Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/27/2004 5:48:09 PM EST
There is a thread about military absentee voting on FA.com, a member there called Marine8541 stated that there is a system in place in Iraq where DOD has made agreements with the various states to allow electronic voting. He claims that electronic terminals are available where a person can vote remotely and that paper mail in absentee ballots are no longer necessary.

Is this true? Seems unlikely to me.

http://www.full-auto.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=003410#000008

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:53:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2004 5:55:54 PM EST by Combat_Jack]
Its true.

ETA: I am not a serviceman, but I read about this in the paper.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:01:21 PM EST
Slightly off topic but I dont see the point in starting a whole new thread. Was talking to my sister tonight who is stationed at Fort Drumm. She admits to not paying any attention to the news untill she was getting ready for the Soldier of the Month board and was told current events will be discussed. She was shocked to learn it was such a tight race between Kerry and Bush. Almost everyone on base is for Bush and she never realized civilians dont feel the same way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:50:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 9:01:19 PM EST by Hoplite]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:07:16 PM EST
Hoplite, this is fairly widely reported back here. Apparently not everybody over there is doing it that way. You'll notice I included in my post the qualifier that I am not over there, and where I got the information. If a person could only speak of things they had seen in person, there would be no understanding of anything that occurred a little over a hundred years ago, and you would not have even heard of the civil war.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:09:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By Rabid_Coyote:
Need FACT CHECK from members currently deployed in Iraq

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Hoplite, this is fairly widely reported back here. Apparently not everybody over there is doing it that way. You'll notice I included in my post the qualifier that I am not over there, and where I got the information. If a person could only speak of things they had seen in person, there would be no understanding of anything that occurred a little over a hundred years ago, and you would not have even heard of the civil war.

I guess you don't read too well?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:13:22 PM EST
Hence the disclaimer. I read just fine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:57:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:05:47 AM EST
It's all good Hoplite. I understand why you'd be quite frustrated. You stay safe, and tell us how it really is when you can.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:53:01 AM EST
Here's what the person in that thread on FA.com is probably talking about:

Use electronic voting as 'last resort,' official says

There have been reminders to vote published and aired for months over here in the military newspapers (including the one I edit) and on the American Forces Radio and Television Service.

Each unit is supposed to have a voting assistance officer who can answer questions service members have about getting ballots and voting -- not about who to vote for but about the process. Voting by service members is covered by the Uniformed and Overseas Absentee Voting Act.

Problems like Hoplite had (I had a similar one) do crop up, but there are ways to deal with those problems, as well.

Regards,
Chris
Baghdad
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:53:37 AM EST
Thanks guys.

I'm not currentlt deployed, but I've been deployed enough to know that this didn't pass the smell test.
Top Top