Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/4/2007 2:46:50 PM EDT
www.wsbtv.com/news/14243131/detail.html

Members of the Justice Department's elite Nazi tracking force said Paul Henss, 85, served as a prison guard and attack dog handler at the notorious Dachau and Buchenwald Concentration Camps in Nazi Germany.

On Monday, in his driveway in a tidy, middle-class neighborhood where the streets are named after tennis stars, Henss said he had been an SS soldier and had trained German shepherds and Rottweilers during World War II, but he angrily denied being a war criminal.

"It is not 100 percent true, what they charge me," said Henss Monday afternoon. Henss appeared confused as he tried to answer a barrage of questions from reporters.

"I didn't commit no crimes," Henss said in a thick German accent. "I didn't hurt nobody. Otherwise I wouldn't have come to the United States."

Henss called the Holocaust "a catastrophe" and said: "Everybody in Germany knows that wasn't right."

The Justice Department and the Department of Homeland Security have asked an immigration judge in Atlanta to deport Henss.

Officials said Henss entered the United States in 1955 after concealing his concentration camp service.

The document says Henss admitted on March 13 that he served as an SS guard at Dachau and Buchenwald for two to three months each as a dog handler.

When asked by a Channel 2 reporter, "Did you see dogs or did you train dogs to attack prisoners who tried to escape?" Henss paused for a while, appeared confused and then said, "Sure, we trained them in Berlin."

Paperwork filed by the Criminal Division’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) said Henss joined the Hitler Youth organization in Germany in 1934 as a 12 or 13-year-old boy and joined the Nazi Party in September 1940.

In early 1941, Henss volunteered to serve in the Waffen SS and became an SS dog handler in 1942 after serving in the elite Waffen SS combat unit “Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler.”

Investigators also said that Henss taught other concentration camp guards at Dachau and Buchwenwald how to use attack dogs to guard prisoners and prevent their escape.

Henss himself is also accused of personally guarding prisoners and labor details with an attack dog.

"When somebody run away, they supposed to catch them," Henss said. He then said he, "Didn't do anything, the dogs were just trained like that."

“Hundreds of thousands of persons were confined under horrific conditions at Dachau and Buchenwald on the basis of their race, religion, national origin or political opinion,” said Assistant Attorney General Alice S. Fisher of the Criminal Division in a release.

“By commencing these proceedings against a man who participated in the victimization of those who were interned there, the Justice Department continues to make good on its pledge to ensure that the United States does not become a sanctuary for human rights violators.”

Paul Henss

“The SS committed mass murder at Dachau and Buchenwald and subjected thousands of inmates to slave labor, starvation, grotesque medical experimentation, and torture,” said OSI Director Eli M. Rosenbaum, whose office investigated the case.

Henss said he didn't know about the mass extermination of Jews and other prisoners. "This was in 1942, I didn't know nothing about what they were going to do, especially with the Jews, I didn't know nothing about it," Henss told reporters.

“The brutal concentration camp system could not have functioned without the determined efforts of SS men such as Paul Henss, who, with a vicious attack dog, stood between these victims and the possibility of freedom.”

The case against Henss is the first case in Georgia that the Office of Special Investigation has handled, said Jaclyn Lesch, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington.

No court date has been set for Henss, she said.

Should he be prosecuted?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is it that child molesters can skate under the statue of limitations, but we have to lock up old men who aren't harming anyone now?

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm having a deja vu moment except every body's answers seem to have changed.

MMMMMM, love the smell of....hypocrisy?  At the very least fickleness.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that Israeli special forces will hunt down and asassinate old Nazi's from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard that Israeli special forces will hunt down and asassinate old Nazi's from time to time.

Good. They should.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
motherfucker should have been executed in 1945. those of you that are appaled by the prosecution of this POS will probably be in favor of letting illegal aliens get amnesty who have been here a certain number of years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have too but they were officers directly involved in ordering the execution of Jews.  This is just an old guard..let him be.

If we are going to be deporting anyone it should be the thousands of mexicans that flow over the boarder every month, filling our ghettos and jails.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
motherfucker should have been executed in 1945. those of you that are appaled by the prosecution of this POS will probably be in favor of letting illegal aliens get amnesty who have been here a certain number of years.

Thats brilliant..just round and and execute everyone in the SS reguardless of the facts or what can be proven...  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Perhaps you should take the time to read Black Edelweiss and then make the blanket statement everyone serving in Nazi Germany should've been executed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
How many of you as E-1 or E-3 would have refused to do your ordered duty when it was a lawfull order?
I am not making excuses but from the sounds of it this guy was a dog trainer and at his age I doubt he is going to start retraining dogs and rounding up Jews.

