Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:22:50 PM EDT
The safe is 40"Wx60"Hx28"D including the handles, it'll fit with room to spare but the thing is 1000lbs.
The stairs are concrete with carpet and it's a straight shot in through the back door.

I'm thinking I can build a strong ramp from the back of the pickup to the top of the stairs and let it slide down using strong rope and another vehicle to control the slide.

Anyone got any tips? The dealer will do it but they are not sure what they will charge above their normal $250 to get it on the first floor, they offered to come check it out and give me a price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Details of my 1000 lb Cannon safe delivery

Delivery day was fascinating.  The safe dealer was a family run business, and the father and two sons showed up in a standard panel van that had been modified with a I-beam running out the rear door along the roof and a manual winch system attached to it.  They used this to move the safe off the truck onto a plywood ramp going into my front door.  Once in the house, the safe was moved along protective cardboard using 2" diameter plastic roundstock bars.  Luckily we only had to go about 10 feet to the basement door, and there was adequate room to navigate into the doorway.  The safe was laid down and straps run around it.  The father got in the stairwell below the safe, and the two sons braced themselves at the top of the stairs with the straps wrapped around their waists.  One was sitting with his feet braced on the doorway.  (Note - this can leave shoe prints)  So with this, all 1000 lbs of safe was lowered into the basement.  From there, it was back to the plastic rollers and we moved it into position.

I helped some with the move, but I'm very glad I paid them the $100 for this.  It's not worth getting injured trying this yourself.  They then installed the handles, the goldenrod dehumidifier, and the shelves.  The Cannon already has a built-in base unit, so I didn't need a platform.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
push it off the top step. Gravity will do the rest.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Moral of the story is pay someone to do it.  Professionally.

We hired a moving company the only time we've moved it and its just not worth hurting yourself over or damaging the safe or anything/anyone else.

editted for clarity
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't even blink at $100 - I'd let them do it, I'm looking at other options @ $250 plus.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It really wasn't hard to do, of course I only helped a little...........

Just get some guys & equipment.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
push it off the top step. Gravity will do the rest.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Watch the "Italian Job"  then drill holes in the floor around your safe, place small explosive charges in said holes, detonate said charges in said holes.....

Now you just have to worry how to get it out of the basement  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me know how the install goes, so I can reverse the process once it's full of guns.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Let me know how the install goes, so I can reverse the process once it's full of guns.

Good luck getting that strong.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on paying movers... call around, you will find bonded movers that are willing to do it for a $100 bill....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
don't try to roll it
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy one of these or hire someone that uses one:

www.powermate.info/handtruck.htm#
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#13]
One of those handtrucks would be the ticket, but 1000lbs is still a 1000lbs.

I'm checking with some other movers, I still think I can do it with the help of 3-4 others and put my $$ towards more stuff to keep in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#14]
You don't need the handtruck.

It slides down the stairs easily.    Heck, as I recall, one guy was doing the lowering on the strap by himself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#15]
We rented a heavy duty handtruck to get my dad's safe down stairs.  It worked fine with three of us.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Call a rigger. They can move anything!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One of those handtrucks would be the ticket, but 1000lbs is still a 1000lbs.

I'm checking with some other movers, I still think I can do it with the help of 3-4 others and put my $$ towards more stuff to keep in the safe.

One person can do it with that handtruck. It's powered and actually very easy to use. The problem is - they likely cost more than the safe!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The safe is 40"Wx60"Hx28"D including the handles, it'll fit with room to spare but the thing is 1000lbs.
The stairs are concrete with carpet and it's a straight shot in through the back door.

I'm thinking I can build a strong ramp from the back of the pickup to the top of the stairs and let it slide down using strong rope and another vehicle to control the slide.

Anyone got any tips? The dealer will do it but they are not sure what they will charge above their normal $250 to get it on the first floor, they offered to come check it out and give me a price.

$250+ won't seem like much if you try to do it yourself and end up injured for life or dead.

I just paid $200 to have my safe moved (1st floor to 1st floor). I was curious and asked about how they handle 2nd story safe moves. He said they won't move a safe up or down stairs that weighs more than 800 lbs to a 2nd story or higher level. Possibly it was an equipment limitation for them and if you have the right equiptment, it's easier???
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Buy one of these or hire someone that uses one:

www.powermate.info/handtruck.htm#

The oil company that installed a furnace in my mother's house used one of these. Worked really well. Know anyone who works for an oil comany.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a big old commercial safe (Mosler double door) delivered to my house by the local towing company.  They loaded it on the rolloff flatbed and used the winch to lower it down the concrete steps into the basement.  I just had to put some long 2 x 4's down to make a ramp for it to slide down.  Once we got the safe to the bottom we stood it up (2 guys) and rolled into place in the basement.  I would imagine I could get it out the same way.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I want to see video of the "controlled slide "
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I knew a guy that moved a safe into his basement with a friend one evening.
A while later, the friend left.
Then his wife came down to see how it looked, and found him dead of a heart attack.
He was a cool older guy, too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Hire some mexicans...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Find another safe dealer. Mine not only moved the safe I bought from him into the basement of my new house, he also moved my old safe for me.

One 1300lb and the other 1100lb.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:24:13 AM EDT
[#25]
My safe company used a little thing that looked like a tank with a handtruck lip.  It actually has these really sticky rubber treads, and it just wheeled down the stairs.

No problems.

~$250 for the move in.

Well worth it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#26]
1) rent a hand truck

2) remove the door its the heaviest part

3) Get strong friends

4) strongest guy on the top

5) two others on the bottomside going down the stairs

6) move slowly counting the steps

I moved at least 30 safes..

T.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Tannerite.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
don't try to roll it

Yeah load it up with guns first before launching it down the stairway.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#29]
we use a bucket of old golf balls to roll them around on when I helped move my friends not much help on stairs but really worked good on the floor
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#30]
We did it ourselves, the controlled slide worked fine although I now think it was really just insurance because we pretty much controlled the slide by hand. Two men below the safe, one above, and one backing the truck.
We decided to use a trailer instead of the higher pickup truck bed.

Now I can use my $250+ for my SP1 build!!

Time to move the rest of the guns to their new and much more secure home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Told you that you could do it.

Your guns look LONELY in there.    
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the vote of confidence Fight4, they won't look lonely in a few days, most of the ones I currently have at home are all that's in that pic now, I'm not even gonna mention the number that will be moved from the other less secure location. I hope they all fit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Now, buy or build something like this:

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice, I was thinking I need to do something to maximize that upper shelf for handguns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Your Fucked!!!! Good luck dude and don't blow a nut
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Now, buy or build something like this:

I need one of those for my night-stand
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#37]
i put 2-3  2"X12"s   in the window at an angle and slid my safe down it... i can guarrenty it wont go out the same way, if at all.  it might stay at this house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top