Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 6:57:56 PM EDT

I have some kind of ear infection. It started on Friday night. My left ear sorta hurt a little. By Saturday night my ear hurt pretty bad, but 3 aspirin made the pain barley noticeable. I have times when it hurts so bad I groan in pain. Now I can barley hear out of my ear, & when I put my teeth together the pain is intensified.
I have no money right now due to my wife's leaving me, & taking all the money with her. I have had a tooth that hurts on & off every few day for a few weeks on my right upper back molar. My mom thinks my ear problem is from the tooth ache. I don't as it's on the opposite side of my face.
Anyway, what should I do, short of seeing a Dr. I cant' pay for right now?
I'm dead broke, & all my money since my wife left me has gone to pay up the bills, as she had not payed them for 2 months so she could take all the income we made with her. So going to the Dr is pretty much out of the question. What can I do to help myself beside keep taking Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the ER. Pay the bill in $5 increments.
It beats the living crap out of blowing out an ear drum, or going septic from a dental abcess. I'm dead serious.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the ER. You may have an abcese. An infection in your tooth may have spread to your ear. It isn't anything to screw with. The ER will work out a payment plan with you, you could lose your hearing or the infection could spread to your brain. Seriously, read an article where a guy died from an infection that resulted from him plucking his nose hairs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
How about the county health dept?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Go to the ER. You may have an abcese. An infection in your tooth may have spread to your ear. It isn't anything to screw with. The ER will work out a payment plan with you, you could lose your hearing or the infection could spread to your brain. Seriously, read an article where a guy died from an infection that resulted from him plucking his nose hairs.

I've done that on occasion.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Going to the ER is going to cost you an arm and a leg and you will wait forever. You could find a decent walkin clinic somewhere and pay about 15% of an er visit.

The differential diagnosis in your case is:

1)Otitis externa(swimmers ear)--need antibiotic/steroid drops for the ear. Oral antibiotics are not very effective. They are expensive. Sometimes a vinegar or vinegar and alcohol solution can help.

2)Otitis media(middle ear infection)--requires antibiotics. Could get by with some cheap amoxicillin possibly.

3)dental decay. Believe it or not it may have possibly set you up for an ear infection.

4)Others--unlikely given your story but include cerumen impaction, TMJ Syndrome.

the difficulty is in determining treatment based on lack of diagnosis as you can see.

Have you been ill? Cold, etc.
Been swimming or having problems with water getting in the ear during bathing, etc?
Ear wax build up?

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You died from plucking your nose hair?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Alot of people's noses are colonized with Staph. Further there are not valves to prevent backflow in the cranial venous system. This has apparently led to rare cases of meningitis.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Going to the ER is going to cost you an arm and a leg and you will wait forever. You could find a decent walkin clinic somewhere and pay about 15% of an er visit.

1)Otitis externa(swimmers ear)--need antibiotic/steroid drops for the ear. Oral antibiotics are not very effective. They are expensive. Sometimes a vinegar or vinegar and alcohol solution can help.

2)Otitis media(middle ear infection)--requires antibiotics. Could get by with some cheap amoxicillin possibly.

3)dental decay. Believe it or not it may have possibly set you up for an ear infection.

4)Others--unlikely given your story but include cerumen impaction, TMJ Syndrome.

the difficulty is in determining treatment based on lack of diagnosis as you can see.

Been swimming or having problems with water getting in the ear during bathing, etc?
Ear wax build up?

I haven't been ill, but the window on my driverside door is stuck down. It rained last week, & I was driving home from work at 70 miles per hr in the rain as it whipped across the right side of my head.
I keep my ears real clean, & don't have an ear wax problem.
My tooth ache is on the right side the ear ache is on the left side. I barrowed my mom's ear drops.Otocort Sterile suspension is what the bottle says. I started using it yesterday afternoon, but I haven't noticed it helping at all yet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Focus! Focus!

Apparently, your problem includes ADHD.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Focus! Focus!

Apparently, your problem includes ADHD.

Just remember, A happy heart(laughter) does good like  medicine!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Immediately do what the good doctor suggests and go to a walk-in clinic / urgent care facility.  If none is available, you need to to to an Emergency Room.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to be at work in 1/2 hr. Then go home get my 7 yr old ready for school, then I will go see a Dr. & beg for help, & mercy. One more reason to hate what she did to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ear wax build up?

I haven't been ill, but the window on my driverside door is stuck down. It rained last week, & I was driving home from work at 70 miles per hr in the rain as it whipped across the right side of my head.
I keep my ears real clean, & don't have an ear wax problem.
My tooth ache is on the right side the ear ache is on the left side. I barrowed my mom's ear drops.Otocort Sterile suspension is what the bottle says. I started using it yesterday afternoon, but I haven't noticed it helping at all yet.

Well, I'd favor a diagnosis of otitis externa which is typically due to long term water exposure for the ear canal. Oftentimes wax buildup puts you at greater risk sa it damns the water. If you are using Qtips to clean your ear you should stop BTW. Anyway, the water exposure you had would lead me to that.
However, the otocort which is for swimmer's ear(good try Mom) isn't helping. Not sure what that means but it isn't my first choice. Some people have fungus in their ear...yada, yada, yada....Vinegar drops would work better for that....

Lots of useles info, I'm sure but it'd be nice if something stood out about this other than the water exposure.  
That was on the left side, correct?
Occassionally, the ear canal has swollen shut and the drops are not getting in. If so, it takes some effort or the placement of an ear wick(small sponge) in the ear.

