Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2002 7:19:31 PM EDT
I'm getting the following error when I try to open the game:

Can't find file for package 'WinDrv'

History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
View Quote

What and the heck does this mean?

I've read through the AA "help" pages, but not being a computer guy, it's all "blah-blah-blah-blah" to me.

My computer was built in 2000 specifically for us.  I'm trying to figure out what the video card is, but I don't know where to look in the sys files (from "start" on my bottom tool bar).

Can anyone give me any help here?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to start, control panel, system, device manager, and see what video card you have.  Not sure of your problem but have heard others have it.  AA has already gotten boring to me, I'm back to DOD playing now.  

Bill3508
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I would guess that since you are not a computer guy, you probably need a lot of driver updates. Specifically, the latest DirectX drivers.

Is your computer connected to the web? Going to Start > Windows Update > will bring up a website that will examine your computer's OS and tell you what new drivers you need to install.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I updated the MS drivers (or at least one of the packages that MS offered at the support site.  Now I get closer to opening it (I actually get a full black/blank screen kind'a like it's ready to open), but then I get the following error:

HW not supported

History: CheckDeviceCaps <- UD3DRenderDevice::Init <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine
View Quote

Does this mean that my hardware doesn't support the game?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of video graphics card do you have?

It looks like you may have a really old, outdated card. Most new games have a minimum spec in order to work right. Sometimes there will be game patches in the future that will correct some of these problems but if your video card doesn't have enough horse power to play the game, there is nothing that they can do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably a video card and/or Directx problem.

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Device Manager and then select Display Adapters and see what card you have.  Report back what it lists under there.  I doubt you have a decent card if you don't know what you have...

If you didn't ask for a decent video card specifically then you're probably out of luck for playing newer games until you upgrade.  Spend $100 and get a decent Nvidia Geforce 2 card and you will be able to play all current games decently.  Spend more if you want a better/faster Geforce card (they make varying speed models, Geforce4s are newest/fastest, and there are different models of the 4s too.)

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
How did you get your copy of americas Army so fast??? I signed up online. but to my understanding it wasnt going to ship untill augest. anyone else have thier copy???
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, about 500,000 people have their copies.  They aren't shipping out CDs for quite a while, it is freely downloadable though.  It's a 220ish meg download if I remember correctly which may be a bit much if you're on dialup.  But then again if you're on dialup you won't get much use out of the game since nearly all of it requires playing online, which kinda sucks on dailup...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]
here's some links to get the game, the nVidia site lets you download in smaller pieces. The more you play, the more weapons become unlocked to use. Don't TK too much or you'll get kicked.

[url]http://www.americasarmy.com/download.html[/url]

And here's a link to a new game that I didn't know was in production, Blackhawk Down, to be released in August...Cooool!

[url]http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/screenshots.asp?id=3686[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top