Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2010 3:38:56 PM EDT
How high do they go and do they generally fall back to earth still on fire?

Last time I screwed with some flares I did not know much about, I set a brushpile on fire.

For those that have never seen one:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They go relatively far.  There are idiots that used to shoot them off at a flat trajectory.  One time, a Rescue Swimmer came in and yelled, "Fire in the Hole" and lit one off in an enclosed space.

I wish I had some now.  What a great asset in a small package.

ETA: To answer your question, if shot properly, they aren't lit when they hit the ground.

ETA twice:  You are backpeddling like a MF!  You just don't understand the seriousness of this!! Why did you edit your OP?

CHILL PILL TAKEN and sincerest apologies to the OP.  I might come off as harsh on my later posts. . .I still remember to this day, we got called to a "flare sighting."  I looked to the Aircraft Commander and said, "It's just a flare sighting."  We had flown on hundreds of them.  He looked at me and said, "take all of them seriously."  That's all I have to say.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
How loud are they?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How loud are they?

WHAT?!?!?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Last time I screwed with some flares I did not know much about, I set a brushpile on fire.

did that with a czech flare launcher!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

did that with a czech flare launcher!

I did it with a Paines-Wessex rocket parachute flare.

Shot it at the ground thinking it would dig in.

WRONG...damn thing slid towards the neighbors house and lodged in a brushpile.

My other neighbor who is also a pyro helped me put the fire out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How loud are they?

They are not loud at all!!! It seriously sounds just like a cap gun. You cock the hand held piece (basically a lever held in by a spring and a detent).  You screw in the flare and then let loose.

They are literally the size of a pen (black in color).  The flare you screw in is roughly the size of a .223 round and is a brushed silver color.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I know, I have a set.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was a kid, I found one of those pen launchers, with a spent flare, in a road ditch in SE Missouri.

Why someone threw it out the window there is a mystery.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I was a kid, I found one of those pen launchers, with a spent flare, in a road ditch in SE Missouri.

Why someone threw it out the window there is a mystery.

They probably just had one round for it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How loud are they?

They are not loud at all!!! It seriously sounds just like a cap gun.  

Damn, I would expect it to be about as loud as a ladyfinger at least.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know, I have a set.

Then why the fuck did you ask the question and waste my fucking time?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Because I have never fired any and didn't want to set shit on fire, or get the police called on me due to noise.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because I have never fired any and didn't want to set shit on fire, or get the police called on me due to noise.

How the heck do you expect to fire a flare?  Horizontally?  When would you need to use it?  Perhaps an emergency?

Fire it straight up or slightly at an angle.  I am a low post guy. . .I would expect more from you.

ETA: If you shoot up a flare, it better well be a damn emergency!  You're pissing me off already.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, I have a set.

Ha!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember several of us following our instructors instructions to the letter while shooting them in Survival School...only to wind up with a pretty good size grass fire
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the heck do you expect to fire a flare?  Horizontally?  When would you need to use it?  Perhaps an emergency?

Fire it straight up or slightly at an angle.  I am a low post guy. . .I would expect more from you.

ETA: If you shoot up a flare, it better well be a damn emergency!  You're pissing me off already.

I do not live near the water, I know lots of guys that shoot them at shoots.

A couple of friends of mine might be getting together for a shoot in the middle of BFE, and I might bring them with me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, I have a set.

I have a set as well....somewhere.....I've never shot one off so I couldn't tell you how loud it is or how high it flies either.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't LaRue make an attachment for that?

ETA:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=186

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of friends of mine might be getting together for a shoot in the middle of BFE, and I might bring them with me.

Do you have any idea how many sorties I flew regarding flare sightings?  Risked my ass.  

Go ahead and shoot your flares, asshole. Flares are sometimes shot up in BFE.  Agencies will scramble to try to find the person in distress.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Doesn't LaRue make an attachment for that?

ETA:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=186

I remember seeing those.

Jeez, they have a tool for everything...do they have a can holder yet?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you know what happens when a pen flare goes off in a humvee full of munitions?

Yeah that happens
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you know what happens when a pen flare goes off in a humvee full of munitions?
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/ryansaur/Iraq/BurnedTruck.jpg

Yeah that happens

Did everyone make it out alright?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How loud are they?

They are not loud at all!!! It seriously sounds just like a cap gun. You cock the hand held piece (basically a lever held in by a spring and a detent).  You screw in the flare and then let loose.

They are literally the size of a pen (black in color).  The flare you screw in is roughly the size of a .223 round and is a brushed silver color.

close but not.... ..... like shooting a pistol without hearing protection . The flare is the size of a .410 shell . I have some of these , they are good for 2-300 feet straight up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, I have a set.

