Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 7:51:32 AM EDT
Looking to buy a used Ford F250 or F350, w/ a diesel engine, and preferably 4WD.

Would like to hear from anyone who might have experience with them. Good points, bad points, recommended options, options to pass on, etc.

Impressions of the powerplant? How many miles are acceptable. Best year ranges, blah, blah, blah.

Pretty much any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know too much about the ford line, I'm a Cummins man, but avoid the 6.0 power stroke like the fucking plague.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I don't know too much about the ford line, I'm a Cummins man, but avoid the 6.0 power stroke like the fucking plague.
That tid bit made it to the Dodge world, so you know there are problems.

Find a good 7.3 is what most will tell you.  The mileage isn't that of the newer engines, but it can put more miles on it with less part replacements.  There were still some 7.3L engines going into the 2003 models.  If you find one with 4.10 gearing you can put 35 inch tires on it and get somewhere around 20-24 MPG highway though.  

Theres a good many threads on this over the past couple months, with almost the exact same question.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#3]
There's nothing wrong with the 6.0L Ford trucks.

It's all in how you care for them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2004 6.0.  So far this last year, $2,500 for work on the engine and the transmission is in pretty bad shape.  It always takes about a good 5 seconds to go in and out of gear.  Sometimes it slips out of reverse.  It only has 72,000 on it and has never really pulled anything.  The motor has no power compaired to other engines and it gets about 10 to 11 mpg around town.  I would say do not go with anything that has a 6.0 in it.  Other than that, I love the way it drives, love the intieror, love the look.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a 2004 6.0.  So far this last year, $2,500 for work on the engine and the transmission is in pretty bad shape.  It always takes about a good 5 seconds to go in and out of gear.  Sometimes it slips out of reverse.  It only has 72,000 on it and has never really pulled anything.  The motor has no power compaired to other engines and it gets about 10 to 11 mpg around town.  I would say do not go with anything that has a 6.0 in it.  Other than that, I love the way it drives, love the intieror, love the look.

Sounds like you got a bad motor. I have a 2005 6.0 and it gets 17 mpg. Runs like a sport car too.375 HP and 575 ft/lbs of torque.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think you are in the minority on this one, out of the few people I know that have owned the 6.0, nothing BUT problems, all from the factory too, not for lack of taking care of them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#7]
First off - thanks for the replies, everyone. KEEP 'EM COMING! The missus has a hair up her ass to buy a truck - possibly this weekend - and I don't want us getting into something we'll regret!

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you got a bad motor. I have a 2005 6.0 and it gets 17 mpg. Runs like a sport car too.375 HP and 575 ft/lbs of torque.

I've been reading that the 2003-2004s were plagued w/ problems, but the engine was revamped in 2005?
Anyone having or know of alot of problems w/ 2005 & up 6.0s?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I own an F250 4x4 with the 6.0 PSD.  The truck is stock and has the 6 speed manual transmission.  No issues with the engine since I bought it new in 2004.  Would I buy a used 6.0 PSD?  Probably not, unless I knew the trucks detailed maintenance history.

I'd recommend looking for a decent 7.3 PSD.  The 2000-2004 F250/F350's are all basically the same, except for the engine options.  Get a CrewCab over a SuperCab if you need the room for people.  My SuperCab backseats are less comfortable than the little Ford Ranger it replaced.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are in the minority on this one, out of the few people I know that have owned the 6.0, nothing BUT problems, all from the factory too, not for lack of taking care of them.

The funny thing is that a lot of people who call the 6.0 a piece of shit has never owned, driven, or hell, probably have never even seen one.  It's almost always "my buddy's truck," or "my boss' truck" which generally leaves out a lot of factors as to why that person's truck sucks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

All three of the 6.0 trucks we have at work had more money spent on fixing the engines then we bought them for. That being said the one I drove was pretty nice truck when the engine was running good. Now I drive a Duramax and besides the fuel gauge that stops working if you let it idle too long, Its damn good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a 2003 F250 crewcab Lariat/FX4 package with the 6.0.The injectors are sensitive to dirt or build up!I changed my fuel filters when I changed my oil and all was good again.I also run Power Diesel Services in the tank!6.0s dont like veggie oil except in summer.I got 20-23 mpg at 70-75  mph on cruise!The 7.3s arent as fast or quiet but are cheaper to maintain and run veggie blend ALL year long!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a 2003 F250 crewcab Lariat/FX4 package with the 6.0.The injectors are sensitive to dirt or build up!I changed my fuel filters when I changed my oil and all was good again.I also run Power Diesel Services in the tank!6.0s dont like veggie oil except in summer.I got 20-23 mpg at 70-75  mph on cruise!The 7.3s arent as fast or quiet but are cheaper to maintain and run veggie blend ALL year long!

I thought veggie oil in a 6.0 PSD was a big no no.  You mean bio-diesel or veggie oil?  I'm ignorant on the subject, and just use plain ol'California ULSD .

The injectors are sensitive to oil breakdown.  Keep good clean oil, use Ford filters, and things should be okay.  I change my fuel filters every 15k and have not seen any major gunk collection.  I normally shop the same fuel station in town, and they are good at keeping the fuel clean.  Yep, they cost a few cents more, but it seems worth it to me.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like we're leaning towards a 2003 & older w/ the 7.3l diesel. From the reading I've been doing today, it seems to be the 'one to get'.

Anyone know about the best year ranges for the 7.3? I hear the '01s & earlier had forged rods as opposed to pressed metal in later years.

I'd also like to know what the latest year was w/o cats.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.fordcummins.com

Get the best of all worlds.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The 7.3 is the best motor in a Ford from the factory, when mine goes, I'm putting in a Cummins.  I'll have the best of both worlds at that point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#17]
My 02 7.3 has never had any issues.

Go with the 7.3

Had to be careful when taking off from intersections with this trailer on. It would bark the tires. 6spd manual is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top