Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 6:52:28 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to drive from Washington State to Florida in a couple of weeks.  Plan to stop along the way to visit Las Vegas and New Orleans.

I was wondering if it is worthwhile to buy a GPS?  I am not going to get lost but I was thinking the GPS could provide useful information on how far to the next reststop or city.

Has anybody had any experience taking a GPS unit on a long car trip?  Is it worth the $300?  Is is just a fun toy or a worthwhile purchase?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Garmin e-Trex Vista for camping and off road. The display is small and not user friendly when zooming down the hiway at 70 mph. Garmin GPS V is a nicer unit set up for auto use but it is a lot more $.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Dell Pocket PC for $200 and a Phoroas GPS receiver for $200. You get voice prompted directions, nice sized color display, automatic rerouting if you miss your turn, and not to mention a pocket pc to organize everything you do. Granted it isn't the best for rugged wilderness travel, but it is great for urban use.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple hand held units and hardly ever use them for just point to point driving.

I like an atlas much better. The wife and me read a map pretty well. They have all the info that the GPS will have and more due to the screen size on the GPS (very small)

I take one (gps) when we go on vacation to mark points of interest and make small memo. I download it back home to the computer and keep it like a journal.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a Garmin e-Trex Vista for camping and off road. The display is small and not user friendly when zooming down the hiway at 70 mph. Garmin GPS V is a nicer unit set up for auto use but it is a lot more $.
View Quote

I've got the GPS V. Definitly the way to go for road trips. Get the model that comes iwth the mapsource CD. you cal load all the information for the area you are going to. It'll give you turn by turn directons, IT's also got a built in directory. Want to go to a nice Italian Restaraunt? Tell the GPS and it will give you directions to the nearest italian restaraunt. It's like having a phone book programmed in. I have one in my car and take it everywhere. the GPS V certainly isn't cheap, but it's worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm still trying to figure out why you're going to drive from Washington to Florida.

That's like 27,482 miles!!! [shock]

Sure I'd get a GPS just to have something else to do besides watch the cows go by. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Flash,

You'll find a GPS unit very useful on your trip, I highly recommend one.

The one I have is the Magellan Sportrak Pro.  Go to GPS4fun.com for a selection and prices.

BTW: try geocaching.com for everything you wanted to know about GPS'ing.  Far more info there than here.

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an used GPS (forget which model - very basic, though - no maps) for around $50 a year or so ago and hook it up to my laptop w/ Microsoft Streets and Trips.  It works out very nicely for the cost and since you're in the car, portability isn't much of an issue.  The large detailed display on the laptop is very nice and the ability to plot a route (sorta like mapquest) is invaluable as well.  

If you're only going to use it in the car and already have a laptop, this is the route to go, IMHO.  Less than $100, including the GPS, serial cable for PC hookup, and software.

Rocko
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
go to [url]www.geocaching.com[/url] for all the info you could possibly want on GPS units.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Garmin unit when I was exploring the desert around Phoenix when I lived there.

I will never be without my GPS. It is worth every penny and then some.

Do not hesitate to buy one. Their GPS V is highly recommended!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Another recomendation for the Garmin GPS V.  Used mine to find motels, restaurants and points of interest on the family trip to Florida.  Came in very handy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top