You dont  get laid much do you ?

just joking come on man chill out !

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/ryansaur/Iraq/BurnedTruck.jpg

Yeah that happens

Did everyone make it out alright?

Yeah, it was a close thing though.  THis was the truck in front of me.  It was major major bad luck.  The gunner had the pen flare cocked and out of stupidity he put it on the rim of the turret "for just a second"  They went over a massive bump, the flare falls in, and it flies around in the cab, finally settling in the pyro box. (full of grenades, smoke, other flares, and best of all, a thermite device.) I hopped out to see why we had stopped and see them  try the extinguisher for about 4 seconds, but I heard things starting to pop, and they all bailed.  So they grabbed their small arms and bailed.  EVERYTHING melted.  Including the .50.  We had LAW rockets and AT4's in there so it was quite a fireworks show.

ETA - About 3k .50 cal rounds cooked off too.  That was kind of scary.  No matter what anyone says, a cooked off .50 to the face will put the hurt on you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Pictures!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, I have a set.

You dont  get laid much do you ?

just joking come on man chill out !

I treat a flare sighting seriously.  People are in distress and need of help.  The OP and yourself might think of things differently, but that's alright with me.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one of those little flare guns too.  I have 3 live flares left and would love to find some more.  Would be great in the backpack for whatever.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I want to add if I find these cheap i buy more . I never seen to have enough .  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#31]
250-650ft burn for at least 4.5 seconds.

If they are fired at least 55 degrees from horizontal, they shouldn't be burning when they hit the ground.

Where did you get them from.  IIRC, the few companies that made them never released them on the civilian market, especially with .mil lot numbers...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
.....You just don't understand the seriousness of this!! Why did you edit your OP?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...Go ahead and shoot your flares, asshole. Flares are sometimes shot up in BFE.  Agencies will scramble to try to find the person in distress....

Someone needs a hug  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRItLEpFWn2tOn9Zqvtw1iQ9QR24qxwxWkKWWLGUwW7fhPRV4s&t=1&usg=__ADf363kgZUmupvc1K0iKitJOc9o=

Thanks!

Chill pill taken and I feel much better.  I didn't realize my posts came off like that.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any idea how many sorties I flew regarding flare sightings?  Risked my ass.  

Go ahead and shoot your flares, asshole. Flares are sometimes shot up in BFE.  Agencies will scramble to try to find the person in distress.

Anger management much?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Where did you get them from.  IIRC, the few companies that made them never released them on the civilian market, especially with .mil lot numbers...

Got it at a gunshow.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If they are fired at least 55 degrees from horizontal, they shouldn't be burning when they hit the ground.

This.

Beat by another coastie
They drill that info into our heads from day 1.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Please please please dont shoot them near any water. We will launch assets (air and sea) to investigate, and could take that asset away from a real emergency
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Please please please dont shoot them near any water. We will launch assets (air and sea) to investigate, and could take that asset away from a real emergency

I do not live anywhere close to anything besides a mudpuddle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#39]
After seeing this thread, I kinda want some now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After seeing this thread, I kinda want some now.

There are several commercial ones out there, you can also get spare flares for them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Used them for fireworks. At NAS.... never mind. They are fun but be careful.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#42]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0She7M1KYQ - training (Navy) using pen flares.

You can sorta get the idea how far / high they will go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They go relatively far.  There are idiots that used to shoot them off at a flat trajectory.

We used them to shoot right at motherfucker's windshields as part of our escalation of force.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#44]
http://www.truflareusa.com/single-shot.htm

quick google search brings up this, not sure if it's quite the same though...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks a shitton, guys.

Yeah, Truflare is one...so is Penguin, though Penguins flare launchers are vintage.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
We used them to shoot right at motherfucker's windshields as part of our escalation of force.

I know they can break through a car's rear window and hit the driver in the back of the head.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They go relatively far.  There are idiots that used to shoot them off at a flat trajectory.

I hit a dude on a motorcycle in the chest at 200 feet from the top-rear hatch of a moving MRAP. He pulled over.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know they can break through a car's rear window and hit the driver in the back of the head.  
And how would we know this, pray-tell?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Where did you get them from. IIRC, the few companies that made them never released them on the civilian market, especially with .mil lot numbers...
Freerider beat me by a long shot. Very few of these are for sale to the public and you won't find reloads. I'm sure you paid a pretty penny or someone stole that and sold it, so on, so forth. Anyway, once you use up the flares, Form 1 the launcher into an AOW.

ETA: last 1348 I looked at ( a while ago) MK79 kits were going for about 28-32 bucks depending on company.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top