here ya go..old pic of the wifey at our local range

some better pics here
illinois HTF thread
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Only one I have.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate the concrete ones they always are horrible to shoot from LH and most seem uncomfortable to shoot from RH also unless you sit at the back like on the picture but then why even have the cutout side areas.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hate the concrete ones they always are horrible to shoot from LH and most seem uncomfortable to shoot from RH also unless you sit at the back like on the picture but then why even have the cutout side areas.

T
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a thread here, probably a year ago of a member building his own forms and making some out of concrete. I'll see if I can find it in the archives.

ETA: found it, little more than a year ago though

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=230395

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Do yourself a favor, and buy some treated lumber.  Concrete is the most uncomfortable and worst bench to shoot from IMO, and really doesn't last any longer than what treated will exposed to the weather and the winter.  Plus treated lumber is cheaper I bet than the concrete route.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
forgot to mention if you uce concrete it can/will become rough and can scratch stocks..the one in the above pic has gouged my laminated 10/22 stock....
I would go with a treated wood top or cover the concrete with a mat or indoor/outdoor carpet
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
For the last few years I've used a home-built bench designed for right-handed shooters that features four (4) treated 6x6 posts for legs and a carpet covered plywood top.  Add about three sand bags for a rest and the thing is unusually steady.  But, I have been thinking seriously of building a concrete bench so I am going to study this thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Blood trail?  
I vaguely remember that thread.  Did you ever find out what happened?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor, and buy some treated lumber.  Concrete is the most uncomfortable and worst bench to shoot from IMO, and really doesn't last any longer than what treated will exposed to the weather and the winter.  Plus treated lumber is cheaper I bet than the concrete route.

I have to agree, but durabilty of a treated bench will depend upon the fasteners more than anything. (Think Stainless steel bolts, nuts,flat washers  and lock washers.) No nails. No screws. Correctly-sized, pre-drilled and counterbored SS hex head and/or carriage bolts.

I've shot on a lot of different benches, and my least favorite are the concrete ones.

If you must go concrete, at least fit the top with a 3/4" thick rubber cow mat.or something similar.

The seat/stool is at least as important and needs to be thought out as carefully as the bench itself. Solid, comfortable, FULLY adjustable, etc. You get the idea...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Blood trail?  
I vaguely remember that thread.  Did you ever find out what happened?

Dude blew up his gun, double charge black powder.
Not really clear on details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top