But Chester the Molestor who has raped 3 year olds on tape is not found

Its about prioritys the DOJ has limited resources is it wise to spend them on something that happend 40 years ago and by their own admission the man had a miniscule role in
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How many of you as E-1 or E-3 would have refused to do your ordered duty when it was a lawfull order?
I am not making excuses but from the sounds of it this guy was a dog trainer and at his age I doubt he is going to start retraining dogs and rounding up Jews.

He's not being deported for working as a prison guard.  He's being deported for LYING on his immigration application.  Granted, he wouldn't have gotten in had he not lied, but if you favor amnesty for this guy, then you might as well favor amnesty for the other millions of illegals here who didn't work as Nazi prison guards...
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, as a human being, you have the obligation to refuse unlawful orders. So hypothetically, when the officer says "Shoot the prisoners", you're supposed to refuse. All well and good. If you shot prisoners, you shot prisoners.
Where the "just following orders" works, is when you are following lawful orders. I would argue that standard prison guarding is following lawful orders. Guarding the line into the showers at Auschwitz - not lawful orders. It's complicated and controversial. Following orders is not an excuse, you did what you did, so the question is: What did you do? If he was just a guard, and all he did was guard, I think he's ok. They doled out a lot of amnesty back in the day, he almost certainly would have qualified. Stalin wanted to line them up and shoot them. You can't kill them all. Virtually the entire country was culpable. What do you do?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why is it that child molesters can skate under the statue of limitations, but we have to lock up old men who aren't harming anyone now?

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Exactly. He isn't harming anything. I imagine at that time he was following orders for a regime that would have had him killed if he refused. He's an old man now. Leave him be and deport some illegals.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's not being deported for working as a prison guard.  He's being deported for LYING on his immigration application.  Granted, he wouldn't have gotten in had he not lied, but if you favor amnesty for this guy, then you might as well favor amnesty for the other millions of illegals here who didn't work as Nazi prison guards...

I never stated that he should or should not be deported.......

I was replying to the kill all germans mentalaty and the double standard employed by many..

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
who cares? what lesson is he gonna learn in jail.  he's probably half deaf and half blind and can't get around so why throw him in jail?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Try him.  If there is evidence he was an SS guard at Dachau and it stands up under scrutiny in trial, he's a war criminal and should be treated as such.  No statute of limitations for SS members, particularly those who served in any capacity in the camps.  I don't care if he's in a hospital bed, if he's found to be a war criminal who is in this country under false pretenses then deport him immediately, preferably to Israel so he can stand trial for his actions in the camps.

It's particularly disturbing to read some of these posters who seem to feel that if you are under orders to commit an atrocity and you know what you're doing is wrong, a sin, but you still do it, the fact that you were ordered to gives you some form of immunity for punishment.  Doesn't work that way.  E-1 to 0-10, doesn't matter if you give the orders or pull the trigger, crimes are committed and everyone involved must pay.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How many of you as E-1 or E-3 would have refused to do your ordered duty when it was a lawfull order? I am not making excuses but from the sounds of it this guy was a dog trainer and at his age I doubt he is going to start retraining dogs and rounding up Jews.

But Chester the Molestor who has raped 3 year olds on tape is not found

Its about prioritys the DOJ has limited resources is it wise to spend them on something that happend 40 years ago and by their own admission the man had a miniscule role in

I'm betting plenty of Americans serving in the armed forces would refuse "lawful" orders to set attack dogs on "prisoners" who weren't criminals and who's only reason for being in the extermination camps is because they were Jews.

Poor old man Henss had no idea what was happening in the camps when the ovens were working around the clock to get rid of the corpses of the "inmates" and the sky was constantly black with soot that smelled of death for miles around.

The stacks of dead bodies, suitcases, eyeglasses, personal belongings and gold teeth didn't tip him off that murder on an enormous scale was taking place 24 hours a day while he stood over the inmates with his guard dog.

And I suppose he thought the starving, emaciated prisoners he saw each and every day were being well treated and adequately fed.

Old man Henss never chatted with the other guards as to what was going on in the death camp where he worked with his dog.

He never even heard any rumors about the gas chambers.

Trainloads of victims arrived on schedule but the camps were never full; old Paul Henss never noticed.

No doubt he never heard a word about the "showers" and he never ever joked among his fellow guards about the Jews that were killed there.

And he certainly never,ever in a million years would put his dog on an inmate; be it a man, women or child.

As a matter of fact he never wondered where the children who were brought to the death camps were.

Fuck old man Henss, just because he escaped justice for too damn long doesn't mean that he should be let off now because of his age.

Fuck him and all of his kind; they weren't always old men.

They were monsters once.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

There were no gas chambers at Dachau.  It was not one of the six death camps.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Not our problem.  I find it funny how there's an elite Nazi hunting unit while there's hundreds of AQ sleeper cells still around.