Not sure I'm much of help.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm off to work now, & I will do my best to see a Dr. in the morning, & I will try viniger tonight at work. Thanks Doc
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
If you were here I'd take care of you for free and give you samples. Hope you feel better.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

...I got better...

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Drjarhead, you forgot the roaches!  We had a homeless lady come in with an earache.  Looked in there and shit, there was a roach in there.  Looking for something to eat I guess.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Most likely Otitis Externa.  If the drops aren't helping, it is likely due to the ear canal being too swollen to allow them to get in deep enough.  Successful treatment of OE includes debridement (scraping) of the ear canal and then putting in a wick to get the drops where they need to go.  If that is the Dx in the am, make sure they do that.  Many MDs either don't know or don't feel like going the extra mile and doing it; but it is necessary.  +1 to no Q-tips in the ear.

Edited to add:  Whenever a little kid comes in the ER screaming at 4am, they've got a bug in their ear.  Drives them NUTS.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Drjarhead, you forgot the roaches!  We had a homeless lady come in with an earache.  Looked in there and shit, there was a roach in there.  Looking for something to eat I guess.

Arrghhhh! I got a fly out of a kid's ear week before last. No cockroaches yet though.

My favorite is a lady who came in complaining that everything sounded funny. Okay, I'm thinking, "oh boy, here we go again..."
But after I examine her and ask her a question she tells me everything sounds like it has a "sproing". LMAO. Some door to door saleswoman sold her a special spring for her hearing aid to make it work better. It fell out and was wedged between her ear canal and eardrum. Very tiny and I could barely see the edge of it in the corner of her ear. One flush...all gone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
IMPORTANT: Before you do anything, check your asshole for blunt, beer-bottle trauma

I've heard that it has been linked to acute ear pain!!

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL, thats a new one.  I had a 5 yo girl come in and has stuffed some hair beads up her nose!  I dont know why kids are fascinated about putting things in their ears and noses.  But drop of CA glue on a Q tip and got the suckers out!  That spring would be kind of cool to get.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LOL, thats a new one.  I had a 5 yo girl come in and has stuffed some hair beads up her nose!  I dont know why kids are fascinated about putting things in their ears and noses.  But drop of CA glue on a Q tip and got the suckers out!  That spring would be kind of cool to get.  

My sister used to that all the time. Drove my Dad up the wall. Now that you mention it I haven't had one of those for awhile and we usually have more of that in the summer, it seems. I thought you did Ob/Gyn?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I do, but we did ER duty as residents, a few months out of the year.  We also had a few elective months, I would usually choose ER or Family.  I figured that would help me out in the office.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Check this out, my ear canals (and auditory tubes as well) are congenitally smaller than usual (no problems with hearing really, mostly just equalization in airplanes and when SCUBA diving) ...  anyway I tend to have to get my ears get totally occluded with cerumen once , MAYBE twice a year

So my ole dad has to blast them out with those baby syringes .. man have we gotten some AMAZING specimens .. thick around as a pencil and hard as a rock, some of 'em.  half an inch long
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Check this out, my ear canals (and auditory tubes as well) are congenitally smaller than usual (no problems with hearing really, mostly just equalization in airplanes and when SCUBA diving) ...  anyway I tend to have to get my ears get totally occluded with cerumen once , MAYBE twice a year

So my ole dad has to blast them out with those baby syringes .. man have we gotten some AMAZING specimens .. thick around as a pencil and hard as a rock, some of 'em.  half an inch long

I had an old guy in some time ago. Both ears had an amount of wax equal to most of my little finger. I couldn't beleive it. Looked in his ear canal again. Looked like everyone elses I see....Still don't know how it all fit in there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I bet he complained about all the noise after your took the things out!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Sounds like external otitis to me. Don't go to the ER.  They will give you oral antibiotics and maybe ear drops.  Usually you don't need the oral antibiotic.  Cleaning and ototopical drops.    You need to see an ENT doc so you can have your ear cleaned out with a small suction under an operating microscope, followed by 5-10 days of an antibotic/steroid drop such as Ciprodex.  That will be your quickest way to feeling better.  Call around an shop for a cash price.  Tell the office you think you have external otitis and what will it cost to see the doc and have your ear suctioned out.  If he seems like a nice guy, explain your predicament and ask for some samples.  Also, if you have to go to the drug store, call around for the best price.  I have seen prices vary $30-50 for the same drug.  Ear drops are expensive.  Generics start at about $30 bucks a bottle and the latest, greatest go for about $100.

good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I bet he complained about all the noise after your took the things out!

he actually covered his ears when I first talked to him and I had to tone it down quite a bit. Beforehand I was raising my voice pretty good so he could hear me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Well,...I can hear out of my left ear again, & the Dr said it was what ya'll dianosed it as. He didn't do the cleaning of my ear cananl, just gave me a perscription for some drops, & a bottle of antibiotics he had on hand. The drops in the generic form cost me $30.00, & the visit was $66.00. So it ended up costing me just shy of $100 bucks. The money I spent was supposed to cover my mortgage payment due on the 15th of this month. I will figure out some way to cover it. All's I know is the pain is subsiding, & I can hear a little bit out of my ear again.
Thanks for the encouragement to see a Dr. everyone. I think it was worth it, for the pain aspect alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top