Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2004 5:21:39 PM EST
My problem is with my 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4X4, 4 Ltr V6 SOHC. I'm the second owner, truck has 73,000 mls and the only work I've had done in the year I've owned it was having the slave cylinder and clutch replaced.

I noticed today after about 45 minutes of driving that when I make a sharp left turn around a corner I get a strange sort of creaking noise coming from the right rear of the truck. This only occurs during left turns. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Quib
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:06:07 PM EST
My best guess is that it is a wheel bearing. They normally make themselves know during sharp turns when there is unequal pressure on one side. A lesser guess, the teflon pads that the OEM inserts into the spring leaf packs may have fallen or worn out and your leaf springs are making the creaking sound, once again because they are being compressed by the weight shift involved in a turn.

Let me know how it goes.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:48:30 PM EST
Rangers are wierd, I have even had something similar to that when a chunk of my drum brake had broken off.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:58:29 PM EST
I'd suggest asking over at www.therangerstation.com

They're kinda goofy, and I'm convinced that some of their family trees are either straight lines or more closely resemble a bush than a tree....but they do seem to know a lot about ford rangers
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:59:47 AM EST
Might check to see if it needs some friction modifier added didn’t think they came with anti-slip but maybe, if so while your at it just change the diff fluid and additive and start from scratch. Get the info and stuff at your local Ford dealer
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:05:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:
I'd suggest asking over at www.therangerstation.com

They're kinda goofy, and I'm convinced that some of their family trees are either straight lines or more closely resemble a bush than a tree....but they do seem to know a lot about ford rangers

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been lurking there for awhile and joined up this afternoon after this problem came up!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:11:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By DirtyDan:
Might check to see if it needs some friction modifier added didn’t think they came with anti-slip but maybe, if so while your at it just change the diff fluid and additive and start from scratch. Get the info and stuff at your local Ford dealer

Thanks! I did a Google search trying to find out more and read something about friction modifier and Traction -Lok differentials but didn't have a clue what they were talking about, now I get it, At first I thought friction modifier was an actual mechanical modification! I'll call the dealer and find out more.

Thanks DD!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:11:58 AM EST
Ranger Power Sports is pretty good too. It has forums just like here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:14:42 AM EST
Oh, and before I forget.......THANKS to all who have replied or will reply! You guys have saved my arse more than once when it comes to cars or trucks!
Top Top