Someone in the DOJ has their priorities fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True,  Dachau and Buchenwald were ,in fact,  "concentration" camps; where only some 96,000 human beings; Jews and non Jews, died and of course poor old SS man  Henss never even heard any rumors of what was going on in the nazi death camps like Auswich.

Although never officially declared death camps, the nazis managed to take quite a few lives at those places.

You know how it is in the military; rumors never travel.

And Henss apparantly was never present when thousand of executions were held at his workplace.

Old man Henss and his ilk will rot in hell for their crimes against humanity; his age won't mean shit.

And it shouldn't.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not our problem.  I find it funny how there's an elite Nazi hunting unit while there's hundreds of AQ sleeper cells still around.
Someone in the DOJ has their priorities fucked up.

Let's hope it doesn't take over 60 years to catch up with those fuckers but if it does. they deserve to be brought to justice as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#21]
America-first has the right idea.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Why should we have to lock up old men who, in their younger days, molested chidren but who aren't harming anyone now?

Same stupid premise.

The fact that either category of these monsters may escape justice is unfortunate, but just because one does, doesn't mean the other should be give a pass if we have the means to make things right.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm saying why are we wasting resources on this guy when we don't even take the time to deport hardened Mexican criminals that are selling drugs, raping women and killing on a daily basis in our streets.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Why should we have to lock up old men who, in their younger days, molested chidren but who aren't harming anyone now?

Same stupid premise.

The fact that either category of these monsters may escape justice is unfortunate, but just because one does, doesn't mean the other should be give a pass if we have the means to make things right.

No it's not.  We don't have any facts that this man committed any crimes while in the SS.  The only crime he is guilty of is lying on his papers..
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are gas chambers, but no record of them being used.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
There were only a few camps whose only purpose was extermination and they weren't around long.  Even Auschwitz (and all of its sub-camps) was mostly labor and concentration.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#27]
ive been to Dachau its one of those things that moves you so profoundly that it changes you forever. he should stand trial if guilty he should be punished. there is time limit on that crime anyone who believes otherwise is unamerican.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Leave the old guy alone and hunt some real criminals like MS-13
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many of those who disappeared without being counted among the dead at Dachau and Buchenwald were either used for medical experimentation, or "transferred to the gestapo".
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
...anyone who believes otherwise is unamerican.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#31]
He participated in mass murder. He's a murder.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I read about halfway through this and I am dumbfounded.

More of this "just following orders" bullshit again.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU FUCKING DO.  Period.  I don't care what the law says, or what somebody you see as an authority figure tells you to do.

YOU are responsible for your actions.  Right will always be right, and wrong will always be wrong.  Period fucking dot.

I feel bad for him.  I feel bad that this poor old man was such a fucking idiot, that he somehow didn't think he was responsible for his own fucking actions, like a lot of people in America today.  But that's just to damn bad.

I don't CARE what is legal or illegal.  If you try to do something that is WRONG to me or my family, I WILL use whatever means at my disposal to stop you.  If the government orders me to do something that is wrong, or attempts to wrong me, I will resist.

Why?  Because RIGHT AND WRONG supercede "orders" and "law".  Period.  The "law" only has any real life authority when it is in accordance with what is right and wrong.  The strength of the state alone is not real authority when it is in the wrong, its just thug violence.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
There were only a few camps whose only purpose was extermination and they weren't around long.  Even Auschwitz (and all of its sub-camps) was mostly labor and concentration.

They were around long enough to murder millions of souls.

And for those who were incarcerated in those hell holes and somehow managed to survive without being worked to death, machine gunned or gassed,, it seemed like they were around a hell of a long time.

What the fuck was your point anyway?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#34]
He'll probably die of old age before the trial is over, why bother at this point?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Germany had conscription, like our "draft?"

Maybe he didn't have a choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, he didn't do anything wrong.

I say, hang 'em high.

Saddam was old too.  Should he have gotten a pass?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Germany had conscription, like our "draft?"

Maybe he didn't have a choice.

Fight with your sword or die on it. It's a choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many of those who disappeared without being counted among the dead at Dachau and Buchenwald were either used for medical experimentation, or "transferred to the gestapo".

Hmm, I didn't know that.  They weren't mentioned in the museum there.  Not that it really matters, Dachau is a very creepy place, and there was enough evil there with or without gas chambers.  

BTW, first thing you see at Dachau station:

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I read about halfway through this and I am dumbfounded.

More of this "just following orders" bullshit again.

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU FUCKING DO.  Period.  I don't care what the law says, or what somebody you see as an authority figure tells you to do.

YOU are responsible for your actions.  Right will always be right, and wrong will always be wrong.  Period fucking dot.

I feel bad for him.  I feel bad that this poor old man was such a fucking idiot, that he somehow didn't think he was responsible for his own fucking actions, like a lot of people in America today.  But that's just to damn bad.

