Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 12:10:39 PM EDT
I frequently go to some property that my mother owns and my grandmother lives on. The land is pretty run down since my grandmother isn't able to take care of the area. Just recently they forced her to have a home torn down that was on the property because the locals claimed it was a haven for varmints. Typical rich people trying to ruin a poor old lady.

A new sub division has just gone up within the city limits and it is the right to the property. Every single time my brother and I shoot at our mother’s property the folks in the sub division collectively join together and call the police claiming that they are fearing for their lives. The local city Police Department opened up an investigation to see whether we were shooting within the city limits (which were not). We have a solid dirt embankment, and at the base of the embankment we commonly shoot at beer bottles, water filled pop cans, milk jugs, and so forth. We have gone to the land numerous times to shoot and nearly every time the police or sheriff come out. The police are out of their jurisdiction as 80% of the property is in the county. Perhaps the funniest thing is that when my great-grandfather was lying in the living room dying the city refused to send a squad out to assist, but they have no problem sending the police out check out "automatic militia shooting at us" reports.

Today a Sheriff came out and told us that there was nothing he can legally do to get us to stop shooting. He says we have every right to shoot were we do and he knows of now laws he can arrest us on. (He seemed like he would if he could). He said to please find another place to shoot because the people in the sub division are complaining really often and it was getting on his nerves to have to come out so often.

The most shocking thing he said was that the people in the sub division are contacting the district attorney to try to get us arrested, fined, or make us stop shooting. Would the Ohio district attorney be able to do anything about this? They already did make my grandmother tear down her home. Rich picking on the poor.

A great irony is that my mother (who owns the land), and father who I live with since I am 16, bring in over $125,000 a year and we live in the nicest sub division in the entire city with most homes pricing about $500,000 up to $800,000. It seems funny that the people who are complaining have no clue who actually owns the land. They just look and see a run down poor lady with a run down barn and crappy car. Lol, they have no fucking clue.

Anyway, my question is would there be anything that the DA could get us on? Thanks for the time and advice!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 12:43:40 PM EDT by AssaultRifler]
you're safe for now. I'd continue shooting just to piss them off. Only way they can make you stop shooting is if the county or city council passes a new law that would keep you from shooting, e.g. no discharge of a firearm within 1000 feet of a residence, yadda yadda yadda.

Keep abreast of whats going on in your local and county govt. Chances are if there's a hearing you'll be outnumbered and lose.

ETA: another way they can make you stop is if the subdivision is in the city and the city has laws against discharge of a firearm within city limits, then the city could annex your land.

Also, be preemptive, call the sheriff and tell them you'll be shooting so in case any subdivision asswipes call about gun fire the sheriff wont have to waste their time going to check you out
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:38:00 PM EDT
oh yeah, if the DA contacts you, ask if he'll sign off on class 3 stuff
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:02:00 PM EDT
You sure?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:14:14 PM EDT
Time to get a SBR .308.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:00:45 PM EDT
Come on , I really want some serious responses here guys.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:12:16 PM EDT
I recommend Tannerite. Yes, seriously.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:23:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Death_006:

This sounded like some pretty solid and good advice:

"Also, be preemptive, call the sheriff and tell them you'll be shooting so in case any subdivision asswipes call about gun fire the sheriff wont have to waste their time going to check you out".

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:29:22 PM EDT
Are you an NRA member? If so, try contacting them. They may be able to help ya. Sounds like harrassment and illegal tresspass if it is out of the PD's jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:33:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:

sounds serious enough to me
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 4:41:47 PM EDT by Fister]

Originally Posted By jmzd4:

+1 and I love the tannerite

Get a CAT and Build your berm up for safety more of a cover your ass thing
Really piss them off by going into town and getting a lot of used tires and lineing them around and on top of your berm to catch any bogies. Make it look like a real eye sore that gets bigger and bigger every chance you get. And get a SPAS 12 and tear it up
It will be loud as hell. Fuck em they got the money to move. Invite local law enforcement for stress shoots and rapid fire tgt challenges. Make it worth your while. B-B-Q with the local FBI Group and live it up. They will hate you for ever but not be able to do a damn thing about it.

How much land you got?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:49:22 PM EDT

Today a Sheriff came out and told us that there was nothing he can legally do to get us to stop shooting. He says we have every right to shoot were we do and he knows of now laws he can arrest us on. (He seemed like he would if he could). He said to please find another place to shoot because the people in the sub division are complaining really often and it was getting on his nerves to have to come out so often.

