Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 8:55:11 AM EDT
What is the fascination with the Navy SEALs? Is their training program really the most difficult and strenous in the military? From the hype you would think that the Navy SEALs are the only special operations force in existence. Why don't they make a documentary about Army or Air Force special operations? Anytime you see anything on TV it's always Navy SEAL training or Navy SEAL declassified mission recreations or this or that. Not that it isn't interesting, but I'd like to see more stuff about Air Force and Army special forces. I hear that Pararescue and Combat Controll have pretty difficult training as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#1]
You wouldn't get it man. I was there man. Guadal canal, Vietnams (theys got good shrimps), Tunguska, I'VE BEEN THERE MAN

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I wanna know, with all the difficult training you see on TV, where do they fit in training for the majestic art of selling jerky?  When does that evolution take place?  Or is that the advanced course?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I know why I respect them so much:  I can't swim for shit.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
it's all about PR

SEALS have spent a good amount of energy on PR both directly and indirectly, and therefore have grown a stygma about them that army and AF guys don't have.

I would venture to say a AF PJ, Army Delta, and MC spec ops guy are all on par with SEALS in terms of training and ability.  The difference comes in specialization, not toughness/ability.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the fascination with the Navy SEALs? Is their training program really the most difficult and strenous in the military? From the hype you would think that the Navy SEALs are the only special operations force in existence. Why don't they make a documentary about Army or Air Force special operations? Anytime you see anything on TV it's always Navy SEAL training or Navy SEAL declassified mission recreations or this or that. Not that it isn't interesting, but I'd like to see more stuff about Air Force and Army special forces. I hear that Pararescue and Combat Controll have pretty difficult training as well.

the other branches have tough training too.  But, I think their specific water training is what puts them above in the riggors of training.  So, before I get flamed, I ask how many can truly say they are 100% comfortable in water?  My guess is that most have no idea what that means.  Talk to any SEAL or Naval aviator or aircrewman.  Being good in the water doesnt mean you can swim well.  Infact swimming is only a part of being good in water.  These guys are as at home in water as you and I are on land.  the water offers everything tha a human is afraid of and the make sure you are stressed when you are put through these experiences.  Confined space, darkness, disorientation, cold, restricted movement, not to mention being in water that is dark, deep, and rough.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Exactly, they can do a lot of tasks and missions that other groups cannot.

Just the name SEALS tells you what they can do.

Not to mention they have goofy movie, a serial book title etc.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Two words: Charlie Sheen

If he would have made a movie about Combat Controllers, we would see them everywhere instead of SEALs
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#8]
They have them (other SF units) on TV all the time....They are all boring (except the ones on the Discovery Times Channel (uncut, raw footage, little talk..).

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Basically, if you have to ask what makes them so special...then you don't really understand the issue.  I believe that the SEAL training syllabus is nearly two years in length, learning everything from soup to nuts about special warfare.  They do go to other service schools to learn specialty stuff like jumping out of perfectly good aircraft.

Because SEALs are water creatures, they are different from the other SPECOPS dudes in that they spend most of their time training in the ocean.  I am NOT denigrating the other guys at all...they are all true warriors and great at what they do.  I am simply stating that the SEALs add another dimension to the training of a special warrior.  And yes...I am well aware that the other services also get wet...but not like the SEALs.

If you like to swim and can stand the bitter cold of the rough California surf, on top of all of the other stressing training, then maybe SEAL training is for you.  

One of my best friends and old shipmates has a SEAL son.  The kid is now a LCDR snakeater and one of the calmest, most intelligent officers you would ever want to meet.  He is also one of the coolest, baddest dudes on the planet.  I would NOT want to be his enemy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is the fascination with the Navy SEALs?

It is all in the name. "SEALs!"  The air force doesn't call their guys "parrots" or what not and no one says send in the Army Badgers. So it doesn't have that special quality of... a web footed mammle that eats fish and has bad breath..
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Two words: Charlie Sheen

If he would have made a movie about Combat Controllers, we would see them everywhere instead of SEALs

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know why I respect them so much:  I can't swim for shit.  hr

+1    
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Not to mention Americans have a fascination with winners.  SEALS everyone that gets through BUDS is a winner in one way or another.   Best of the best and Americans love that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Have you guys seen the special on the PJ's? While it is TV, it gave more insight into their training than I knew before. Not only are they adapted to life under/over/ water, to do ER floor rotations for medical training, on top of all the hooah badge collecting schools..prettttyy squared away.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#16]
One time at Navy Seal camp.........
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One time at Navy Seal camp.........

Bama-Shooter placed the muzzle of his M4 in his.....
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Any PJ can swim as well as a SEAL.
They do the inital pararescue training here at Lackland. Good guys--not show-offs at all. Silent professionals--like most of the Spec Ops community.

SEAL training and their specialty is what sets them apart. BUD/S has an enormous wash-out rate, and just cause you make it through first phase--doesn't mean squat. You don't get your budweiser until just befoer you are assigned to a Team. Then, training starts all over.

I disagree that it's all PR. They are tough, intelligent warriors with a no-quit attitude. I wouldn't want to be going up against a froggy in a fight.

pato
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
it's all about PR

SEALS have spent a good amount of energy on PR both directly and indirectly, and therefore have grown a stygma about them that army and AF guys don't have.

I would venture to say a AF PJ, Army Delta, and MC spec ops guy are all on par with SEALS in terms of training and ability.  The difference comes in specialization, not toughness/ability.

And they all do a LOT of cross-training under the SOCOM umbrella.  They can all conduct the same missions, but they have different specialties.  For instance, SEALs and Force Recon can both conduct hostage rescue and counter-terrorism operations, but that is what CAG (Delta) specializes in.  Likewise, CAG can do underwater demolitions, but that's a traditional SEAL job.  Also, our operators cross-train with foreign forces, such as Germany's GSG-9, KSK and Kampfschwimmergruppe, British and Australian SAS, French GIGN, amongst others.  We probably even train with Russian Spetznaz these days.  So, not only are American Special Forces/Special Operations Forces (there is a difference) on the same page, most of our allies' equivalent forces are right up there too.  Even our conventional forces do a lot of cross-training, for instance, the 10th Mountain Division can pull off pretty much anything that the 75th Ranger Regiment can do, as can the 26th MEU (SOC).  It really is a question of speciality, but they are all cross-trained.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Because US Army SF keeps their mouths shut.
The Quiet Professionals.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Eventually the end up on the gun show circuit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Because US Army SF keeps their mouths shut.
The Quiet Professionals.

www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#24]
It's all a hoax. The Navy doesn't have these SEALs everyone seems so infatuated with.

The SEAL campaign is the biggest and best government disinformation campaign since Roswell.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]
forget the SEALS man...

I've done got me one hundred
    and fifty-seven dead gooks killed. And fifty
    water buffaloes, too. Them're all certified.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Watch this documentary and all your questions will be answered.

Well, maybe not the age-old question: Why do they gain so much weight when they quit the service and start working gun shows?  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link is dead?

I think a better thread would be 'why so many FAKE Seals?

Everytime someone tells me they were one, I contact veri-seal, and actually did it recently to a guy I worked with, name w/held.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top