BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 9:33:47 AM EDT
AIRPAC Helicopters Support Hurricane Relief
Story Number: NNS050902-25
Release Date: 9/2/2005 8:00:00 PM

By Journalist 2nd Class Paul Cage, Fleet Public Affairs Center, Pacific

SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron HSC-21, Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron (Light) (HSL) 43, HSL-47 and HSL-49 departed Naval Air Station North Island Sept. 1 to assist with Hurricane Katrina Relief efforts.

The units will support search and rescue and logistic missions in the devastated Gulf Coast region.

“We are honored to help and support our fellow Americans in need in the Gulf Coast region,” said Cmdr. Monte Ulmer, executive officer of HSC-21. “ We all feel devastated by what we’ve seen, and we are ready to help in any way possible.”

“This is important for our squadron and the military to help,” said HSC-21 Command Master Chief Mike Keck. “People here want to help. We have had so many Sailors who’ve wanted to volunteer to go to New Orleans that we have had to turn them away, and that makes me proud to see this squadron and the Sailors volunteering to help.”

The squadrons fly the MH-60 Seahawk, a versatile helicopter that carries a crew of four, with room for 13 passengers, and can be used in non-combatant evacuation operations, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

HSC-21 is sending 4 MH-60S helos.
HSL-43 is sending 4 SH-60B helos.
HSl-47 is sending 5 SH-60B helos.
HSL-49 is sending 4 SH-60B helos.

In addition NAS Pensacola has sent one UH-3H,
A buddy of mine went along as the senior SAR rescue crewman.
He sent me a text email from his cell phone.

It smells like SHIT here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top