Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 6:19:31 AM EDT
I need a cheap way to make alot of smoke for Halloween.

It will be outside it a large front yard in a safe roped off area, basically the front lawn turned into a grave yard.

Anyway, I can afford a smoke machine so I need a cheap way to do it.  I was thinking of adding charcoal and wood chips into this large iron "incense" burner I have.  Any other ideas?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
A little gas, a couple of tires...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Tires... Just pile them up and set on fire. All the smoke you want!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#3]
wet leaves, lighter fluid.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I  I was thinking of adding charcoal and wood chips into this large iron "incense" burner I have.  Any other ideas?

Sgtar15

this is gonna piss your neighbors off something fierce since it will stink.  Smoke machines are not that much dough!  think of it as an investment you can use every year!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#5]
dry ice. works every time. not sure how well on the outside of the house, but inside it works excellent.
Chris

Quoted:

It will be outside it a large front yard in a safe roped off area, basically the front lawn turned into a grave yard.

Anyway, I can afford a smoke machine so I need a cheap way to do it.  I was thinking of adding charcoal and wood chips into this large iron "incense" burner I have.  Any other ideas?

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
dry ice. works every time. not sure how well on the outside of the house, but inside it works excellent.
Chris

Quoted:

Sgtar15

+2

just don't mix it with water and screw the bottle top on and throw it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Dry ice works well as it will hug the ground during the right conditions.  Which is cool and creepy.  

A smoke machine will create a cloud of smoke that will go everywhere.  

If you use dry ice make sure that you use enough water at the right temp.  I have seen a block of dry ice freeze a pot of water solid.  

Dry ice will be harder to find in some areas.  You can get an attachement for a CO2 tank to make our own but they only make a few small chunks.  It is better to buy from a cryo plant.

Smoke machines are everywhere now.  I saw some at Walmart I think.  If not there then try Spencers at the mall.  

Doc

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
How To Make Non-Toxic Smoke or Fog
[Your Guide, Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.] From Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.,
Your Guide to Chemistry.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

While renting a smoke machine is a reliable option, here are fog instructions for the do-it-yourself types.

Difficulty: Average

Time Required: Instantaneous
Here's How:

1.   This is so easy! Add chunks of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) to hot water in a styrofoam or other insulated container.

2.   The fog will sink to the ground. You may use a fan on a low setting to move your 'smoke'.

3.   The water will cool, so you will need to refresh the hot water to maintain the effect.

4.   Room temperature matters - you will get the most fog in a cool room. Have fun!
Tips:

1. Dry ice is cold enough to give frostbite. Wear protective gloves when handling it.
  2. Larger chunks of dry ice will last longer than smaller ones.
  3. Be aware that extra carbon dioxide is being added to the air. Under some circumstances, this can present an asphyxiation hazard.
  4. Sometimes inexpensive dry ice machines are available, otherwise check party supply stores and shipping companies for availability.
  5. Keep dry ice away from childen, pets, and fools! Adult supervision is required.

What You Need:

* Dry Ice (Carbon Dioxide)
   * Hot Water
   * Insulated Container

More How To's from your Guide To Chemistry
Suggested Reading

Chemistry of Smoke Machines Carbon Dioxide Structure How Things Work Home Experiments Weird Science
Sponsored Links

DJ Lighting & EffectsNYC's Premier Pro Audio & DJ Center Chauvet, American DJ - Free Ship!www.CanalHiFi.com

Ultrasonic Mist MakerMake your own mystical fountains. In stock. Only $24.95.physlink.com/estore

Mist Maker, Hot new mistfogger w/Fantastic 16 mode lighting controller. Only $35.95 delivered.fountainsupplies.com

ProSound & Stage LightingHuge Selection of Pro DJ Gear 110% Low Price Guaranteewww.pssl.com

Halloween Mist MakerGet the Dry Ice Effect Using Tap Water at Smarthome.com! $29.99www.Smarthome.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Set your house on fire.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Dry Ice hands down!!!!

You'll need a LOT though
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#11]
where do I get Dry ice?

And what other options?

I have a few house hold "chemicals" but I want to be safe.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Set your house on fire.

Set your neighbor's house on fire. Less hassle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#13]
DRY ICE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
where do I get Dry ice?

And what other options?

Sgatr15

raleys
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#15]
This stuff burns good.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
where do I get Dry ice?

And what other options?

Sgatr15

raleys

Really??

Thanks NorCal!!!

Btw....if you get a call in for the Carmicheal Mercy Hospital area give me a heads up so I can clean up the mess before you guys get here.

Thanks

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#17]
37mm smoke grenades
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#18]
also try http://www.dryicedirectory.com/usa.htm
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#19]
My vote goes to using midgets with cigars.  Not only do you get smoke, you get the pleasent aroma of a fine hand-rolled maduro wafting in the air.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey Sarge,

you can get dry ice at a Burcher shop.  Make sure the water is warm when you put the block in it
and it will smoke big time
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
where do I get Dry ice?

And what other options?

Sgatr15

raleys

Really??

Thanks NorCal!!!

Btw....if you get a call in for the Carmicheal Mercy Hospital area give me a heads up so I can clean up the mess before you guys get here.

Thanks

Sgatr15

You can also get it  at Dry Ice locations. The store I used to get dry ice from on Howe is no longer in business.

CW
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#22]
has anyone suggest gas and old tires yet
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Rent the smoke machine and buy the liquid it uses.
Is there something that can be substituted?  Like maybe some king of sprayer?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#24]
hey sarge, IM frisco, he has a recipie for making your own hand rolled smoke grenades, they work very well.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
hey sarge, IM frisco, he has a recipie for making your own hand rolled smoke grenades, they work very well.

TXL

Thats kind of what I was looking for.....

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Smoke machine here rents for 22$ a day.

Other than that,  use a electric pesticide fogger and  cheap cooking oil.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#27]
We  took dry ice and put it in a blender...then threw all the chunks/pieces all over the shrub beds and in the yard. Turned the entire yard into an eery graveyard for about 2 hours. Nice effect. Just make sure the kids don't pick up the dry ice.

Hint: Scatter the dry ice so they cannot "see" it or pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I've heard bleach and brake fluid make alot of smoke when mixed.  Or was that bleach and steering fluid.....Haven't tryed it but they say it works
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Dry ice is pretty expensive.

I purchased a Fog F/X at K-mart a few years ago, I think it was $19.99 and the Fog Juice for it was $4.99 a quart. It works great. It does have to warm up and you only do small blasts but it lays a thick fog. It's also non-toxic.

Edit to add link:

Hmmmm...Guess it's climb in price. I bet it's much cheaper at Wally World or Mart of K. Here's a link.

www.frightshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FS1&Product_Code=FG0100
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
where do I get Dry ice?

And what other options?

Sgatr15

Amonia and bleach.

It won't be a very visible cloud, but it will sure be memorable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I've heard bleach and brake fluid make alot of smoke when mixed.  Or was that bleach and steering fluid.....Haven't tryed it but they say it works

If you put aluminum foil in bromine solution you get a foul reddish brown cloud.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
where do I get Dry ice?

And what other options?

Sgatr15

Amonia and bleach.

It won't be a very visible cloud, but it will sure be memorable.

I can see the little costumed bodies spread out in the lawn now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top