Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:40:19 PM EDT
We saw this this object to the left of the moon tonight and were wondering what it is.  It was not visibly moving relative to the moon so is is not an aircraft or Discovery.  Our WAG is that it's a planet.

Sorry about the fuzzy image.  I could not find my tripod in time.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Venus.

Pretty damn good picture!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the moon

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We saw this this object to the left of the moon tonight and were wondering what it is.  It was not visibly moving relative to the moon so is is not an aircraft or Discovery.  Our WAG is that it's a planet.

home.comcast.net/~fishkepr/MoonandObj.jpg

White and a full disk... maybe Jupiter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Maybe not. It's Venus.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe not. It's Venus.

This time of ywar, Venus is near the moon when it transits the horizon.

Also, that's not a disc - -  it's just out of focus.  Look at the Moon's lower limb . . .

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe not. It's Venus.

Disconnector

I knew I could count on you guys!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Disconnector

For the AK (the state, not the rifle ) crowd, you may be able to see the Moon eclipse Venus tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
It's the turkish flag

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm.......I would say its Nibaru.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
It's Venus. This sight it also said to be the origin of Islamic flags.

Origin of the Crescent and Star: a conjunction seen by Mohammed?

A commonly used symbol of Islam, the crescent and star, may represent a "conjunction of the moon and Venus [that] took place in the dawn sky of July 23, 610" according to Gerald S. Hawkins, author of Stonehenge Decoded (Ahmad 1992). Some believe this night exactly coincides with the night in which the Prophet [Muhammad] received his initial revelation from God. While it is true that this night is very close to the actual night of the first revelation, it is not certain that it is the exact one (Ahmad 1992). (Aggour 1995).
Aggour, Kareem S.1995 Creation, Cosmogony, and Astronomy in Islam.
Ahmad, I.D. 1992 Signs in the Heavens: A Muslim Astronomer's Perspective on Religion and Science. Write's Inc. - International, Maryland.
Kareem S Aggour 19 July 1995

This cannot be so. If you check the lunar calendar thoroughly, you will see that the conjunction happened on June 10 of the year 609. However, the influence of that was not related to the beginning of revelations. Muslims all around the world started using crescent after 1453. However, Ottomans were using the crescent even before that (Thomas W. Arnold, History of Islam, Sarajevo, 1989), simply because it was the symbol they inherited from previous tribal life in the early medieval period (1000-1100). The Byzantines started using the crescent around 610 on Tzar Heraklie's birthday. They saw the conjunction of Venus and Moon (Charles Dille, Pictures of Byzant, Sarajevo, 1927)...
Velidaga Jerlagic, 24 September 1998

From an article at a website called "At The Edge" is an article on The Black Stone, by Bob Trubshaw and he makes references to the possible origins of the Crescent moon and stars on many Muslim flag.

"Returning to the geometric significance of the Ka'bah, Professor Hawkins has argued that it is exceedingly accurately aligned on two heavenly phenomena. These are the cycles of the moon and the rising of Canopus, the brightest star after Sirius. In a thirteenth-century Arabic manuscript by Mohammed ibn Abi Bakr Al Farisi it is stated that the alignment is set up for the setting crescent moon - an ancient symbol of the virgin-goddess which still appears in the national flags of many Islamic nations. In some flags - Algeria, Mauritania, Tunisia and Turkey - the crescent is accompanied by a star, perhaps representing Canopus."

T Funari, 12 May 1997

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's Paki flag as well, sorry for the thread hijack, but soon as I saw the pic of the crescent moon and venus the Turkish flag lit up in my mind

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Also, that's not a disc - -  it's just out of focus.  Look at the Moon's lower limb . . .

Disconnector

The image is streaked slightly because I did not find my tripod in time.  In order to get the shot, I had to use a longer than normal exposure and the maximum optical zoom I had, 12X.  Even with stabilization it still came out streaked.  In fact, this was the best image of the four I took.

Still, it was good enough for ID purposes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#13]
At that attitude and declination its Alderaan.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
At that attitude and declination its Alderaan.

Well then, power up the Death Star....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#15]
My 6 year old astonomy buff brought it to my attention last night.  My son says is it's Venus.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#16]
cool i'll be looking for it, except it doesn't get dark here until about 2300
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top