Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 5:33:48 AM EDT
How the hell do I dry out the interior of the vehicle?  

I've already soaked up all the standing water with towels, and wipped everything down with paper towels, but the seats, floor, and ceiling are saturated.

I'm already planning on putting Damp Rid desiccant packs in the car, but what else do you advise???

Thanks.    
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Go rent a carpet blower, the snail drum ones.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Dry it with fire?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Open all the doors and windows. Set up fans to blow into the car.

I did the samething last year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I think your question should be, how does the wife dry it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Strip the interior.  Seats, carpet, console, everything.  Use a wet/dry vac to get out as much water as you can.  Treat any exposed metal areas with Sheath or another water-displacing oil.  Give everything a day or two to air-dry and re-assemble.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Sell the wife and buy a new car.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]
A good wet/dry vac, or a rental carpet shampoo machine used for its extraction to reove what you can.

Park the car in full sunlight with the sunroof barely cracked. You want the interior to be as warm as possible, with the opportunity for the moist warm air to exit, but not so wide open that it doesn't get warm.

Drive around with the floor vents selected, fan high, temp highest, and only the rearmost exit opening cracked, whatever that may be.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Use a wet vac and vacuum it all out then use a dehumidifyer to dry it out. Damp Rid is useless for that qty. of water. Alternately you can run the heat/defroster with the A/C on at they same time and it will dehumidify it but it will take a long time. You need to dry it asap though to help reduce long term odor. It will take a few days worth of treatment to get all the moisture out. If you have a heated garage, park it inside and put a box fan or two inside or near the doors.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#9]
My ex did this once with her BMW.

I was in Miami, so my technique worked better than it will for you in NY: I left the doors, windows, and sunroof open all day. Heat dried the car out with no damage.

Thank God. Fucking BMW's are rediculously expensive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
get the wife an irish wedding ring
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#12]
If the jute under the carpet got wet, it will never dry unless you remove the interior, and carpet. Wet jute will grow some nasty smells. OTOH, you would be amazed how many cars are soaking wet under the carpet. I'd strip it down.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Strip the interior.  Seats, carpet, console, everything.

Yup.  Once the carpet gets wet, it'll always smell funny unless you remove it and air dry it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Strip the interior.  Seats, carpet, console, everything.  Use a wet/dry vac to get out as much water as you can.  Treat any exposed metal areas with Sheath or another water-displacing oil.  Give everything a day or two to air-dry and re-assemble.

As painful as this sounds, it is what really needs doing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
i also sprayed my interior with lysol cuz i was worried about mold...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#16]
"Honey, wanna take a walk through the woods this weekend?  No no no sweetie...I'm not mad about the car thing any more..."

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think your question should be, how does the wife dry it. hr

Or, how can I hide the wife's body???  ;)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably, but it's beyond my capabilities to do so. I think I'm going to have to get by with fans, a shop vac, and large desiccant buckets/packs.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Tannerite will help expose the damp areas for drying
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to sell cars.  Folks would ask if the sunroof/T-tops would leak. Without hesitation, I would respond "Never saw one that didn't leak."

Of course, I was referring to it leaking when closed.

Have you considered filing an insurance claim?  You are talking potentially a lot of damage.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#21]
It might be worth it to call a dealership about sticking it in the paint baking booth (or whatever they call it).

My old Lincoln got a leak in the passenger compartment and when it would rain water would drip in from behind the dashboard and soak the interior carpet. First thing the dealership did when I brought it in was stick in "the oven" for 12 hours to dry out the interior. Might be worth a call.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Has the wife regained consciousness yet?  If so, send her out for the blower.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Its a new car. Have it professionally done. Claim it on insurance. Dont do a second rate job.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Drive, turn on A/C, turn the heat to high, crack the sunroof and windows - repeat.

If it smells funny later on.............. take it to the car wash, get it shampoo'ed and have them add the strongest pimp spray they have.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#26]
No amount of vacuming will "dry" up your carpets IMO. You have no other recourse but to STRIP off the seats and carpet to have it aired and  dry outside. Letting it "dry" inside will only achieve to have your car smelling like an old wet sock (TRUST ME ON THIS) forever and may also result in rusted floorboards!

That sucks man! But hey ... don't be too hard on the wifey .... it's just one of those days.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Damn... took the words right out of my mouth. Women... is there anything they can't f*ck up?

I'd go in this order:
- Soak up what you can with paper towels or better one of those Shammy (chamois) cloths.
- Wet-n-Dry vac
- Close windows, park in sun, run heater at high with a window slightly cracked.

I take it the seats aren't leather/pleather/vinyl?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn... took the words right out of my mouth. Women... is there anything they can't f*ck up?

I'd go in this order:
- Soak up what you can with paper towels or better one of those Shammy (chamois) cloths.
- Wet-n-Dry vac
- Close windows, park in sun, run heater at high with a window slightly cracked.

I take it the seats aren't leather/pleather/vinyl?

No, they are not.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably, but it's beyond my capabilities to do so. I think I'm going to have to get by with fans, a shop vac, and large desiccant buckets/packs.  

I hear you ... but it's going to leave a funky smell ....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top