Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 10:04:10 AM EDT
My parents bought my little brother a computer for Christmas.  It isn't a really fast machine (it has onboard video), so I decided that I'd get him a video card for his present from me.  Vid cards change so damn often I can't keep up, and though I bought a copy of PC gamers 'ultimate pc buyers hardware guide' it really isn't helping as most of the cards they look at are $300+.  I wanted to stay below $150, since I've already bought him a few other items and the wife is looking at me funny.  

So, does anyone know what the best low-end vid card is?  All suggestions and comments are welcome!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
6600GT

Those two would be about the lowest I would go, for considering any gameplay.

If you happen to hate your little brother, get him an ATI card
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure what card slot it has: PCI, AGP, or PCI Express.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
6600GT

ATI cards are IMO the best bang for the buck out there. I just picked up an ATI Radeon 850 Pro at Bestbuy for $220 bucks. The Nvidia version was about $140 more and I wouldn't get that much more for the money.

ATI is a great card. I just recently retired my 9700 Pro when I bought the 850 PRo.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
6600GT

ATI cards are IMO the best bang for the buck out there. I just picked up an ATI Radeon 850 Pro at Bestbuy for $220 bucks. The Nvidia version was about $140 more and I wouldn't get that much more for the money.

ATI is a great card. I just recently retired my 9700 Pro when I bought the 850 PRo.

The cards are fine.

The drivers are just pathetic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Ended up getting him the MSI 6600 GT.  $149.99 with free 2 day shipping.  And I checked the computer, it's a PCI slot... so I got lucky as I checked after I ordered it.  

Thanks for the help, guys.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
No Problem.

Thats a good card, it should serve him well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top