Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 2:23:47 PM EST
I believe it is, Senior Officer Present Afloat. More info please!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:39:13 PM EST
Basically, he's the pier god. Let's say you have two or more ships moored at a pier...the senior commanding officer among those ships is the SOPA and sets the policies for pier sentries, pier sweepers, parking, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:09:58 PM EST
Thanks!
My fiancee is a retired Navy Captain.
We have a couple of Senior Chiefs who are close friends. Her nickname from the Seniors is "Sopa."
But I heard one of the Chiefs mention that she was the Senior Officer Present ASHORE; maybe they just made that up.

I do know one thing.. She does Not refer to or call these guys by their first name, even though they are best of friends. She always calls them "Senior."
She has a hell of a lot of respect for these men.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:10:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1026:
Basically, he's the pier god. Let's say you have two or more ships moored at a pier...the senior commanding officer among those ships is the SOPA and sets the policies for pier sentries, pier sweepers, parking, that sort of thing.

Not quite right, its the senior office on a ship. He does not have to be in command. If you have and Admiral assigned on board. He is the SOPA. Also it had to do with if the captain of the ship is off the ship the next highest ranking officer is the SOPA of that ship. Normally it the XO, then senior department head, and so on down the chain.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:16:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 4:17:49 PM EST by dport]
Originally Posted By HK_farmer:
Originally Posted By 1026:

Not quite right, its the senior office on a ship. He does not have to be in command. If you have and Admiral assigned on board. He is the SOPA. Also it had to do with if the captain of the ship is off the ship the next highest ranking officer is the SOPA of that ship. Normally it the XO, then senior department head, and so on down the chain.

For instance, if there is an admiral onboard a carrier he/she is likely the commander of the strike group, which is an afloat command in itself.

If my CO is the senior officer on the pier and they go home for the day, my ship still has SOPA duties. If they go on leave. My ship still has SOPA duties.

Or even better than that. If my Destroyer Squadron uses my ship as their flagship, even though they don't embark and remain at the building, and my DESRON commander (again an afloat command) is the senior officer "on the pier," my ship still has SOPA duties. Sometimes this is fun as a Commander Command gets to boss around Captain commands, who without fail, hate it.

As for senior officer on the ship referred to as SOPA, I've been in the Navy since 1993 and never have heard of that. If the CO goes away then the XO is approached on matters. If the CO and XO go away, then the senior department head is approached, but we have never called them the ship SOPA.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:26:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By dport:
As for senior officer on the ship referred to as SOPA, I've been in the Navy since 1993 and never have heard of that. If the CO goes away then the XO is approached on matters. If the CO and XO go away, then the senior department head is approached, but we have never called them the ship SOPA.

Only reason I've ever heard/saw this had to with the CDO needing someone higher than him to sign some paper work. And had to call my department head out of final qual board. I'm sure there is more details, but they called for him as that. Odd but it may have been just that command thing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:33:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 4:36:16 PM EST by Jrock82]
SOPA is also in charge of calling colors.

They will get down right and dirty when it comes to determining SOPA. the hierarchy goes like this

Rank
If they are same rank, Date of Rank
If they have the same Date of Rank, then whether they are OCS or Academy
If they are both Academy then it goes to GPA.

ETA: There is also a flag that is flown by the SOPA's ship. Let me find it.

Here it is

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:22:15 PM EST
Any idea where one could purchase the green-white-green flag?
Top Top