Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:53 PM EDT
I have been running a Asus P5GDC with a D 3.2 @ 4.0 for quite awhile.  This is my second P5GDC my first one crapped out after a month.  This one hasn't had the onboard sound working for 5 months, no biggie as I use a headset anyways.  Now its looses my DVD drives, they just disappear and the devices list a corrupt driver or something, I don't care.

I need a new mobo

I'll be doing a SLI for this build and a AMD X2 5400.  Looking for for manufacturer recommendations not so much a specific board.  I will not buy another ASUS they just piss me off.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
i use asus, foxconn, giga-byte,

whats wrong with asus ?  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering I've had 2 Asus boards crap on me, I don't want another.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
giga-byte boards don't go bad??  dell boards don't go bad???

asus has a 3 year warranty ya know
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've built a few computers with ASUS motherboards, never a problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Asus.. I've used 6 of their boards, not a single one has had problems. Still have 3 of them running. Do whatever you want, but Asus boards are among the best you can buy.

-d
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Another vote for Asus.. I've used 6 of their boards, not a single one has had problems. Still have 3 of them running. Do whatever you want, but Asus boards are among the best you can buy.

-d

A server, 15 workstations and countless home computers with ASUS boards.  I have had two problems with them:

The A8N-XXX series has bad chipset fans.  I've replaced three of these.  Otherwise, the only problems I've ever had is keeping users from is users installing garbage on XP...
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been around so much equipment I can honestly say that I have had at least a couple problems with every manufacturer I have come in contact with.  If I didn't have a problem with a particular manufacturer I know someone who has.  

Just remember you are a very small sample size for determining overall quality.  If I get a bum piece of hardware I wouldn't write off the company.  If there is a clear quality control problem where many people are having an issue then that is different.

With that said.  I have had as much success with Asus mother boards as any other brand.  I prefer them myself.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

A server, 15 workstations and countless home computers with ASUS boards.  I have had two problems with them:

The A8N-XXX series has bad chipset fans.  I've replaced three of these.  Otherwise, the only problems I've ever had is keeping users from is users installing garbage on XP...

Does the fan on the A8N-XXX boards just fail or does it not provide enough cooling? I have the A8N-SLI Deluxe board.

-d
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Asus has a good rep.  I really like MSI boards and they are what I use myself.  Decently priced, great for OC'ng, and rock solid IME.

I also had great luck with Shuttle mainboards back in the day, but I don't believe they sell ATX-style mobos anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my Gigabyte DS3 for my core2duo system so far.   Not sure if their AMD boards are as nice as their Intel boards.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Does the fan on the A8N-XXX boards just fail or does it not provide enough cooling? I have the A8N-SLI Deluxe board.

-d

The board is fine but it'll beep that the fan has failed.  The boards I've dealt with are unaffected minus that incessant beeping noise and the warning on boot up.

I wouldn't run a board without a chipset fan for weeks, but ASUS sent out a replacement fan and it arrived about 5 business days after I called.

The A8N-SLI series don't seem as affected as some of the A8N-E boards.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I am currently running a GigaByte GA-M59SLI-S5 without issue with the exception of one, to boot linux you must use the 'noapic' boot option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top