up any 3D game.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:58:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:27:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 4:29:16 PM EST by jkstexas2001]

Originally Posted By toaster:

Thats a workstation graphics card, geared more towards CAD applications rather than Direct X and open gl applications. You'd be better off with a 7800GT or better if gaming is what you wish to do with the pc.

Incorrect, my research indicates that it plays these games ONLY slightly slower - google "NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500M" games with this graphics card, and is only about 5 FPS slower than the GT in most cases . The thing is, I was able to get a laptop with a dual core 2 GHZ processor, a Nvidia card only slightly slower than the GT, with a 7200 RPM fast SATA 80 GB disk drive, 1 GB of RAM, 17 inch diagonal monitor for about 1000 dollars less than a dedicated "game" laptop with comparable performance, plus its more solidly built than the "Alienware" systems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:33:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 4:35:03 PM EST by lawdawg430]
The newest Call of Duty is cool, the older ones are full of cheaters.
Rainbow Six - Vegas
Oblivion, but it requires both graphics cards turned on.
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (retro).
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:39:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 4:49:09 PM EST by MillerSHO]
IMO the best games out for PC are the simbin racing lineup:

GTR 1
GTR 2
GT Legends
RACE:WTCC

Seriously get this wheel: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826128011
then download the logictec 4.6 drivers from there site and turn up the force feedback to 150% and get GTR 2 (american release comes with GT legends all for $30 bucks woot woot!) and then get RACE:WTCC after that(Like $150 or $20).

It's the real deal dood you will be loving it. You can turn on the assists when you first start playing to make it easy but as you start turning them off other then G forces its like the real thing. My heartrate is way above idle when I'm playing this game, its insane.

Here is the site for all of this stuff and more racing games: forum.rscnet.org/

If you have money to blow you can get this wheel: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104028
6 speed H gate shifter and a clutch

One more thing:
If you don't buy the new 8800 DX10 nvidia cards, make sure you buy nothing less then a 1950pro or 1950XT.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:41:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 4:44:50 PM EST by toaster]

Incorrect, my research indicates that it plays these games ONLY slightly slower - google "NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500M" games with this graphics card, and is only about 5 FPS slower than the GT in most cases . The thing is, I was able to get a laptop with a dual core 2 GHZ processor, a Nvidia card only slightly slower than the GT, with a 7200 RPM fast SATA 80 GB disk drive, 1 GB of RAM, 17 inch diagonal monitor for about 1000 dollars less than a dedicated "game" laptop with comparable performance, plus its more solidly built than the "Alienware" systems.

I did google it, and only saw reviews dealing with CAD apps, and the quadro has traditionally been a workstation card with poor performance in games. If your research says otherwise, then Nvidia must have revised the chips architecture recently, and I stand corrected..

In any event, good luck with it, and enjoy your new system.

On topic: Check out Joint Operations:Typhoon Rising in addition to the many great games already mentioned.

Have fun!

ETA: Nice laptop. I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:51:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 4:56:21 PM EST by jkstexas2001]

I did google it, and only saw reviews dealing with CAD apps, and the quadro has traditionally been a workstation card with poor performance in games. If your research says otherwise, then Nvidia must have revised the chips architecture recently, and I stand corrected..

In any event, good luck with it, and enjoy your new system.

On topic: Check out Joint Operations:Typhoon Rising in addition to the many great games already mentioned.

Have fun!

ETA: Nice laptop. I'm jealous.

Toaster, check your IM.

Thanks. I have been out of the loop gamewise for a few years. Here is the quote that was the clincher for me.

Don't listen to everyone here. The Quadro is just fine for gaming. I have only run across one game that did not work properly on my 1500M, and that was Ford Racing 3. It had a tendency to stall and stutter a lot for some reason, but I'm sure it could be hacked to run on a Quadro much more smoothly as this card is more than enough to handle it. Below are some benchmarks I did of my card:

3dmark05: 6413
3dmark06: 3926
F.E.A.R. at max settings (4xAA/16xAF at 1024res)
Min 15
Max 99
Avg 43
-during an intense firefight
Min 28
Max 125
Avg 57
-during walking around inside w/ some gunplay
Here are some benches for the Prey demo at Max settings 1280 res.
Min 15
Max 63
Avg 60
Quake 4
Min 28
Max 62
Avg 60

Quake 4 and Prey are both OpenGL based games and are capped at 60fps. Basically, the Quadro 1500M will perform as well at Direct3D games and better at OpenGL games (such as Quake, Prey, Doom) due to its OpenGL optimization. Those were stock settings out of the box, 60 processes running in the background, including antivirus and firewall.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=64095
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:12:22 PM EST
I hear Pong is pretty good.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:14:36 PM EST
I used to be into all the shooters, but I have come to realize that Real Time Strategy is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:19:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 5:21:38 PM EST by gordon_freeman]
3dMark06: 11,350

Core 2 Duo at 3.2 Ghz (stock 2.4 ghz)
Gigabyte DQ-6 mobo (one of the overclocking faves)
eVGA 8800 GTX
Soundblaster X-fi
Three Seagate 7200.10 hard drives

Top Ten Games to Blow your Mind Away

1. Half Life 2: Episode 1
2. Half Life 2
3. Sin Episodes: Emergence
4. Company of Heroes (amazing graphic. Best. Strategy Game. Ever.)
5. Prey
5. Supreme Commander (difficult to learn though)
6. Darwinia (Funnest. RTS. Ever.)
7. Rainbow 6: Vegas (will make most computers cry and beg for mercy)
8. Day of Defeat: Source
9. Doom 3

In order of preference obviously.

I personally like all the Steam games the most (Half Life series, Darwinia, Sin, Prey) because it's a nice little system they have.

Company of Heroes is a MUST BUY. Ditto to Darwinia (only $20!!!) I know you said FPS only, but come on dude, these games are worth your valuable time!

R6: Vegas is probably what you want the most. It's not as much running and gunning, but it's also got more action than previous Rainbow 6 games

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:22:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By dedfella:
"Supreme Commander" followup to Total Annihilation is pretty cool

i STILL play TA

got it free with a pentium II almost a decade ago
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:12:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By ben72227:

Originally Posted By gck5150:
FEAR
Far Cry
Battlefield 2
Splinter Cell
Half Life 2

+1; Crysis (Far Cry's 'sequel')will be out soon enough, Half Life 2: Episode 2 will be out, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl could be good and will be out soon, and then there's Rainbox Six: Vegas (I haven't played it on PC, but it was fun on the 360)

BTW, here's a Crysis gameplay video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzMdPwO2Qw

Crysis looks extremely impressive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top