Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2013 7:48:52 AM EDT
Hey guys I came across a good deal on craigslist on a 2005 250r. The guy said he bought it with no engine then put in a engine with 3000 miles on it and rebuilt it. Rebuilt engine has 200 miles on it. He has a title for it, the only problem is he said it needs some carburetor work. The floats need to be replaced according to him.

I have never worked on a carb before but I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have installed a lift on my jeep and opened the transfer case up to install a SYE. He is asking 900 for it and is pretty firm. Would this be a good buy or not?

I already have a 2009 650r so this would be mainly a fun/track bike. I would also like to teach my girlfriend to ride on it. Opinions?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Seems like a fair price to me.

It more than likely has a needle and seat not sealing causing the carb to flood over. I've also had a couple that had the idle jets plug up after sitting around for a year or two with old fuel in them.

Worst case scenario is you'll need a carb kit w/ at least an idle jet, needle and seat and necessary gaskets and seals. Pretty simple to rebuild really.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
How much does the carb kit run?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Do a quick search...It would be easier with the exact model and carb type used.

I'm guessing about $40 through various vendors, OEM will most likely cost more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
cheap and easy repair assuming everything is on the up and up.  check to see if it has a salvage title, that is probably why the price is so low honestly.  And unless he has any way to verify the miles on the new engine (as in a Bill of Sale for it stating the ODO when shipped) I would question what he's saying.  Figure in that you'll want to check the valves anyways just to be safe too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I've NEVER had to install a "carb kit" in a motorcycle... One carb on a 250R, pull it off, take it apart, including the brass tube the mainjet holds in (emulsion tube) and clean everything good. If you need to push something thru the jets to clear them, use monofilament fishing line, so you don't scratch the brass.....  Shouldn't take more than a couple hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top