Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 8:23:33 AM EDT
Anybody here know anything about kitchen knives?

I want to buy one with about 5-6" blade and a second one with 7-8" blade.
I don't want to pay more than $100 for each or $200 for the pair.

What is the best model in this price range.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Being a former restaurant manager, I have seen everything used in the kitchen from the high end Hinckels(sp?)  to the low end disposable stuff.
I have found that a trip to the local restaurant supply store can give you some really good cutting tools
without a whole lot of dollars.  Some of the knives that I prefer are the ones that I bought there and are not the high end stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
JA Henkels, Wusthoff, Global  are the ones ive used all very good
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Henckels.  Get them at Target and they aren't very expensive.  They make some thin chef's knives that hold and edge extremely well.  Sharpen them on a diamond hone when necessary, the steel is very hard.  I do a lot of cooking and use the Henckels exclusively.  I use the 6" chef's knife and a short paring/general purpose blade the most.  I also have a set of carbon steel Old Hickory knives that can be purchased at WalMart or Ace Hardware.  These knives will rust, but they also sharpen easily and hold an edge well.  I just used them to cut up chicken this AM.

Lastly, you could find a restaurant supply store.  They have NSF certified HPDE handled knives that are very good, but pricey.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Very happy with my kershaw shun pro chef's knife. ~100 for the 8 in model, 110 for the 10 incher.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
da-da-damn!!!!!!!!!!  Best goddamn kitchen knives made...........but made by two of the biggest pieces of shit on this planet.   Made in France with German steel.  I was raised on them and Dad gave me a complete set when I got married in '84.

www.creativecookware.com/sabatier_knives.htm

Dave S

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
best ive seen (not german or french)

lots of top chefs are changing to these

www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/fha.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Cutco knife from a friend several years ago, and it is the best damned knife I have ever seen.  I've never needed to sharpen it (although they will sharpen it free forever), and it cuts through anything in the kitchen with ease.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Wusthof-Trident Classic series!  The BEST value for the dollar IMHO!

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Ginsu 10 Piece Knife Set $19.95 USD
Just kidding!

I've got a Wusthof-Trident Classic series for about 20 years. Costed me $75 at the now defunct Fedco, Pasadena Calif.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the Henckels 4 star.....love them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Wustoff-Tridents are great blades.  Can't go wrong there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I bought a Cutco knife from a friend several years ago, and it is the best damned knife I have ever seen.  I've never needed to sharpen it (although they will sharpen it free forever), and it cuts through anything in the kitchen with ease.

+1 for CutCo. My in-laws have had a set for something like 20 years and they have never sharpened them and they're as sharp as the day they bought them. I bought a complete set about 3 years ago and they're great.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Henkels. Get the ones that have the 2 men on the logo... Not the 1. those are the economy brand and they suck.

Wusthof. Also great. Although I cannot find them as easily as Henkels.

Global. Have heard nothing but good things about them HOWEVER I do not like metal handles. Just preference.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd go global....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'd go global....

It would be hard to get Global for the price he mentions, around here at least the Cook's Knives are about $150 each.  They are great knives though!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Lamson.  Full tang with high quality steel.  Shame Gerber quit making their "Balance Plus".  That is my set and very fine knives.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I got a Boker ceramic kitchen knife for my wife about 5 years ago. It wasn't cheap 50-75 range
but it never needs sharpened. We've been talking about picking up a couple more we like it so much

Just got to be aware that it is ceramic and therefor will chip or break if used improperly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Forschner/Victorinox

Decent. Cheap.

8" chef's knife

5" mini chef's knife

You can also pose this question at Knifeforums.com Kitchen Knife board

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd go global....

It would be hard to get Global for the price he mentions, around here at least the Cook's Knives are about $150 each.  They are great knives though!

If you do some searching online, you can find decent deals on Globals.  It's definitely at the top end of his budget, but WELL worth it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Henkels 5-star or pro-S.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Check out  Cold Steel's  "Kitchen Series"....K7 & K5.........7 & 5 inch

We use both sizes for years now and I've yet to sharpen them!!!

Prices $24.00 to $27.00

BTW ...They are serrated.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Lamson.  Full tang with high quality steel.  Shame Gerber quit making their "Balance Plus".  That is my set and very fine knives.

I second this recommendation... get the forged version.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#25]
HENCKELS, you won't regret it
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#26]
FDICK of Germany, Henckels, Wusthoff and inexpensive but easy to sharpen restaurant supply steel, all reside in my drawer. My cheap restaurant knife gets the most use and cuts superbly, it just needs to hit the steel and stone alot, 12".
My FDICK knives are thin and super well balanced, 8",10",12". They have their purpose. Complete set with many smaller pieces and other knives was $1200. Well worth the money. My Henkels are ok but sometimes I prefer the Wusthoffs, Both high $$$$ items.
Whatever you do, buy the knives with the type of tang that best suits your hand and cutting style. If you ride the tang all the time do not get one with a thin tang cause it will cut into your hand eventually. I have different knives for different jobs, just like my rifles.

Good luck and good shopping!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
on a budget the forschners are the way to go. Have heard good things about f.dick but haven't used/owned one. Ya want a good stainless blade, the Wustoffs are good-Messermeister also fits the bill at a lower price range. For a carbon blade nothing beats the french Sabatiers IMO. stay away from many of the premium knife manufacturers' low end knives, most are made in China-or elsewhere- under license to most all of the big names and are substandard in steel and finish.

Best advise, go to a knife store and get what feels right to you. German knives are different from French knives, are different from Japanese knives, and so on. Its all about personal preference. a c-note will buy you a very servicable kitchen blade that will outlive you if taken care of properly.
hth, danny
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
go to your local butcher and ask if he can get hook-eye knives
if not get forschner/victornox or chicago cutlery as a good substitute,
then spend the cash on a good stone set,
rest of the money can go towards ammo....
edited to add: a good 6" boning knife, should go for $5 to $10 and will last many years of kitchen duty, a 7-8" "breaking" knife will run $20ish
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Couldn't help myself.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Go with the CUTCO knives.

Made in the Good Ole USA in upstate NY.

A neighbor girl started selling them about 2 yrs ago and we were her first customers.  At first, I was only going to buy 1 or 2, just to get her started, but ended up buying 5.  Those damn knives will cut through anything that you can find in the kitchen and will stay sharp as shit.  I will never buy any other brand of knife for the kitchen.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top