Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2004 5:34:49 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replies from round 1 of my asking for a dove gun.  My budget has been raised to the $500 range.  I'm looking for an early season dove/quail gun.  I am real short and need a length of pull in the 12.75 inch range.

The Rem.  870 youths all have 21-23 inch barrels, at least the ones in stock around here.  What about a Baretta or Rem autoloader or even a double?  Any other choices I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Edited to add:

Any sites I should look into?  My searching has lead me to some very hard to navigate sites.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#1]
For about $530, you can get a new Beretta 390 12 gauge at Wal-Mart or Academy in my area (Baton Rouge, La).  The only problem is that they have a 14.25"  LOP and an impossible to cut down synthetic stock.  Beretta makes 20 gauge 391 Urika youth models.  However, they are well over the $500 mark unless you find one used.  I would also recommend a Winchester Model 12.  The Model 12 is a great (if not the best) pump gun.  The Remington 870 is another option.  The stock on either of these pump guns could be easily shortened and a recoil pad installed, if necessary.  I've not handled one yet; but, Spartan by Remington offers an O/U for under $500.  Academy has the Spartan 12 gauge O/U for $489. On the subject of Remington, if you get an 870, buy the Wingmaster instead of the Express.  The wood and metal are much nicer on the Wingmaster models.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll look into these.  Andy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Benelli makes a youth model NOVA in 12 or 20.Great gun and incredibly tough.I have literally beat the shit out of mine and it has never let me down.

You can get a camo model for about $350
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
check out auctionarms.com. I bought 2 16 ga side by side shotguns last year. Great for dove and quail!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]
an awesome light 12 guage is an ithaca, If you need a little less kick get it in 16 guage. If you want an autoloader get a frainchi or beretta. We only killed 365 dove last season on opening day. We have a big hunt with about 30 people.. most people use beretta or franchis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top