I don't CARE what is legal or illegal.  If you try to do something that is WRONG to me or my family, I WILL use whatever means at my disposal to stop you.  If the government orders me to do something that is wrong, or attempts to wrong me, I will resist.

Why?  Because RIGHT AND WRONG supercede "orders" and "law".  Period.  The "law" only has any real life authority when it is in accordance with what is right and wrong.  The strength of the state alone is not real authority when it is in the wrong, its just thug violence.

And he'd have gotten a 9 mil skullbuster to the brainpan, just like you would have gotten had you been living back then refusing orders.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Try him.  If there is evidence he was an SS guard at Dachau and it stands up under scrutiny in trial, he's a war criminal and should be treated as such.  No statute of limitations for SS members, particularly those who served in any capacity in the camps.  I don't care if he's in a hospital bed, if he's found to be a war criminal who is in this country under false pretenses then deport him immediately, preferably to Israel so he can stand trial for his actions in the camps.

It's particularly disturbing to read some of these posters who seem to feel that if you are under orders to commit an atrocity and you know what you're doing is wrong, a sin, but you still do it, the fact that you were ordered to gives you some form of immunity for punishment.  Doesn't work that way.  E-1 to 0-10, doesn't matter if you give the orders or pull the trigger, crimes are committed and everyone involved must pay.  

It's particularly disturbing that since the Jews got their asses handed to them by Hezbollah last year they need to make themselves feel better by capturing an 85 year old man.  "Nazi Hunters" crack me up.  Want to save the jewish race?  Take your ass back to Israel and guard the fucking border so no more IDF troops get captured by Hezbollah for whatever the savages can dream up to do to some Israeli kid.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And he'd have gotten a 9 mil skullbuster to the brainpan, just like you would have gotten had you been living back then refusing orders.

Let them live their 'I would have single-handedly fought the Third Reich!!!!' fantasies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were around long enough to murder millions of souls.

And for those who were incarcerated in those hell holes and somehow managed to survive without being worked to death, machine gunned or gassed,, it seemed like they were around a hell of a long time.

What the fuck was your point anyway?

Relax Francis, merely pointing out the facts.  I am seeing a lot of death camp this, and extermination camp that tossed around in the thread.  I have visited one and read up on others.  It is just info, if you want to get all bent the fuck up over the facts, then go for it I guess.

The extermination camps were part of what was called Operation Reinhardt.  They established Belzec, Sorbibor, Chelmno, Treblinka, and added to a few other camps in Poland to "liquidate" the gettos after they started uprising.  The former named camps had NO OTHER PURPOSE than extermination- hence the term extermination camp.  Yes, they killed millions in these camps in just a few years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's particularly disturbing that since the Jews got their asses handed to them by Hezbollah last year they need to make themselves feel better by capturing an 85 year old man.  "Nazi Hunters" crack me up.  Want to save the jewish race?  Take your ass back to Israel and guard the fucking border so no more IDF troops get captured by Hezbollah for whatever the savages can dream up to do to some Israeli kid.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder if I would find favor with those posting if I took your firearms because of orders? If I rounded up your family because of orders? If I marched your children to a gas chamber because of orders? If I stood at the gate to keep you in because of orders?

I wonder.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let them live their 'I would have single-handedly fought the Third Reich!!!!' fantasies.

It's not a fantasy. It's a choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Yeah, he didn't do anything wrong.

I say, hang 'em high.

Saddam was old too.  Should he have gotten a pass?

Do we have facts to condemn this man?  Stop using so much emotion, it is blinding your logic...
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm, I didn't know that.  They weren't mentioned in the museum there.  Not that it really matters, Dachau is a very creepy place, and there was enough evil there with or without gas chambers.  

BTW, first thing you see at Dachau station:
i177.photobucket.com/albums/w233/venemanuarizonaedu/ElcometoDachau.jpg

They mentioned them when I was there in 1985, and there was no McDogfoods there then.  There is a sign in the shower that says that in addition to a shower they were a fully functional gas chamber.  There is no evidence that it was ever used at Dachau.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I wonder if I would find favor with those posting if I took your firearms because of orders? If I rounded up your family because of orders? If I marched your children to a gas chamber because of orders? If I stood at the gate to keep you in because of orders?

I wonder.

Do we have facts that he did any of this or does it not bother you to condemn a man on assumptions?  What if the government 'assumed' that you were committing crimes with your guns and came and took them all away?

Rereading, at worst we can say that he guarded the gates to a concentration camp.  Should we round up all the men that guarded the concentration camps we kept the Japanese in during WWII and hang them too?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I wonder.

+100

Some of these same assholes would denounce you as you a JBT if you pulled them over for driving drunk or speeding  in a school zone.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Must have missed that.  Understandable, given the circumstances.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top