Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 9:43:33 PM EDT
takin my gf shooting for the first real time.  been with her 4 years, and she comes with me occasionally, but mostly just watches.

We're takin out a couple .22s for plinkin fun, and need some cool, fun target ideas.  Ya' know, just to make sure she has fun.  can't have anything that explodes.  Post up your cool target ideas

I'm sure other people could get some ideas outta this thread too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ice, it's the perfect beginner's target. Just get some containers in various sizes (margarine tubs, fill up soda cans, whatever), freeze them and put them in a cooler. They're HIGHLY reactive, easy to see against black sights, and fun for first timers.

Taught my daughter & wife to shoot using them, they both got a big kick out of them.

Cheap pop from Walmart works equally well, it's really the only suitable use for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
.22s?  Um... not sure what you can shoot thats real exciting with a .22

Take a watermelon.  cut it in half.  Place the ends on two sticks side by side and shoot each one in turn with a Hollow Point .357.

kaBOOM.  Melon will fly all over the place!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Take a watermelon.  cut it in half.  Place the ends on two sticks side by side and shoot each one in turn with a Hollow Point .357.

kaBOOM.  Melon will fly all over the place!

i'm takin 1,200 rounds of .22.  what else can you shoot 1,200 rounds of and not break the bank?  this is an all day trip.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Read the thread above. A BB will send ice flying in all directions.

It's free, too. And you don't clean it up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the thread above. A BB will send ice flying in all directions.

It's free, too. And you don't clean it up.

You beat me to it.

Heh, and you'll only shoot 1 .357 for each half... thats all it takes.

Let the critters clean it up!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Pick up a couple of cases of Clay pidgeons, they are good for spankin on the side of a berm
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Clay pigeons

Balloons
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
At the gun club sometimes we have "bug splat" shoots for the youngsters. Just tape a bunch of condiment packets (ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.) to a piece of cardboard and plink away.

And there's clay pigeons, balloons, eggs, melons, tannerite , plastic film cannisters loaded with flour.

Or pick up some .22 metal spinners at a gun store. I got one with 3 discs. IIRC it was around $20.

Everything else I have heard of.....but the ketchup packs sound like a blast.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At the gun club sometimes we have "bug splat" shoots for the youngsters. Just tape a bunch of condiment packets (ketchup, mustard, relish, etc.) to a piece of cardboard and plink away.

And there's clay pigeons, balloons, eggs, melons, tannerite , plastic film cannisters loaded with flour.

Or pick up some .22 metal spinners at a gun store. I got one with 3 discs. IIRC it was around $20.

I've tried it. It was pretty anti-climactic.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#11]
shotgun shells (empty)

2 liter bottles

soda cans
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've tried it. It was pretty anti-climactic.

It might be, but it gave me an idea for what to use the little packages of dressing and honey mustard, not to mention all of the damn Miracle Whip that my MIL bought instead of mayonnaise.  

Also worthy of consideration...:

Eggs
Cheap soda in cans, shook up
Aerosol cans
kids toys
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

good ideas!  i think they give away the film canisters at Eckerds.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I like to shoot softballs. Never shot my .22s at one but an AR makes them jump pretty good when you hit it right. Gets more challenging the more you hit it too. I like to shoot it with the 1911 out to 30 yards or so and switch to the AR or SKS past that. Play it Again Sports sells beat up used ones for $.99, a hit with some orange spray paint and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I like to shoot softballs. Never shot my .22s at one but an AR makes them jump pretty good when you hit it right. Gets more challenging the more you hit it too. I like to shoot it with the 1911 out to 30 yards or so and switch to the AR or SKS past that. Play it Again Sports sells beat up used ones for $.99, a hit with some orange spray paint and you're good to go.

that's a good idea too.  i'll go pick some up on my way home.  i need all the ideas i can get, i need to keep my girlfriend entertained allll day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top