Sounds like the Sheriff needs to tell the callers that it's legal to shoot there and there's nothing he can do.

You might also think about getting some hogs or moo's so the whiners can enjoy the smells of country life also. They'll love that...!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:51:25 PM EDT

Sounds like the Sheriff needs to tell the callers that it's legal to shoot there and there's nothing he can do.

You might also think about getting some hogs or moo's so the whiners can enjoy the smells of
country life also. They'll love that...!

+1000 and dont forget the lovely smell .............. LOL
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:55:09 PM EDT
I think you are safe. Keep shooting. Hey invite me up there I like pissing off the rich folk
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:58:48 PM EDT
File a law suit against the homeowners association from where the calls are being made, for harrasment. That should shut em up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:59:13 PM EDT
How far away from the subdivions are you shooting? 100 yards? 200? 500? 1000? You have already been told your doing nothing illegal. But always CYA. Call them next time you want to shoot and tell them you are and to tell the people who call that theres nothign that can be done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:00:44 PM EDT
Or that.

Originally Posted By TrashHeap:
File a law suit against the homeowners association from where the calls are being made, for harrasment. That should shut em up.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:01:48 PM EDT
What a bunch of whiny cocksuckers. If it were me, I would, no shit seriously, buy about $1000 of tannerite, and make it a point to shoot out there every fucking day, even IF there was something they could do about it. Fuck them.

Also, when the sheriff comes out next, ask him why he hasn't told them to piss up a rope yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fister:

Originally Posted By jmzd4:

+1 and I love the tannerite

Get a CAT and Build your berm up for safety more of a cover your ass thing
Really piss them off by going into town and getting a lot of used tires and lineing them around and on top of your berm to catch any bogies. Make it look like a real eye sore that gets bigger and bigger every chance you get. And get a SPAS 12 and tear it up
It will be loud as hell. Fuck em they got the money to move. Invite local law enforcement for stress shoots and rapid fire tgt challenges. Make it worth your while. B-B-Q with the local FBI Group and live it up. They will hate you for ever but not be able to do a damn thing about it.

How much land you got?

Good advice, that. Have a cookout with all LEO's invited. Put up posters in the squadrooms and check-on rooms at the S.O. and P.D. Get them on your side. That's the first step. It will really surprise you how much leeway you have when these people are on your side.

The trick around here is annexation. Fight to make sure you stay outside of the city limits.

Contact local politicians to let them know that you are being harrassed by your neighbors, even though you were here first. Make yourself so visible that your neighbors can't really do anything to you outside of legal means.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:02:38 PM EDT
Build a gun club on the property when your GM passes away. Then post flyers announcing the grand opening in the subdivision. Fuck them. Hell, I say we all chip in and buy you a case of Tannerite.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
I hate it when city slickers start imposing their big city attitudes in the country. As long as you are not breaking any laws, fuck'em. Although they will start getting ordinances passed about noise or shooting within 1000 ft of occupied buildings, ect. Your shooting days are numbered so raise holy hell.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:14:59 PM EDT

Advice?

Get a lawyer NOW, he won't have much to do at the moment except review your case and offer advice.

Just in case
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:55:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:
How far away from the subdivions are you shooting? 100 yards? 200? 500? 1000? You have already been told your doing nothing illegal. But always CYA. Call them next time you want to shoot and tell them you are and to tell the people who call that theres nothign that can be done.

Very close. They are only about 100 yards away I would say.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:02:04 PM EDT
Anyway to move farther away to help with it? Always gotta CYA now-a-days.

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

Very close. They are only about 100 yards away I would say.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:15:03 PM EDT
Learn to bumpfire and get a .50 cal. They will annex you soon enough, might as well have fun while you can.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:25:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merlin:

This sounded like some pretty solid and good advice:

"Also, be preemptive, call the sheriff and tell them you'll be shooting so in case any subdivision asswipes call about gun fire the sheriff wont have to waste their time going to check you out".

Merlin

You need to invite the sheriff when you call and tell him you are going to be shooting. Seriously, you need to make nice with him if you can.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:42:53 PM EDT
start keeping a running logbook. every time the police come out, right in front of his eyes, pull out your log and document the event.
after a certain number of entries, you should be able to have proven that you have been checked out as clean enough times, that any further checking up on you, is indeed harrasment. make sure you tell the person breaking your chops exactly that.
document, document, document......with a witness if at all possible.
shoot often to get the process accelerated and brought to a head.
Top Top