Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/10/2010 1:27:46 PM EDT
Someone got access to my yahoo email account and sent out emails to random people, including my soon to be ex wife. There's no pattern to who they were sent to other than a couple friends, my dad and my soon to be ex. Here's the best part.

They changed my password and security questions. It took me a second to figure out and when I was trying to answer my security questions, I ended up locking my account for 12 hours.

My password was a decent one. Not an actual word or something easily guessed like a birthday. It's not written down anywhere and I only logged in using my laptop (that's in my possession) in the last two weeks. The strange thing is they waited until I was in transit from the US back to Afghanistan to do it. I didn't know until I called home to talk to my son and the ex answered the phone. I did post my departure date on this board and one other so maybe it could be someone I know personally or someone on the board.

How the hell did they do this? What do I do now?

I already started changing all my other passwords. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:35:28 PM EDT
Ex....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:48:59 PM EDT
That's what I figured but I can't say for sure. I am mostly curious as to how the individual did it and how to prevent it from happening again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:52:31 PM EDT
Don't use birthdates, anniversaries, pet names, personal info, usernames or QWERTY. Most people use these and anyone who has slight personal knowledge of you can get your password by just guessing. And if that fails then they can just ask for a password reset by using you security question which is usually pretty easy for someone who knows you to answer, thus changing your password. Use passwords with more than 7 letters and numbers with a combo of each. And when using security question change answer or make up one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:44:29 PM EDT
I didn't use any of those for my password. It was a made up series of numbers and letters. As for the security questions, they referred to things that are unlikely anyone knows of or could have figured out. I was wondering if she might have used a key logger thing. I'm not a computer guy so I have no idea how they work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:46:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mkgunz:
I didn't use any of those for my password. It was a made up series of numbers and letters. As for the security questions, they referred to things that are unlikely anyone knows of or could have figured out. I was wondering if she might have used a key logger thing. I'm not a computer guy so I have no idea how they work.

Back in high school, we had fun hacking the chick's yahoo email accounts by answering their security questions. A little sleuthing usually got to the right answer. I think this was back before it was a crime.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:17:50 PM EDT
I regained control of my account. Now the only problem is all my emails, contacts, etc were deleted. Now I have to figure out who bought what right before I left the US. I have the packages labeled but I'm waiting on payments. Fuck this shit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:19:36 PM EDT
If you really want to get down to who did it. You might be able to talk to the police or a lawyer to get some info from Yahoo. I am sure they have the IP's logged of who accessed the account

-d
Top Top